Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Night shift. Advice please...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I do emergency call outs most nights and just eat when I'm hungry which is usually crap food from various outlets or sometimes nothing until morning.

No wonder you want justice . . . . .:lolol:

Jan 30, 2008
Hello all,

I've just started a new role doing night shifts. 12 hours, 4 on 4 off. Love the job, don't mind the shift pattern and get good sleep in the day, 6-8 hours but it's absolutely killing my appetite.
Anyone on nights that can offer advice as I'm already losing weight that I don't want to lose.

Any tips on eating or nights in general would be much appreciated

Cheers
TC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrkEDe6Ljqs the best I can do
regards
DR

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I work 1 week in 5 nights, mon-fri 10 hours, sat/sun 12.5 hours. Have done for 17 years.
I tend to eat a normal meal at teatime, a bit of toast around 03:30 and a sandwich when I get up at about 14:00.
I work at home so can have what I want and have been known to have a big meal in the middle of the night.

If I were you, though, I wouldnt do what I do as I'm an unfit, fat old bloater.

Hope that helps

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I do 9pm to 6am nights. I've never been very good at eating on night shifts, it sometimes makes me feel quite queasy, so I tend to eat a full meal just before I leave at 7:45pm. Cereal with milk was often a go-to if I did happen to be hungry in the small hours though.

Before I sorted my (terrible) diet out recently, I did find it was all too easy to pick up chocolate and crisps from 24hr petrol stations at 3am :lol: Haven't done that for about six weeks now, and I've more or less stopped missing it :)

No mention of doughnuts.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hello all,

I've just started a new role doing night shifts. 12 hours, 4 on 4 off. Love the job, don't mind the shift pattern and get good sleep in the day, 6-8 hours but it's absolutely killing my appetite.
Anyone on nights that can offer advice as I'm already losing weight that I don't want to lose.

Any tips on eating or nights in general would be much appreciated

Cheers
TC

A mate did rolling nights 4 on 4 off, damned near killed him physically over the years. Get out of there as soon as possible, you are messing up all your biorhythms which is not good.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A mate did rolling nights 4 on 4 off, damned near killed him physically over the years. Get out of there as soon as possible, you are messing up all your biorhythms which is not good.

In can see the concern but suits me at the moment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

How do you think firefighters cope? Two days on, two nights on, and four off.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How do you think firefighters cope? Two days on, two nights on, and four off.

I wouldn't recommend it. Sounds ridiculous. Bear in mind this, In winter do you find you want to sleep more and that getting out of bad at 7am in December is hard ? Then, in summer you wake up about 5am and feel full of beans ? that's your body's natural rhythm.. no point being awake when its dark but every need to be awake when its light go against those circadian rhythms at your peril .

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I wouldn't recommend it. Sounds ridiculous. Bear in mind this, In winter do you find you want to sleep more and that getting out of bad at 7am in December is hard ? Then, in summer you wake up about 5am and feel full of beans ? that's your body's natural rhythm.. no point being awake when its dark but every need to be awake when its light go against those circadian rhythms at your peril .

This.
I work a rolling shift pattern, consisting of 2 nights, 2 off, 3 days, 2 off, 2 nights, 3 off, 2 days, 2 off, 3 nights and so on......

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

I bloody love it. 4 days off every week, plus 26 days holiday a year. Never feels like I’m working.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I eat all night when I do night shifts - big sandwich when I get in at 2300hrs, fruit, loads of (sugar-free) muesli and assorted other crap through the small hours, one last bowl of muesli at 5am, finish work 7am, asleep around 0830, up around 1pm for lunch, then dinner at usual time. I'm lucky that I don't really put on weight, plus cycling 9 or so miles to work and the same back has to be factored in.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I eat all night when I do night shifts - big sandwich when I get in at 2300hrs, fruit, loads of (sugar-free) muesli and assorted other crap through the small hours, one last bowl of muesli at 5am, finish work 7am, asleep around 0830, up around 1pm for lunch, then dinner at usual time. I'm lucky that I don't really put on weight, plus cycling 9 or so miles to work and the same back has to be factored in.

That's called grazing :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here