Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Big Six' to receive larger share of international TV money

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
It stinks, but actually reading the article rather than just the headline not quite as bad as is being suggested:

“From 2019-20, the first season of new TV deals being concluded now, the current level of revenue from international TV rights sales, £3.3bn, will still be shared equally between all 20 clubs. Any increase on that level, which Scudamore is understood to be confident of securing, will then be distributed according to where a club has finished in the league.”

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I sincerely hope that we will be getting a slightly smaller share of the cake in 2019-20 and beyond.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The interesting bit will be when another billionaire takes a non top 6 club into the top 6, in the same way that Chelsea and ManC came from no where. That will upset the usurped club.

Don't forget that we have FFP rules to prevent such an eventuality.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its not as bad as it could have been, lots of caps in there including on disproportionate earnings

Its really the main premier league deal that is more annoying - we finished two places above Southampton last season and they got more money than us

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A prime example of the league ceding power to the clubs. This would not happen in the NFL, the commissioner would tell the teams to go whistle. The sport and the league clearly less important than the top six, a great shame.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its not as bad as it could have been, lots of caps in there including on disproportionate earnings

Its really the main premier league deal that is more annoying - we finished two places above Southampton last season and they got more money than us

How so? What were the machinations behind that?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
The interesting bit will be when another billionaire takes a non top 6 club into the top 6, in the same way that Chelsea and ManC came from no where. That will upset the usurped club.

Its not a 'big 6; deal though is it. 5th gets more than 6th, 6th gets more than 7th, 7th gets more than 8th, and so on. You could also argue that the big 6 are there at the moment on the basis of external money, not the TV deals.

But it is more likely to keep things more entrenched the way they are, Leeds, Villa and Newcastle have all been regular members of the top 6 during the premier league era, but fell away before the massive money came in - if they'd been up there at that time they may well have stayed there.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
How so? What were the machinations behind that?

They were on TV more. You get 2m more per position in the table, so we got 4m more for that, but 1.1m per live tv game shown per season, and they were on telly a lot more than us.

Actually with our Liverpool game shown we just sneaked ahead of them in the final reckoning, by £500,000 - £107.7m - £107.2m, but Saints did get more revenue than Watford and Huddersfield, who they finished below in the table. Newcastle, who finished 10th, got £4m more than Burnley who finished 7th

https://talksport.com/football/how-...tv-and-their-final-position-180518283150?p=11

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They were on TV more. You get 2m more per position in the table, so we got 4m more for that, but 1.1m per live tv game shown per season, and they were on telly a lot more than us.

Actually with our Liverpool game shown we just sneaked ahead of them in the final reckoning, by £500,000 - £107.7m - £107.2m, but Saints did get more revenue than Watford and Huddersfield, who they finished below in the table. Newcastle, who finished 10th, got £4m more than Burnley who finished 7th

https://talksport.com/football/how-...tv-and-their-final-position-180518283150?p=11

Ah, ok. I presumed it was TV 'facilities' fees. You only get the extra £1m per game, for each match selected ABOVE the base (ten) games, covered in the general agreement.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ah, ok. I presumed it was TV 'facilities' fees. You only get the extra £1m per game, for each match selected ABOVE the base (ten) games, covered in the general agreement.

So, cup games, and being in a relegation battle are good for finances?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

... and only Burnley had less than 10 games selected

This thread isn't your greatest hour [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] - maybe check the final figures before posting next time! :thumbsup:

2017-18-PL-Payments-to-Clubs-Article-FINAL.jpg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
This thread isn't your greatest hour [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] - maybe check the final figures before posting next time! :thumbsup:

Check my second post :p

and I'm pretty sure Burnley were only on 9 times but got the minimum for 10 games as in the contract. Maybe they were shown final weekend as well :shrug:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
An interesting thought, and something that I’ve had a feeling would happen sooner rather than later. Should it come to fruition I wonder what would be the set up?

Would it be a closed shop involving just the so called money clubs of Europe? I give you - our “top six”, with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, PSG, Juventus and maybe teams like Atlético Madrid, AC Milan, Marseille.

Would there be a promotion/relegation strategy?

Would the competition be purely on merit involving just the winners of each European country’s domestic league?

Or, as I suspect it probably will be, a gigantic poker school type scenario where if you’ve got the dosh you’re in and if not, no matter how good a team you are, you’re not and it’s tough titty.

One thing is for sure - greed knows no bounds.

Can't see it being merit based entry... will be purely on money and international appeal, so invite only. Possibility of future expansion but won't be relegation.

Plus, can see most games being played in Asia and Anericas so not a club I'd want to be in.

What's left will have less money (can't see £40m+ in overseas TV as most Asian markets will want superleague) but we would still have a thriving PL.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here