Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
They'll be banning hot drinks next. Could throw your tea over someone and burn them.

Never seen that at the Amex but I am old enough to remember a Brighton fan pouring the hot contents of his flask over the Millwall supporters who were below him in the standing part of the West at the Goldstone. They were already pretty nasty and I don't think it helped their disposition one little bit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The thread title needs to be updated with the policy extension.

No mention of laptops or tablets, which people often have in their bags when coming from work or whatever.

Will staff now remove caps from bottles purchased in the stadium?

They will indeed. I understand the policy is then to pour the contents all over the laptop.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
What next; belts, cigarette lighters, keys, loose change?

This is so heavy handed and addressing a problem that doesn't exist. Barber at his very best.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Haven't read all through, of course. However after the horrendous queues at the WSL last night am surprised club aren't begging for fans to take their own refreshments.

Annoyingly, I left my seat 5 minutes from halftime to get drinks and was about 8 in the queue. The service was so slow that when I got the drinks it was 5 minutes to kick off again and the queue now stretched back to the turnstiles.
The bar staff are so unprepared and slow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Haven't read all through, of course. However after the horrendous queues at the WSL last night am surprised club aren't begging for fans to take their own refreshments.

Annoyingly, I left my seat 5 minutes from halftime to get drinks and was about 8 in the queue. The service was so slow that when I got the drinks it was 5 minutes to kick off again and the queue now stretched back to the turnstiles.
The bar staff are so unprepared and slow.

Its the same every year. You get a batch of part-time minimum wage student newbies at the start of every season who have never worked the tills before, have never heard of Bovril, and can barely comprehend the concept of "rounding up". I once bought some stuff that came to £10.20, handed over a £20 note and said "do you want the 20p ?", only to be met with a stare so puzzled/blank you'd have thought I'd asked if I could molest his sister.

Just the nature of the industry I suppose, with the high turnover of part time staff. They don't improve much over the season either. It never improves, it never will.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The same every year. You get a batch of part-time minimum wage student newbies at the start of every season who have never used the tills before, have never heard of Bovril, and can barely comprehend the concept of "rounding up". I once bought some stuff that came to £10.20, handed over a £20 note and said "do you want the 20p ?", only to be met with a stare so puzzled/blank you'd have thought I'd asked if I could molest his sister.

Just the nature of the industry I suppose. It never improves, it never will.

Someone's doing well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't recall when, but a bottle was thrown from the west upper into the lower a few years back. A few people here spoke about it. That's the only incident I can remember being referred to here.

Someone once luzzed a plastic bottle from the west end of the north stand onto the pitch.

One was lobbed in to the West by Coventry last season.

We were told the cctv at the Amex was so good, you could tell the time on someone's watch. It must be easy to find the three people involved and ban them for throwing a missile.

Instead the headmaster has decreed that 30K people must be inconvenienced because there have been isolated incidents (three in 7 years?)
It is worse than being at school.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As an aside, anyone ever know of any incident where someone has been injured at a sporting event by 500ml plastic bottle?

No! And an exhaustive search has not turned up one instance of a "flask related safety issue" at any football match, at any level, anywhere in the world. (Or any sporting event for that matter). And having had six years of flask free "safety issues" at the Amex, why is it only a problem NOW?

Barber has yet again written a huge amount of words whilst at the same time saying very little. If he really thinks flasks are a "safety and security" issue, why has he not given any examples of where a flask has been used in an act of terror or hooliganism. First flasks, then bottles, then any kind of food items.........

I think most of us know why this change of policy is being brought in. Just a shame that Barber seems unable to be honest about it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I've never bought a bottled drink - either alcoholic of soft - at an away game that hasn't had the lid removed, so it's clearly a recognised crowd safety issue. Don't know about the Amex as I tend to buy my drinks in the shape of pints.

That works..but your well prepared hooligan just needs a spare bottle top, some tissues or a bit of blu-tak......and hey presto you have your bottle for luzzing!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We were told the cctv at the Amex was so good, you could tell the time on someone's watch. It must be easy to find the three people involved and ban them for throwing a missile.

Instead the headmaster has decreed that 30K people must be inconvenienced because there have been isolated incidents (three in 7 years?)
It is worse than being at school.

I haven't been inconvenienced.

Me neither.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No! And an exhaustive search has not turned up one instance of a "flask related safety issue" at any football match, at any level, anywhere in the world. (Or any sporting event for that matter). And having had six years of flask free "safety issues" at the Amex, why is it only a problem NOW?

Barber has yet again written a huge amount of words whilst at the same time saying very little. If he really thinks flasks are a "safety and security" issue, why has he not given any examples of where a flask has been used in an act of terror or hooliganism. First flasks, then bottles, then any kind of food items.........

I think most of us know why this change of policy is being brought in. Just a shame that Barber seems unable to be honest about it.

No no no, you see he's COVERED that here:

"Our job is to anticipate risks to the safety and security of our stadium, and the people within it, and then mitigate or eliminate those risks wherever it is practical to do so – not wait for an incident to occur before we take action".

See ? It's not about protecting us from something thats never happened before in the history of the world. It's all about anticipation of something happening.. It reminds me of that joke.

"What are those pellets you're scattering all around the back garden for ?"
"They're anti-elephant pellets"
"But....we don't get any elephants around here"
"I know. Bloody good aren't they!!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here