Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex and Rugby Union

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wasps were based in London for over 100 years, so I think it's pretty fair to call them a London club. They were at Adams Park for a little over 11 years, not 15. I've no idea where their fanbase comes from but I wouldn't mind betting that most of them came from London rather than Wycombe. Do you think it likely that most of our gates when we played at Priestfield were made up of people from Gillingham? They'd have been a few but they'd have been a minority.

They have quite a few in Sussex as well. Although it is historically Quins territory.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
From my experience about 9 out of 10 rugby fans hate football and all that they see it standing for so feck them. Do not want to see the pitch knackered to accommodate another sport with no affiliation with the area. 5,000 to 8,000 crowds max after the novelty wears off.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
From my experience about 9 out of 10 rugby fans hate football and all that they see it standing for so feck them. Do not want to see the pitch knackered to accommodate another sport with no affiliation with the area. 5,000 to 8,000 crowds max after the novelty wears off.
That's the complete opposite to my experiences. I regularly watch London Scottish and there is no anti - football sentiment.

Many of the big Brighton RFC supporters are Brighton fans to boot.

If anything, rugby fans should pity the association cousins. They have cheapish tickets and can drink beer within view of the pitch.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
People have a go at Franchise club Mk Dons[Which i don't agree with]Yet Rugby just seems to accept all these franchises.

Not in England. There are no franchises. Although Wasps fans may have some issue with that statement. Irish have a long lease at Reading, Sale have stayed in their region, Saracens have a permanent home now. The others have long established quarters.

The Welsh, Irish and Scots regionalised there professional set up for the economics of the game, but local club identity is strong. NFL- Rugby is not.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If all these rugby teams are so well supported why haven't they built their own grounds intsead of sharing with tinpot football teams like Reading.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If all these rugby teams are so well supported why haven't they built their own grounds intsead of sharing with tinpot football teams like Reading.

The rugby teams all do have their own crowds: the problem is not the lack of support but the fact that they're too well supported.

I used to be a season ticket holder at London Welsh. It was a great experience to pop along to Old Deer Park for an afternoon, have a beer and stand on the touchline watching the game. There was a small stand but it looked like it was about to blow over any moment. When it was an amateur game, LW used to get crowds of about a thousand and ODP could comfortably hold that.

However, when the Welsh started climbing the league and made its way to the Prem, there was no way that the ground could hold the number of people who wanted to come to the game, so the club had to groundshare with Oxford. That's a story that is repeated up and down the country.

Sky brought some good money to rugby and the clubs get decent crowds but it's not even close to the amount that football gets - certainly not enough to build new stadiums. And many of the clubs are London clubs would probably have a good deal of difficulty developing them even if they did had the money. There's no way that Richmond council would allow Old Deer Park to be redeveloped, for example

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The rugby teams all do have their own crowds: the problem is not the lack of support but the fact that they're too well supported.

I used to be a season ticket holder at London Welsh. It was a great experience to pop along to Old Deer Park for an afternoon, have a beer and stand on the touchline watching the game. There was a small stand but it looked like it was about to blow over any moment. When it was an amateur game, LW used to get crowds of about a thousand and ODP could comfortably hold that.

However, when the Welsh started climbing the league and made its way to the Prem, there was no way that the ground could hold the number of people who wanted to come to the game, so the club had to groundshare with Oxford. That's a story that is repeated up and down the country.

Sky brought some good money to rugby and the clubs get decent crowds but it's not even close to the amount that football gets - certainly not enough to build new stadiums. And many of the clubs are London clubs would probably have a good deal of difficulty developing them even if they did had the money. There's no way that Richmond council would allow Old Deer Park to be redeveloped, for example

Just had a quick look at some of their attendances this year - slightly better than Crawley Town.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People have a go at Franchise club Mk Dons[Which i don't agree with]Yet Rugby just seems to accept all these franchises.
I know MK Dons are always referred to as 'Franchise FC' but there IS no franchise system for football or rugby. Rugby clubs have moved out of their ancestral homes when the popularity of rugby meant the old grounds became too small with no possibility for expansion. (A bit like MK Dons but I've no wish to re-open that can of worms).

As someone who nowadays prefers rugby union to association football I think it would be brilliant if we could have a rugby team at the Amex. Ideally I'd want it to be local (and ideally a combination of the Brighton and Hove Clubs!), not a London team re-locating. However I accept that for a vast number of reasons it ain't going to happen.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just had a quick look at some of their attendances this year - slightly better than Crawley Town.

Exactly. Even playing 50 miles from home and bottom of the league, they're still getting four or five times the gate they were getting at ODP - the ground just couldn't have coped with those sort of attendances

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Exactly. Even playing 50 miles from home and bottom of the league, they're still getting four or five times the gate they were getting at ODP - the ground just couldn't have coped with those sort of attendances

No need for an Amex sized stadium then.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I don't think Wasps would have ever come here - there were looking for stability. In Coventry they have that - they play in a stadium that they own (Coventry City FC being the tenants). After years of renting, Wasps were keen to build something for their future. Looks like it is working, too.

Will be interesting to see what Bath do - it seems their plan to sympathetically redevelop the rec has fallen apart.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No need for an Amex sized stadium then.

Indeed - but no-one has suggested that (although moving to Crawley would be a bit closer than Oxford). Amex would have been great for the Wasps though (before they moved to the Ricoh that is)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Looks like it won't be happening.

HT Toulon 22-6 Wasps

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here