Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did so many players drop standard after Gus

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
300 games for Brighton mostly in lower leagues. Moved to Bristol but quickly dropped. Farmed out to lower league Bury. Farmed out to lower league Swindon.
A handful of games for the mighty Egypt don't really change the picture of a player only really comfortable in lower divisions with shorter periods between each move as his career progresses.
Adam is a lovely guy and there is so much to admire about his attitude but yup, I think journeyman is a reasonable summation. :shrug:

He was dropped at Bristol because he fell out with Cotterill. He hasn't been able to get his career back on track after that. 2 clubs for a 32 year old isn't a journeyman.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
300 games for Brighton mostly in lower leagues. Moved to Bristol but quickly dropped. Farmed out to lower league Bury. Farmed out to lower league Swindon.
A handful of games for the mighty Egypt don't really change the picture of a player only really comfortable in lower divisions with shorter periods between each move as his career progresses.
Adam is a lovely guy and there is so much to admire about his attitude but yup, I think journeyman is a reasonable summation. :shrug:

You know what a journeyman typically means in footballing terms right?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You know what a journeyman typically means in footballing terms right?

He played his entire career at ONE club until the age of around 30! That is the complete opposite of a journeyman.

This thread is about players' career paths AFTER leaving Albion. Since he left us Adam has trolled around between three clubs and there'll be another one next season and it won't be playing at a higher level. Journeyman by your definitions

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think the lower league player put up with his Gus' EGO because they respected him as being a great player and accepted him as having a higher standing in the game than themselves. Once he moved up the leagues he was then dealing with players who has as high a standing in the game as he had as a player.

That then becomes a different ball game because they don't tend to put up with EGOS because their own EGOS are just as big. If not bigger

Tis true.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
This thread is about players' career paths AFTER leaving Albion. Since he left us Adam has trolled around between three clubs and there'll be another one next season and it won't be playing at a higher level. Journeyman by your definitions

Well we differ in our definition of Journeyman then. Going on loan to find first team football doesn't constitute being a journeyman. Continually bouncing from club to club continually on one year deals is a journeyman in my eyes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here