Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] 01273 numbers to be dialled in full locally from October

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Be careful with that, as many years ago, due to not using the landline because of having the mobile, BT actually charged me for Caller Display or something similar, which was normally free, as I had not made two chargeable calls in the previous three months WTF!
Easily avoided by not using BT for anything and sensible as they are lying thieves.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Be careful with that, as many years ago, due to not using the landline because of having the mobile, BT actually charged me for Caller Display or something similar, which was normally free, as I had not made two chargeable calls in the previous three months WTF!

Really, it's been like this for years...not notice my bill change though. Must check really. Good shout!!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
They really need to advertise this, it's going to confuse an awful lot of old people.

You're right.....it's feckin started already! Having now to change all my local 'stored numbers' is for an ancient technophobic like me an administrative nightmare....oh well as we're getting promoted this season I can bear the pain :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I remember when I had to dial a 5 digit number to ring the old man at work and it wasn't all that long ago.

I remember connecting phone calls to Pitcairn when they didn't have any number , Wellington (NZ) put us through to Adamstown on a radio circuit.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I remember when I had to dial a 5 digit number to ring the old man at work and it wasn't all that long ago.

Not so easy with a 11 digit mobile as my grans number in Saltdean I still can recall, with their little ditty, despite not having dialled it for 30 years
Three dozen cottage loaves = 31288

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
http://www.area-codes.org.uk/01273-phone-number-changes.php

Not sure if anyone was aware of this but I certainly wasn't until stumbling on it on FB. OFCOM apparently trialing a new way of extending landline numbers.

Thanks for the heads up, it would be good to get some publicity on this change, as not aware prior to OP. Lets hope it goes more smoothly than the change to the Haywards Heath code about 25 years ago, which resulted in everyone dialing a Haywards Heath number to get the emergency services operator.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
I laugh at you, sitting here with my 'no-need-to-dial-01903-to-call-surrounding-Lancing/Worthing-area' number. :D

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
Makes sense. But would hit BT's and SKY's profits!. Obviously the line is still needed to provide broadband but yes the phone number could be re-allocated and you could be billed for Broadband via your IP address.

There are two types of ip address, static and dynamic. If your broadband link is allocated a static address by your isp, it always has the same ip address. If on the other hand your isp only uses dynamic addresses the ip address allocated to you changes each time you connect to the internet so unless dynamic addresses are outlawed I don't think this would work.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
While I use my mobile more i definitely use the landline for some local numbers. Taxi ordering - because then I just have to press a number to get the cab to come to the house asap. Takeaways which are loaded in to the speed dial (which I will probably have to change) and friends in our old house when I had an evening and weekend BT package and didn't want to max out my mobile minutes.

Am I ANCIENT?

If you are ancient there is no hope for me as I do not use a mobile !

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Ofcom has already reserved 023 (plus 8 digits) as the replacement area code but now forecasts that 01273 will have enough number blocks to last another 10 years or so by using 0 and 1 after the dialling code. All figure numbers are no different to us quoting mobile numbers so hopefully even the elderly will not be totally confused.

Are you sure? Southampton is 023(80) already.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not so easy with a 11 digit mobile as my grans number in Saltdean I still can recall, with their little ditty, despite not having dialled it for 30 years
Three dozen cottage loaves = 31288

My grandfather used to answer "Worthing two double four, six seven four, speaking?".

I miss hearing that :sniff:

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
My grandfather used to answer "Worthing two double four, six seven four, speaking?".

I miss hearing that :sniff:

My grandparents used to answer Hither Green 5 8 double 8! And another old friend even after the number changes used to answer with the exchange Oxshott then the number 1212.

Is there any difference in cost if you add in the STD code when dialing a local number?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here