Captain Lawrence Pale Ale
Magic Hat #9
Polygamy Porter
21[SUP]st[/SUP] Amendment Bitter American

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A bottle of Duvel or Bitburger is quite pleasant in this weather.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
There are now a record number of small brewers producing wonderful ales. I find it hard to believe that so many like Doombore, london pride, Spitfire etc. These beers are truly dull. I even put Harveys in that category now and just walk out of pubs selling just this and Doombore.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Harvey's Best
Adnam's Broadside
Theakston's Old Peculiar
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Old Tom when we visited Crewe

RIP
Old Speckled and Directors now brewed by upstarts!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are now a record number of small brewers producing wonderful ales. I find it hard to believe that so many like Doombore, london pride, Spitfire etc. These beers are truly dull. I even put Harveys in that category now and just walk out of pubs selling just this and Doombore.

Good points. I do wonder how many new drinkers Harvey's get each year. And what will happen when their current hard core die off.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's taken a while but I can now whittle down to 5, in no particular order,

HSB
Dark Star APA
Cotleigh Old Buzzard
Burning Sky Saison à la Provision
Rochefort 8

There, done it, had to leave about 10 out though.

Mr Icicle Boots

Apr 12, 2013
North East Aegean.
Home Away

Septem Citra IPA Harveys Best
Alpha Draught Ramsbury Gold
Mythos Red Thwaites Pure Shores
Fix Dark Langhams Hip Hop
Craft Black Lager Gunners Daughter

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm going to make a journey up there at some point, they are one of my favourite breweries at the minute.

Have you sampled the Burning Sky Arise yet Herr T? For me it is the perfect hot summers day session keg-IPA. Only 4.2%, mountains of flavour. I love the stuff.

When you go to Beavertown's Brew and Que pop into http://www.wellandbucket.com which is a couple of train stops away. Great beer, great pub interior and nice crowd.

Not tried Arise but have had Aurora (mispelling?), Plateau a few times and 2 bottles of Provision. The latter is a glorious bottled Chardonnay barrel aged saison. As you say, lots of flavour and a real dry taste which I love. He's a real talent.

How can you choose 5 in the current beer climate?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Searched but no matches ... I've got laods but a new one on me is

Affligem

Had it in Calais about a year ago ... Belgian, dark blonde .... bugger me if I didn't see it in Sainsbury's for the first time last weekend.

Very tasty indeed

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Just down the road from where I live a community pub has recently opened. Not only do they sell the wonderful Jail Ale ( a small brewery called Dartmoor) amongst others and bottle ale including Punk IPA but it is also a micro brewery and knock out their own brew called Mutley Ale and its not a bad drop. Sadly no Doom Bar and great food as well it is very well supported by the locals so this pub has the best of both worlds.
Judging by the thread Doom Bar is very popular and is one if my favourites dont know why some are knocking it but its just personal taste it certainly does not taste of liquorice though.

And they also sell the original Double Diamond!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here