Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory party annual conference Birmingham

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough, the memory plays tricks at my age, but, the Leavers should have united behind one candidate and let them have a clear run at May.
Now, a lot of the remainer advocates stand on the sidelines sniping at May while she attempts to make a deal that won’t either bankrupt the country, or split it asunder.

It's the worst job in the world isn't it, and I include the bloke I see emptying the dog poo bins in that.

It is a "no win" from every angle.

It was a great election for Labour to lose last time round.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Brexit goes against freedom and opportunity. She is a liar when she says her party are for it unless she stops it.

[tweet]1047032564601499650[/tweet]

Gibralter is staying ?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Then why didn’t a Leaver step up to challenge her for the leadership in the first days after the vote?

There was no leadership contest, a coronation of May as leader, none of the Leaver leading lights had the balls to take up the gauntlet, instead, they let a remainer take a poisoned chalice.

I make no bones about the fact that I don’t like May,but, she has more guts than all of the Leaver pissants put together.

I agree. It did seem strange that David Cameron left because he was a remainer, and was replaced by another. I can't think why a leaver did not get the gig.

You would probably have got a much harder brexit with a leaver in #10. Maybe by having a remainer in charge of brexit, you might (only might) get a deal that both the leavers and remainers could both be happy with. I know that no remainer will be happy to leave the EU, but the will of the people and democracy must be respected.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree. It did seem strange that David Cameron left because he was a remainer, and was replaced by another. I can't think why a leaver did not get the gig.

(sigh) Because a leaver wasn't elected. In the old days, the men in suits just picked a leader but it wasn't been like that for more than 40 years. If the Tories wanted a leaver as leader, they'd have picked one ... but they didn't.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You know that Mrs May is a remainer, just like you?

No she isn't. She's the Prime Minister. Her duty is to do best for this country.

She stood up today and said that her party should stand for opportunity. That graphic shows that to be a lie if she carries on with this self harming shambolic loss of rights for millions.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
(sigh) Because a leaver wasn't elected. In the old days, the men in suits just picked a leader but it wasn't been like that for more than 40 years. If the Tories wanted a leaver as leader, they'd have picked one ... but they didn't.

May wasn't elected, the other candidates quit, Theresa won by default.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No she isn't. She's the Prime Minister. Her duty is to do best for this country.

Maybe someone should remind her of her duty.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I'd like to see the next set of polls. Wouldn't mind betting that the Tories now have a strong lead. Had May come out fighting like this during the last election she would have had a much bigger majority. Still baffled why she virtually disappeared during the election and refused to take part in any of the tv debates. Massive own goal that can only be explained if she had health issues which is all I can come up with.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

She stood up today and said that her party should stand for opportunity. That graphic shows that to be a lie if she carries on with this self harming shambolic loss of rights for millions.

She can only do that by following the democratic process. It would take a total fool to ignore the vote and allow the majority of the country to be ignored.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
May wasn't elected, the other candidates quit, Theresa won by default.

Not true. In the first stage of the election, Crabb, Fox and Gove didn't get enough votes so they didn't go through (but they didn't quit).

The final stage of the election would have been between May and Leadsom (and Leadsom quit). But, if she had stood she'd have been completely drubbed. She had no chance once she came out with that stuff about May not understanding family concerns because she wasn't a mother. But Leadsom wouldn't have quit if she'd had a remote chance of winning

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Still baffled why she virtually disappeared during the election and refused to take part in any of the tv debates.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-may-broadcasters-complaint-interview-refusal-jon-snow/

Broadcasters have written to Theresa May‘s head of communications complaining at the “unprecedented” decision to limit the number of interviews given by the Prime Minister. Representatives from several news organisations criticised Mrs May’s lack of availability for one-to-one broadcast interviews at the Tory conference in Birmingham.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Maybe someone should remind her of her duty.

Quite funny when she starts accusing Labour of putting their party before the country, from the party that have completely divided Britain for their own self interest.

Well delivered speech to be fair, but really of very little substance, stealing spreadsheet Phil's thunder and announcing a freeze in fuel duty showed again we really are in a zombie parliament when almost nothing has been achieved.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
She can only do that by following the democratic process. It would take a total fool to ignore the vote and allow the majority of the country to be ignored.

Yeah but considering nobody knows what Brexit is yet nobody knows who is being ignored and who isn't.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What a total and utter mess, a speech with absolutely nothing to offer, a hypocritical mention of Dianne Abbot when she sanctioned the attacks on her and the 'dancing' which should just about finish her off as Prime Minister. Maggie Thatcher must be spinning in her grave after seeing a Tory PM act like a total and utter f**k wit , whoever thought that was a good idea should be shot

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You're missing the point. The graph was specifically about freedom of movement: there is absolutely nothing stopping her from keeping FoM and still leaving the EU

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah but considering nobody knows what Brexit is yet nobody knows who is being ignored and who isn't.

Do you really think that? I knew before the vote and I'm even more sure now.

Out of the single market/ability to do trade deals with other countries independently
Control of our laws
Control of our borders and immigration

I think most people would come up with the same headline big 3 with little difficulty.

D

Deleted member 22389

She also said, in her speech outside number 10 when she first became leader, she’d prioritize mental health care. Aside from systemically cutting funding, how’s that going? I presume it’s fixed given she is now moving onto trains?

It wasn't any better under labour. I had a real struggle getting my dad a bed when he became mentally ill. Eventually things got so bad for us he was sectioned and finally started getting some treatment. Things will always be lacking in certain areas whatever party runs this country.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
You're missing the point. The graph was specifically about freedom of movement: there is absolutely nothing stopping her from keeping FoM and still leaving the EU

Which graph?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Had May come out fighting like this during the last election she would have had a much bigger majority. Still baffled why she virtually disappeared during the election and refused to take part in any of the tv debates. Massive own goal that can only be explained if she had health issues which is all I can come up with.

Have you seen her though ? Just look at the state of it. All she can do is read out speeches from an autocue. Put her in front of an audience of voters where she actually has to try to answer questions, or (god help us) DEBATE with someone, and she is a complete and utter carcrash. Its all very well starting every single answer with the line "I've always been very clear...", but when you are only equipped to read from a script and regurgitate party-line soundbites ad-infinitum, you're going to get pulled apart.

Her advisors were spot on in not putting the Maybot on a live TV debate. It would have been an unmitigated disaster for her.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here