Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham's group sold final piece of land to build new MLS stadium in Miami

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
If anyone could make a success of a Miami football club it would be Beckham.

The key thing is the quality of the football and despite the Chinese Super League I still think the MLS will be an attractive proposition for the likes of Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard who have already made their big bucks and fancy dropping down a level without the grind of the Championship.

A lot of MLS clubs are starting to move away from the model of importing aging big name players from Europe – Gerard and Lampard were not exactly runaway successes at LA Galaxy and NYCFC. Clubs like Red Bulls are now making more use of their Youth Academies and giving their younger players a chance. In a way it shows MLS is maturing and is relying less on trying to import success and creating it from the domestic market instead.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7969248 said:
"Miami Beckham United" :lolol:

Please tell me that's the actual name of the Team and not just the parent company!

Let's just hope they don't come up with an embarrassing disaster of a nickname like the Beckham Benders (of course named after David's famous curved shots) :facepalm:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A lot of MLS clubs are starting to move away from the model of importing aging big name players from Europe – Gerard and Lampard were not exactly runaway successes at LA Galaxy and NYCFC. Clubs like Red Bulls are now making more use of their Youth Academies and giving their younger players a chance. In a way it shows MLS is maturing and is relying less on trying to import success and creating it from the domestic market instead.

I take your point, but you cannot replicate world class players overnight and I'm mindful of the huge impact Vicente's quality had on the fans during his mixed spell at the Albion (5 goals in 32). Gerrard's record at LA was similar at 5 in 34, Lampard's a decent 15 in 29.

I think older players will want to play in the MLS and the fans will want to watch them too. You could see Rooney playing the inaugural season, Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Gareth Bale after that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good for David, he's had a bad few months where he's hardly been in the news at all, this might just be the lift he needs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly this.

A very smart move by Beckham due to the aforementioned huge Latino population, warm location, close to Europe and with about 16 million tourists visiting Miami each year, many football fans might be tempted to take in a game if the stadium is close to the city and cheapish ticket prices.

And he speaks Latin, too, I gather.

I still LOVE David. I hope he smashes it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I've watched quite a bit of the MLS (Seattle Sounders being my team) and although it's clearly improving, it's still pretty shit. Sort of bottom of the Championship / decent League 1 standard but with added drum banging, loud hailers and completely organised chanting and flag waving. Like a higher quality Crystal Palace but played in great stadiums instead of a decrepit, piss stinking cowshed filled with muppet chavs.

Difficult to get excited about really but I hope it continues to improve. The potential in the US is clearly massive with the population, the facilities and the emphasis on sport in schools and colleges. Maybe we could get a feeder club....... Miami and Aventura Albion FC.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've watched quite a bit of the MLS (Seattle Sounders being my team) and although it's clearly improving, it's still pretty shit. Sort of bottom of the Championship / decent League 1 standard but with added drum banging, loud hailers and completely organised chanting and flag waving. Like a higher quality Crystal Palace but played in great stadiums instead of a decrepit, piss stinking cowshed filled with muppet chavs.

Difficult to get excited about really but I hope it continues to improve. The potential in the US is clearly massive with the population, the facilities and the emphasis on sport in schools and colleges. Maybe we could get a feeder club....... Miami and Aventura Albion FC.

MLS has the same fatal flaw as all US sports though - no promotion or relegation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
MLS has the same fatal flaw as all US sports though - no promotion or relegation.
Not sure this is really a "fatal flaw" is it? It's just the way it is there. The big advantage is that if you're pìssed off that your owner/chairman isn't doing his job properly, you can safely walk away in the knowledge that you'll be able to come back once he's fcked off.

Although this brings me to the REAL fatal flaw with US sports - that owners can get taxpayers to pony up for a new stadium, then threaten to just up sticks and move elsewhere if they don't chip in for a shiny new $500m stadium 15 years later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here