Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-matt-hancock-mp-lowering-of-retirement-age-for-front-line-

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
To be honest most of those who get to late 50’s early 60’s simply walk away and take “early retirement”.

Unfortunately those in the private sector can't do that.

Why should someone in the private sector work till they're 67 to pay for someone in the public sector to retire at 60?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Unfortunately those in the private sector can't do that.

Why should someone in the private sector work till they're 67 to pay for someone in the public sector to retire at 60?

Are you against the police and fire service being able to retire at 60?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Are you going to answer my question?

No, I'm not against the Fire Service retiring at 60 - they have paid (I believe) 14% of their Salary into their pension.

Police - are they not capable of working in an office at 65?

But where do you draw the line as to who should and shouldn't get their pension at 60? Can a plumber, on their hands and knees all day work till they're 67? A scaffolder? A hod carrier?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I know three firemen who have been laid off on what I believe are decent pensions due to bad backs at quite a young age, late 30’s early 40’s. I saw one, an ex neighbour of mine, lifting a Mini Metro by hand to let his son put in axle stands. He LOVED early retirement :smile:

Firefighters got back one 60th of their pension for each year of service if they retired in their 30s / 40s, until the scheme changed a few years ago. They may have got up to an additional 7 60ths if they could prove the injury was caused by their work - subject to continuous review that the condition still exists, otherwise the enhanced rate may be withdrawn.

To get that, they (currently) pay either 12.9 or 13.5% of their salary into their pension scheme - an increase from the previous 12.7 or 13.5% rate (spending on their salary band). I am guessing you don't pay that much in to your scheme? Not many people do.

See http://www.myownpension.co.uk/documents/Fire/FPS%202015/FPS_2015_Guide.pdf for details.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Err, yep, especially if talking about their state rather than occupational pension.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here