Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Not sure how old your kids are but took my daughter to her first live band when she was just twelve. ( It was Kid Carpet who I knew would keep her entertained). It's the sort of evening you could bring the family.

They're not really Sarah record afficionados, but we did take them to see Vampire Weekend in 2013. Looking for a festival this summer with some of their kinds of bands (Phoenix, Pixies, Arctic Monkeys, Jake Bugg, Bombay Bicycle Club, etc). If I find one, I'll use the opportunity to get them to see some more experimental music. Which they will hate, inevitably...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Fair enough - if it was in your neck of the woods I'd struggle too. Tis a pity tho.

Must say I have been tempted to join in the CD malarkey and follow each with interest but it's not for me just at the mo. Besides, I recall how I agonised over C90 complilations all those years ago and am not sure I could put myself through it all again...sitting around listening and re-listening to music I loved to select the right artists then tracks to then be faced daunting track order decisions only for the (usually female) recipient to effectively say 'meh'! Actually it sounds quite good when put like that...

Put that to music and you've got a Smiths song there :thumbsup:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me and a good friend have just bought tickets for this. As raging teenage Marillion fans we both saw this the first time round....a whopping 30 years ago.

Can anyone out uncool me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 96

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
GNOD were outstanding at Sticky Mikes last night. Go see them.

Regency Harmonics, the openers, will appeal to a lot of people on here as well. Very Sonic Youthy.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Me and a good friend have just bought tickets for this. As raging teenage Marillion fans we both saw this the first time round....a whopping 30 years ago.

Can anyone out uncool me?

Easy: I have the first four albums and first seven singles by Marillion; I know the lyrics of Grendel; I once went to a Bryan Adams concert with my MUM and shouted so loudly for an encore that I made myself HOARSE. I then went to see Bryan again FOUR days later.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I went to see. All About Eve at The Royal Albert Hall. I consider that to be spectacularly uncool.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I went to see. All About Eve at The Royal Albert Hall. I consider that to be spectacularly uncool.

I listened to their first album again recently and could not believe how dull it was. I also gave The First Chapter by The Mission a go, as well as Dreamtime by The Cult. It was raining outside - pathetic fallacy in operation. What a depressing afternoon that was....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Easy: I have the first four albums and first seven singles by Marillion; I know the lyrics of Grendel; I once went to a Bryan Adams concert with my MUM and shouted so loudly for an encore that I made myself HOARSE. I then went to see Bryan again FOUR days later.

It recently played Misplaced Childhood and the missus was genuinely concerned I knew most of the lyrics. I'm now banned from playing it. Never been one for Bryan Adams but I was into a lot of hair metal mid-80s.....into it so much I had my long locks permed and would parade around in spayed-on jeans. I have to say whilst I most certainly looked ridiculous I had a fun time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It recently played Misplaced Childhood and the missus was genuinely concerned I knew most of the lyrics. I'm now banned from playing it. Never been one for Bryan Adams but I was into a lot of hair metal mid-80s.....into it so much I had my long locks permed and would parade around in spayed-on jeans. I have to say whilst I most certainly looked ridiculous I had a fun time.

We need an 80s metal nostalgia thread. I used to buy Kerrang between the ages of 11 and 13. Thank God the The Smiths, New Order and The Cure turned up.....

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I listened to their first album again recently and could not believe how dull it was. I also gave The First Chapter by The Mission a go, as well as Dreamtime by The Cult. It was raining outside - pathetic fallacy in operation. What a depressing afternoon that was....

3 LPs I converted to flower pots for a friend's allotment!

Jul 7, 2003
One for [MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] - Half Man Half Biscuit will be playing Kentish Town on 15th October. I already have tickets for something else that evening so need to decide which one to ditch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We need an 80s metal nostalgia thread. I used to buy Kerrang between the ages of 11 and 13. Thank God the The Smiths, New Order and The Cure turned up.....

Go for it! I have a few boxes of Kerrangs in my father's attic. I had a peek at some a couple of years back and it was quite interesting to see top metal bands touring for £5 a ticket and a whole page of demo tapes adverts from awfully named and looking provincial rock bands.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Four days until Super Furries in Brixton. Surely I can't be alone in being hugely excited about this?

Very jealous of this..and your trip to Lille.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here