Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England and Wales come together in lille

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm 53, and I've pretty much the same conclusion. All my energies go into supporting the Albion. I'm honestly not fussed whether England win or lose today - thanks to a small (?) minority of clueless idiots/thugs, I feel I just cannot be proud of my own national team any more.

I think you'll find a few mindless idiots follow most football teams in this country too...If I let that bother me I'd never end up watching any games

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Got back from the game about an hour ago. Have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the camaraderie between the English and Welsh fans today. We kept out heads down in Marseille as we knew it would be a nightmare, but decided to brave it in Lens. We needn’t have worried - both sets of fans mingled happily in the bars and on the streets, plenty of good natured ribbing but nothing too offensive or provocative. National anthems observed respectfully – the England fans even managed a round of applause after the Welsh one. In fact, the only person who threatened to turn things nasty was that t**t Gareth Bale when he deliberately and unnecessarily celebrated his goal right in front of the England fans. How did that work out for you Gareth?

Crossing my fingers for those left in Lille tonight and then hoping for a quieter time down in St Etienne, with any luck most of the hoolies (and all sides) willl have punched themselves out by then.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Got back from the game about an hour ago. Have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the camaraderie between the English and Welsh fans today. We kept out heads down in Marseille as we knew it would be a nightmare, but decided to brave it in Lens. We needn’t have worried - both sets of fans mingled happily in the bars and on the streets, plenty of good natured ribbing but nothing too offensive or provocative. National anthems observed respectfully – the England fans even managed a round of applause after the Welsh one. In fact, the only person who threatened to turn things nasty was that t**t Gareth Bale when he deliberately and unnecessarily celebrated his goal right in front of the England fans. How did that work out for you Gareth?

Crossing my fingers for those left in Lille tonight and then hoping for a quieter time down in St Etienne, with any luck most of the hoolies (and all sides) willl have punched themselves out by then.

Agreed. All been very peaceful in Lille & Lens day and night and felt like a tournament. Just got in from town in Lille and had a bit of a laugh with some Welsh who largely accept defeat well.

Also agree RE Bale and his band of village hill folk, leading them over to celebrate in front of the England fans and goading them so early in the game. Loved Rooney ripping off his celebration at the end too grabbing the camera.

Tin point country and on England march

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agreed. All been very peaceful in Lille & Lens day and night and felt like a tournament. Just got in from town in Lille and had a bit of a laugh with some Welsh who largely accept defeat well.

Also agree RE Bale and his band of village hill folk, leading them over to celebrate in front of the England fans and goading them so early in the game. Loved Rooney ripping off his celebration at the end too grabbing the camera.

Tin point country and on England march

Lovely scenes on the box after that second goal and at full time...hopefully England and Wales can get the rights results next up ...Russia will be out and we can all move on

galebs

Jan 28, 2008
Bexhill
I would just like to say what a great atmosphere in lens around the bars , streets and in the ground. Wales , England and some random groups from other countries all singing dancing having fun without any trouble or over the top police tactics .

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006

As you were at the game you probably wouldn't have heard as fans at opposite ends of the stadium but both national anthems were booed by opposition fans and England were very loudly booed off at half-time by their own fans.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
As you were at the game you probably wouldn't have heard as fans at opposite ends of the stadium but both national anthems were booed by opposition fans and England were very loudly booed off at half-time by their own fans.

I most certainly heard the boos myself. I'm surpised by his comment because it was loud and clear.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we got the result but all in all nothing to get excited about...as usual , was like watching a blind pensioner trying to insert a knitting needle into a power point......!!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Mission accomplished. In the same way as the Albion should never lose to Crawley, England should never lose to Wales.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I most certainly heard the boos myself. I'm surpised by his comment because it was loud and clear.

As we know from The Amex, the acoustics at grounds can be deceptive, but I was in the main England end and I can assure you that the Welsh anthem was fully respected and applauded by all those around me - and I was quite near the top so I could see the hands go up as the anthem finished. I guess a few boos register on TV a lot more than thousands of people standing in silence. No denying that the team were booed off at half time by many though, however I believe this was aimed more at Roy's tactics than the individual players (maybe Sterling aside!). Doesn't change the fact that the overall experience, from my perspective, was one of mutual respect and everyone just having a bloody good time - Welsh and English, just as it should be. Hopefully St Etienne will continue that trend.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Mission accomplished. In the same way as the Albion should never lose to Crawley, England should never lose to Wales.

I'd imagine Frnace would feel the same way regarding Albania....as you said a win is a win and that's all that counted yesterday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here