Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] *** Labour Party Annual Conference, 23-25 September 2018, ACC Liverpool ***

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
John Healey (Housing shadow) on now.

120,000 children in the UK without somewhere to call home tonight.

The next Labour government will be the most radical on housing since the great Labour government post-war.

Commitment to "end rough sleeping in a parliament" - presumably is undeliverable as an absolute but has to be the aim for Labour (Tories are allowed not to aim for it...).

"Councils building Council Housing again..." - sounds like an old school left wing policy but presumably will be updated for the 21st Century and why not?

Tax levy on second homes seems fair enough.

Yep. :clap2:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blimey, I'd completely forgotten John McDonnell existed until today. When was the last time the Shadow Chancellor did or said anything of substance before today?

Hopefully he'll crawl back to the same hole once he's done at this conference, never to be seen again.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
BBC clearly think he has smashed it out of the park...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 09-24-18 at 02.51 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 09-24-18 at 02.51 PM.JPG
    832.4 KB · Views: 157

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep and the country will be bankrupt again , just like the last time Labour were in power

I just cannot understand why anybody would say this (well, unless you believe any old right wing shit). They didn't bankrupt the country last time at all. Sure, they borrowed, but there's nothing wrong with borrowing if you have the ability to pay it back - that's how economies work.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
McDonnell ! Jeez..Trotskyite IRA supporting Communist....God help us if he ever has a prominent position of power in a government.....

Let's hope they self combust and fight their way to oblivion.....

TNBA

TTF

Agree if Corbyn and his henchmen ever heaven forbid got into power , it would be the biggest threat to our national security for over 40 years. We want old labour back, we don't want communists in charge. Most people with even one brain cell have seen them for what they are. A nasty bunch of extremists who would bankrupt our country.

Not saying May is great but at least she is a decent human being , Corbyn isn't.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Can anyone explain why free tuition fees is a thing but regressive please? Why should the bin man’s taxes pay for the bankers kids to go to uni? I just don’t get it. If people go to uni and don’t earn much afterwards then they don’t pay anything back and it is eventually just written off. Whereas if you go to uni and then earn loads you pay it back. We need to stop seeing it as fees and just for what it is I.e. a graduate tax. The difference between disadvantaged families and non disadvantaged has actually narrowed under the current government.

I don’t get why people see tuition fees as A great policy. Please can someone explain.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Usual Labour rubbish promising the earth and not knowing how to pay for it other than taking it from the wealthy in taxes so that they are forced to move abroad to protect their money and thus pay less tax and jobs go with their companies etc..

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Usual Labour rubbish promising the earth and not knowing how to pay for it other than taking it from the wealthy in taxes so that they are forced to move abroad to protect their money and thus pay less tax and jobs go with their companies etc..

:wanker:

D

Deleted member 22389

So true. Would never vote for this party again.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
£500 a year in dividends? That's a lot of free shares being given away. What about employees of companies that don't pay dividends? Is he going to force them to pay one? Typical conference bs policy soundbite that won't go anywhere.

The £500 is a cap, and I assume the £500 or whatever lower amount the dividend is will be reduced by tax once the dividend is declared on the employees tax return,

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House

They don't stay abroad for long when they get ill and want the NHS though do they?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They don't stay abroad for long when they get ill and want the NHS though do they?

I’d be very surprised if any very wealthy people don’t have private health insurance. However what you say is very true of people who retire to sunny places without anything but a pension.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can anyone explain why free tuition fees is a thing but regressive please? Why should the bin man’s taxes pay for the bankers kids to go to uni? I just don’t get it. If people go to uni and don’t earn much afterwards then they don’t pay anything back and it is eventually just written off. Whereas if you go to uni and then earn loads you pay it back. We need to stop seeing it as fees and just for what it is I.e. a graduate tax. The difference between disadvantaged families and non disadvantaged has actually narrowed under the current government.

I don’t get why people see tuition fees as A great policy. Please can someone explain.

Some very muddled thinking there.

Proportionally, given the levels of taxes the two would be paying, it would mostly be the banker's taxes paying for both his and the binman's kids to go to Uni.

And with the removal of fees, the binman's kids would be far more likely to go into third-level education. Because, regardless of how you spin it as a 'graduate tax' or 'soft debt' it IS still a debt of £30k, that kids from a lower income background are far less likely to be comfortable with taking on.

As for your claim about the gap between 'advantaged and disadvantaged families narrowing', under this government, I'm lost for a suitable response. The exponential rise in reliance on food banks, seems to rather dispel your assertion.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Some very muddled thinking there.

Proportionally, given the levels of taxes the two would be paying, it would mostly be the banker's taxes paying for both his and the binman's kids to go to Uni.

And with the removal of fees, the binman's kids would be far more likely to go into third-level education. Because, regardless of how you spin it as a 'graduate tax' or 'soft debt' it IS still a debt of £30k, that kids from a lower income background are far less likely to be comfortable with taking on.

As for your claim about the gap between 'advantaged and disadvantaged families narrowing', under this government, I'm lost for a suitable response. The exponential rise in reliance on food banks, seems to rather dispel your assertion.

Sorry I did not mean overall in society. I meant in terms of going to uni.

The difference between the proportion of kids from disadvantaged backgrounds going to uni and those not from disadvantaged backgrounds has closed. That is a fact. The rest of your post assumes it has got worse when actually it has got better.

The debt is not like a normal debt though is it. You only pay it back once you earn a certain amount. Almost 3 quarters won’t even pay it back, only the most wealthy do.

Muddled on your thinking, I think.

Here is a link to a fact check. https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-corbyn-wrong-on-working-class-students

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The £500 is a cap, and I assume the £500 or whatever lower amount the dividend is will be reduced by tax once the dividend is declared on the employees tax return,

its not £500 dividend per worker, its £500 share capital per worker. So a company with say 1000 employees would have to issue £500k worth of shares and give it over to employees. again, this is about taking capital, not sharing profits.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's good to get a conference again where debates and votes actually count for something.

If only. The support for another vote is which Brexit deal we have. They are also trotting out the mantra of respecting democracy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here