Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
stand to be corrected, but im pretty sure that the online services are all provided by a central third party, controlling the timetable database and feed sources. your story suggests that the "live" feed is simply playback of the expected timetable, and not an attempt to pretend a service is doing better than it really did.

No. It says 'train has arrived' about three minutes before it has done so - irrespective of whether it's late or not.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We need to arrange direct action. A day where peak time commuters don't buy a ticket or leave their rail cards at home. It will become a H&S matter at London Bridge & Victoria, they'll be forced to open the gate and miss out on hundreds of thousands of pounds revenue.

I believe they did similar on the Oxford-Paddington line a few years back when they were equally as shit

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
We need to arrange direct action. A day where peak time commuters don't buy a ticket or leave their rail cards at home. It will become a H&S matter at London Bridge & Victoria, they'll be forced to open the gate and miss out on hundreds of thousands of pounds revenue.

I think that (open gates, no ticket checking, but a full service manned by all concerned) - as a form of industrial action from the unions - is preferable to a strike.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I believe they did similar on the Oxford-Paddington line a few years back when they were equally as shit

That is interesting. Did it have the desired affect?

Would take a hell of a lot of organising though and would it really hit Southern that hard? Surely most folk would be on annual, monthly or weekly tickets so have already paid for that journey. Plus at manned stations how would people get through the gates at their origin?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Govenment making a fortune out of GTR (see here for good Argus piece http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1454...overnment_to_step_in_and_sort_out_our_trains/). The Conservative MP's wont do anything as the government is making a fortune out of GTR. Have written to Nicholas Soames and tweeted him and his answer was to block me. Unfortunately living in Mid Sussex means you are party to all the morons who vote for hime time after time regardless of his record. Too busy with his other jobs rather than being an MP and representing his constituents.

The service is ridiculous at the moment. Worked on Vienna for 9 months where the trains and all public transport is nationalised with proper government money, runs like clockwork

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Govenment making a fortune out of GTR (see here for good Argus piece http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1454...overnment_to_step_in_and_sort_out_our_trains/). The Conservative MP's wont do anything as the government is making a fortune out of GTR. Have written to Nicholas Soames and tweeted him and his answer was to block me. Unfortunately living in Mid Sussex means you are party to all the morons who vote for hime time after time regardless of his record. Too busy with his other jobs rather than being an MP and representing his constituents.

The service is ridiculous at the moment. Worked on Vienna for 9 months where the trains and all public transport is nationalised with proper government money, runs like clockwork

Interesting.

I know someone who works for Nick Herbert (MP for Arundel and South Downs). She was saying that Herbert, Soames et al were utterly pissed off with Southern and wanted them properly held to account. Of course, they're not shouting it from the highest rooftops - that's political treachery, old boy. But they want Claire Perry to pull her finger out.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
That is also an almost daily occurrence on the Uckfield line. I've seen it on numerous occasions we've departed Cowden and in reality we've not even left Edenbridge Town.

View attachment 75491

Two minutes to get from Eridge to Crowborough is just laughable!

That really is going some. The trouble is when it gets that late, they terminate the train at Crowborough and turn it round back to London. Meaning a lovely wait for those of us who actually want to get the train to where it said it was going.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
That is also an almost daily occurrence on the Uckfield line. I've seen it on numerous occasions we've departed Cowden and in reality we've not even left Edenbridge Town.

View attachment 75491

Two minutes to get from Eridge to Crowborough is just laughable!

Also not forgetting that the departure time would need to allow all those commuters to filter from carriages 7 & 8 to get off carriage 6 (assuming this train was one of the seemingly rare occasions the service was not short formed!)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Certainly needs escalating in an imaginative peaceful manner to the point where it makes the headlines in the national and international news. Its the only way to force the regulators, MPs and ministers to stop sitting on their hands and leaving commuters, tourists and everybody else to suffer their fate at the hands of this most toxic of companies. It must be causing massive damage to the economy in terms of lost productivity, and gives a wretched first impression of the country to visitors. If any normal retail company treated their customers in such a deeply shameful manner, they'd go bust overnight.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Govenment making a fortune out of GTR (see here for good Argus piece http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1454...overnment_to_step_in_and_sort_out_our_trains/). The Conservative MP's wont do anything as the government is making a fortune out of GTR.

you may have misread or misunderstood, the government cant make money from something that it has to subsidise. GTR might well be making some money. item of note in that article is that it flatly refutes the claim from some on here the changes are to drive increases in revenue from tickets, but does highlight cost saving incentive, which i think we all knew anyway.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I'm hoping that one of you long suffering commuters can offer some advice.....

When they cancel one of the early trains, is it generally announced the night before or is it literally sprung on you first thing?

We need to catch a train at around 06:15 on Saturday morning and have tight connections all the way to, ultimately, Marseille. I'm starting to think we might be better off staying in London on Friday night.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm hoping that one of you long suffering commuters can offer some advice.....

When they cancel one of the early trains, is it generally announced the night before or is it literally sprung on you first thing?

We need to catch a train at around 06:15 on Saturday morning and have tight connections all the way to, ultimately, Marseille. I'm starting to think we might be better off staying in London on Friday night.

In my experience, it's pretty much sprung on you but I would be surprised if more than one of the very early trains are cancelled so if you aim to get the earlier one with the fallback of the later one you should* be okay.

*huge caveat, of course!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting that on Twitter they blamed a short formation of 12 to 8 on no conductor and there being a safety issue for the driver not seeing the back of the train. Now deleted..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In my experience, it's pretty much sprung on you but I would be surprised if more than one of the very early trains are cancelled so if you aim to get the earlier one with the fallback of the later one you should* be okay.

*huge caveat, of course!

Kind of true but a lot of early west Coastway to London have been cancelled before 7am during the week. In this thread there is a website that gives you stats of certain services.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
West Coastway seems to be an utter farce again tonight.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Tonight's episode is entitled "How To Get From Worthing To Newhaven In Just Two Hours"

:nono:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Got to go to the office tomorrow so will go for the earlier train as it seems to be an endurance test of late.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here