Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A thread for Glenn

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
The reason Murray didn't have to jump very high was down to two things: The cross into the box was so damned good and Murray timed his run to perfection.

As for the penalty-it was perfect, straight down the middle makes sense because goalkeepers choose which way they are going to dive ahead of the ball being kicked. Doesn't work all the time but that holds true for loads of penalties. Murray scored so it was a perfect penalty.

Glenn is coming back from injury so was always going to be a bit off the pace. His match fitness is returning and I for one am happy to see him back-he is a proven goal scorer/hold up man.

Enjoy the win.

quite right.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't want to put a dampener on the performance but he hasn't proved his form on that one game.
His first goal he wasn't challenged and had to jump no higher than a midget at Billy smarts circus, his pen he may have bought, but my first instincts was it was a very clumsy tackle.The pen was a poor strike and poor Hart went early and almost saved with his feet.
In summary anyone on NSC could have scored a brace with a great delivery with no challenge and a spot kick against low confidence keeper.

I wait to see if he can give a Premier performance this year.

You don't know much about this football malarkey, do you :ffsparr:

It was a masterclass of old fashioned English centre-forward play. We are very lucky to have him - it’s the kind of stuff that will keep us up

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I don't want to put a dampener on the performance but he hasn't proved his form on that one game.
His first goal he wasn't challenged and had to jump no higher than a midget at Billy smarts circus, his pen he may have bought, but my first instincts was it was a very clumsy tackle.The pen was a poor strike and poor Hart went early and almost saved with his feet.
In summary anyone on NSC could have scored a brace with a great delivery with no challenge and a spot kick against low confidence keeper.

I wait to see if he can give a Premier performance this year.

Murray may or may not bang in 30 goals this season , but given his performances last season he didn’t deserve to be written off after the Everton game. And that is what more than a few on here did.

And for the record, your comments on his goals are harsh. Headers like that get missed (or at least don’t end up as goals) week in week out. He scored the pen and that’s all that matters.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Murray's strength is his abilities to hold up the ball and heading. I think he was very good at that last night

He’s a decent poacher too. It’s not often he misses a couple of one on ones like he did yesterday.
He’ll finish his next chance like that, I guarantee it.

He’s a decent poacher too. It’s not often he misses a couple of one on ones like he did yesterday.
He’ll finish his next chance like that, I guarantee it.

They weren’t sitters and he made the keeper work - will do for me

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Regardless of what it meant for us with the result, I'm genuinely happy for him to make his mark in the Premier League once again - it's been a frustrating start to the season for him.

(Wish he'd made it a hat-trick though!)

D

Deleted member 2719

Miserable comments on an amazing weekend for the Albion and Murray.

All goals are preventable. Murray's headed goal was great. Perfect positioning, timing and execution.

Great are you sure, it was okay but he was unmarked by an inch perfect ball with pace from Gross, it was as easy as a header gets at any level.

Now where's that thumbs down button when you need it.....

Just pointing out how i saw it.

Any of the defence should be talked about well ahead of Murray average performance, goals can blind peoples vision of actual performance IMO.

The reason Murray didn't have to jump very high was down to two things: The cross into the box was so damned good and Murray timed his run to perfection.

As for the penalty-it was perfect, straight down the middle makes sense because goalkeepers choose which way they are going to dive ahead of the ball being kicked. Doesn't work all the time but that holds true for loads of penalties. Murray scored so it was a perfect penalty.

Glenn is coming back from injury so was always going to be a bit off the pace. His match fitness is returning and I for one am happy to see him back-he is a proven goal scorer/hold up man.

Enjoy the win.

So like i said two easy goals, nothing to big Murray up about.

But i loved the win.:ascarf:

You don't know much about this football malarkey, do you :ffsparr:

I suppose i don't, played about 600 odd games and i can't spot that was an easy header due to the pin pointed cross and how hard does it get from a still ball from 12yds.

They were simple goals nothing more, the other end we were off the scale those boys were the top performers IMO.

Murray may or may not bang in 30 goals this season , but given his performances last season he didn’t deserve to be written off after the Everton game. And that is what more than a few on here did.

And for the record, your comments on his goals are harsh. Headers like that get missed (or at least don’t end up as goals) week in week out. He scored the pen and that’s all that matters.
Off course he could have missed the header but that would have been like Bruno elbowing for a pen.....not good enough and potentially costing us dear.

I will pleased if he get 15 goals this year but i can not see it.

Let's hope he proves me wrong.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Great are you sure, it was okay but he was unmarked by an inch perfect ball with pace from Gross, it was as easy as a header gets at any level.

Just pointing out how i saw it.

Any of the defence should be talked about well ahead of Murray average performance, goals can blind peoples vision of actual performance IMO.

So like i said two easy goals, nothing to big Murray up about.

But i loved the win.:ascarf:

I suppose i don't, played about 600 odd games and i can't spot that was an easy header due to the pin pointed cross and how hard does it get from a still ball from 12yds.

They were simple goals nothing more, the other end we were off the scale those boys were the top performers IMO.

Off course he could have missed the header but that would have been like Bruno elbowing for a pen.....not good enough and potentially costing us dear.

I will pleased if he get 15 goals this year but i can not see it.

Let's hope he proves me wrong.

15 goals from any promoted player would be nothing short of an exceptional season. If any of our forwards get 10 goals this season they’ve done very very well.

Missing that header is nothing like Bruno’s elbow. Bruno’s elbow was utter stupidity. Murray’s header took technique, excellent positioning and good timing.

Murray has started 3 games this season despite coming back from an ankle injury (at a relatively late stage in his career). He already has 2 goals in those games. The relative ease of them is irrelevant - you have to be in the right place at the right time to score, and the best players usually make the simple things look easy because they’re so well trained in the basics. Yes, he missed a good chance when one on one, but with his lack of real game time, that isn’t surprising.

Playing football unfortunately doesn’t necessarily mean you’re very good at understanding the concepts. You could’ve played your 600 odd games (if that’s even true) at kiddy level for all I know - the reality is your comments make you sound quite ignorant. For example, Murray had 4 shots on goal last night. Each one of them was on target - that suggests to most people that he’s at a level required to play in the Premier League and that he will score, if given a decent quality of chance.

One thing we can agree on - Gross’ ball was into a good area. Luckily for him, Murray was in the right place to meet it and guide it past the keeper, making it look like an excellent ball. But then again I guess that’s often what makes assists stats so misleading - they often depend on the quality of forward who is trying to take the chances the creator is creating. Luckily for Gross, at the moment our forwards are taking a good percentage of them.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
[MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] Did Glenn Murray piss you off at all? He won the penalty that he scored from and timed his run perfectly for his first goal. Nothing easy about either of them.

D

Deleted member 2719

[MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] Did Glenn Murray piss you off at all? He won the penalty that he scored from and timed his run perfectly for his first goal. Nothing easy about either of them.

What i am saying he wasn't as good as the OP was suggesting, it was an average game for him, where as the defence played out of this world.

Just because he scored two easy goals it doesn't make him a hero IMO.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
What i am saying he wasn't as good as the OP was suggesting, it was an average game for him, where as the defence played out of this world.

Utter bellendary from someone with an agenda against Murray. A thread praising a bloke for helping win us the game with 2 well taken goals is to be expected. He's 34 and not going to get us 20 goals a season but he deserves praise for last night, especially after some of the OTT criticism last week.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Utter bellendary from someone with an agenda against Murray. A thread praising a bloke for helping win us the game with 2 well taken goals is to be expected. He's 34 and not going to get us 20 goals a season but he deserves praise for last night, especially after some of the OTT criticism last week.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I am sure Glenn will be the first to say they were easy goals, knob face.

You missed the praise for the defence then.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
On Monday I said he's past it, not good enough for the Premier league. Shows how much I know about football. Happy to be proved wrong.

Nice one.

Murray is like a shark, defences hate him and he knows more than a few tricks, the way he drew the foul for the penalty was sublime.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

But his immense career for us, in both spells, does make him a hero.

You can't take that away from him and the fanbase, no matter how much you tap away on an embarrassing vendetta.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here