Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How the heck are we going to compete in the Prem?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
For non financial reasons. Chinese investment houses are trying to win favour with the government of Xi Jinping, who is keen for China to host a World Cup soon (2030 is the initial target). Anything that brings China into closer contact with high profile football (and the PL is as high profile as it gets) can curry favour when the government is handing out contracts domestically, and also if the Chinese investors are involved in high profile construction deals in emerging economies such as Abu Dhabi, where City's owners are located. Geopolitics is therefore driving the price for many Chinese.

The Americans see it purely in financial terms though. The price they paid for Palace was much lower, for a much greater stake, as one would expect for a small club with a history of financial mismanagement and rotating door policy at manager level.

Thanks for the informative reply! So the Americans feel they'll get a good return from that lot up the road?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
When you see the amount of money being thrown around by even the more recently promoted teams. I know team spirit takes you a long way, but surely we won't be competing on wages and fees. How do we get to 17th place by the end of the season?

Lot of bigger clubs in Championship outspent us. Didn't help them though

Jan 10, 2014
Finding a striker who can score you the goals and being hard to beat.

I think you already have one of those in place, just need the other one.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks for the informative reply! So the Americans feel they'll get a good return from that lot up the road?

There are two types of potential return, an income based one (dividends, related party transactions, management fees etc.) which I think will be hard to come by at Palace, although the 'new' TV (2016-19) could turn their losses (£5.6m last year) into profits.

The other is the Yanks could be banking on Palace establishing themselves in the PL (and, putting aside local hostilities, they've done pretty well in the last 4 seasons in this respect) and selling the club to new owners at a profit as a club that regularly makes a net income.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Doomed I tell yer, DOOMED!

First of all congrats on staying up.

In your opinion is it a case of accepting that any points taken off the top 6* are bonus gains, and realistically accepting that those matches are little more than a nice day out, but survival is due to how you deal with the other clubs in the bottom half of the table?

*Liverpool excluded of course.

Jan 10, 2014
First of all congrats on staying up.

In your opinion is it a case of accepting that any points taken off the top 6* are bonus gains, and realistically accepting that those matches are little more than a nice day out, but survival is due to how you deal with the other clubs in the bottom half of the table?

I would say no. You have 38 matches to get as many points as you can to stay up. A win against Man Utd gains you as many points as a win against Huddersfield.

Obviously there are six-ish teams that you don't want to lose against, as they may be in your (and ours) little PL league.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Whilst we are there will enjoy the experience. However realy did enjoy the championship and not end of world if we end up there with parachute payments. My only concern is I think we will be to kind to players that have got us up as so many will not be up to premier league. Why not sell Hemed etc whilst they have a value. Howe at Bournmouth soon made decision that Murray wasnt good enough and hes better then Hemed. We didnt exactly dominate many games so it wont happen next year. Whether we like it or not it will be about keeping as many clean sheets as possible and catching teams on break. Will BrunoBong Duffy etc be able to cope with the speed of forwards. All very well saying Duffy is great in the air but apart from set plays so many of the teams dont cross ball in the air. Dont think we can be compared to Bournmouth as they play a different game with quick forwards. Have to follow Burnley model

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Whilst we are there will enjoy the experience. However realy did enjoy the championship and not end of world if we end up there with parachute payments. My only concern is I think we will be to kind to players that have got us up as so many will not be up to premier league. Why not sell Hemed etc whilst they have a value. Howe at Bournmouth soon made decision that Murray wasnt good enough and hes better then Hemed. We didnt exactly dominate many games so it wont happen next year. Whether we like it or not it will be about keeping as many clean sheets as possible and catching teams on break. Will BrunoBong Duffy etc be able to cope with the speed of forwards. All very well saying Duffy is great in the air but apart from set plays so many of the teams dont cross ball in the air. Dont think we can be compared to Bournmouth as they play a different game with quick forwards. Have to follow Burnley model

It's a good job we have Hughton.

let's be honest we will get smashed by most of the top 8 in the premier league I can see several 5 and 6 nils even at home against the big boys it's the other 10 teams we will take points off whether it's enough to keep us out the bottom 3 who knows but hey we'll see some world class players gracing the Amex and we'll be better off for the experience

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I'm sure looking forward to finding out!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
let's be honest we will get smashed by most of the top 8 in the premier league I can see several 5 and 6 nils even at home against the big boys it's the other 10 teams we will take points off whether it's enough to keep us out the bottom 3 who knows but hey we'll see some world class players gracing the Amex and we'll be better off for the experience

I don't think so - maybe the odd one, but a maybe a few 3-0 type scores more likely - we're pretty solid at the back (potential new keeper notwithstanding). Going to try to enjoy the ride whatever happens, and have a good deal of faith in TB and CH and the team to make the right decisions.

Interesting short piece here on funding - the difference not going down makes important. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hud...-promotion-to-premier-league/view/news/276019

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

There is also the contrarian approach.

If you are going to lose regularly to the other relegation candidates, you could turn over Chelsea at the Bridge, mug Liverpool at Anfield, tonk Arsenal 3-0, and you might just about escape by the skin of your teeth.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There is also the contrarian approach.

If you are going to lose regularly to the other relegation candidates, you could turn over Chelsea at the Bridge, mug Liverpool at Anfield, tonk Arsenal 3-0, and you might just about escape by the skin of your teeth.

Yup. What you did was impressive there. I don't think it's a formula you would necessarily rely on every year though.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

I'd happily be corrected with stats, but I'm pretty sure LOADS of Premier League goals are scored through headers in the box (from open play as well as set pieces).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here