Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Markus Suttner signs for £3.8m on 3 yr contract

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The point is this. The commentary coming from Germany, including Kevin Hatchard, is that he is a decent signing for a team with our budget.

I don't think there is a lot of difference in real value between £3m and £8m these days. It's all down to the way in which potential and adaptability is identified. Knockaert is evidence. Stephens, originally at 750k, and Pritchard for £8m are also comparable cases.

Another great post. I agree re the above in terms of comparable value, and there's no doubting that a bargain can be as readily available as an expensive flop.

However, at 30 with his best footballing days almost behind him, I'm still struggling to see Suttner as worth 4 million in terms of his potential and ability to keep us in this division.

I think my point is utterly laboured now.

I wish him luck.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The balance that Chris is going to have to strike this year is between bringing in upgrades in areas he thinks necessary and maintaining the team ethic that got us here. We were not a team of showy exciting acquisitions. We were a team of brothers willing to give extra for their colleagues and the ultimate goal. It may seem dull, but we cannot jeopardise that. No secret has been made of the fact that our scouting values character as well as talent. Even Knockaert, the supposed show-pony of the squad works his cojones off in every game. I've never seen Gross or Suttner play, but if they can prove themselves as determined and professional as Uwe showed himself to be last year when Duffy was injured, they will not let us down, whatever their age or past.

You may not be excited. You may not have been excited when Chris Hughton was appointed; I wasn't, but he has proved himself to be a great manager for this club. Follow Micky Adams' advice and keep the faith. Everyone that is brought in will have been carefully chosen to make steady improvement to the squad as a whole.

Great post.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wouldn't assume that we'd paid £3.8m just because some websites say so. Even if that figure is accurate, it might depend on extras such as number of appearances, whether we stay up et cetera.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Good God man give it a bloody rest. I ate my hat.

We all make mistakes. The recruitment team get it wrong. I get it wrong... You... nah forget it.

If you learnt your lesson, I might give it a rest. But here you are a year later and writing off a new player for no reason other than their nationality and their team got relegated last season. Suttner may not be a great signing but our scouting team have far more idea than you so why not wait to see how he does rather than assume he is rubbish. I would have hoped you would have learnt from your ridiculous prediction last season. Sadly it seems you have not

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I wouldn't assume that we'd paid £3.8m just because some websites say so. Even if that figure is accurate, it might depend on extras such as number of appearances, whether we stay up et cetera.

Andy Naylor has it at nearer 3 million than the reported figure

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
From what I hear from people who've actually watched him, they say he's a good signing. I'll trust them over most of you lot unless anybody actually watches German football every week including left backs for sides at the bottom of the table?

Relegated sides can actually have good players and unless they're strikers they are not going to be worth tens of millions. Austria might not be powerhouses but David Alaba is possibly the best full back in the world and is Austrian. Amazed at the negativity on here unless people have actually watched the bloke play 20+ times!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd love us to bring in all the most exciting, promising young talent in the world. Maybe we can one day. In the meantime, adding relatively cheap, experienced players who should be able to cope mentally with a potential relegation battle seems to be a sensible option. In seasons 2, 3 and beyond the club will be able to branch out.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Pretty sure the £3.8m is the ultimate fee with maximum add-ons and only likely to be achieved if, for example, we stay up for the period of his contract and is almost an ever present. He would be good value at that.
It allows their owner to save face and claim that he prevailed and achieved a record fee while not making such a dent in our budget.
My guess is nearer £3m ad a base fee as suggested by Naylor is likely more accurate. A hike on our original offer but not all that was demanded. A very "Tony" deal.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If you learnt your lesson, I might give it a rest. But here you are a year later and writing off a new player for no reason other than their nationality and their team got relegated last season. Suttner may not be a great signing but our scouting team have far more idea than you so why not wait to see how he does rather than assume he is rubbish. I would have hoped you would have learnt from your ridiculous prediction last season. Sadly it seems you have not

In hindsight my prediction last season may appear to indeed astound... at the time it was made, i'm unsure. I make no apologies for it and remain delighted at our eventual success.

I have not said Suttner will be "rubbish" more average at best. He'd be a high calibre championship signing, alas we're now in a slightly different division. I simply wish the recruitment policy was of a braver mindset rather than the current seemingly flat timbre, if you will.

I certainly do not dislike foreign imports and have said if he was 20-22 with 20 caps for Austria I'd see slightly more reason and promise in his signing.

As it stands it's okay and he might be okay on his day. I'm sadly unconvinced that will be regular enough for us to survive, which is my major concern.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
In hindsight my prediction last season may appear to indeed astound... at the time it was made, i'm unsure. I make no apologies for it and remain delighted at our eventual success.

I have not said Suttner will be "rubbish" more average at best. He'd be a high calibre championship signing, alas we're now in a slightly different division. I simply wish the recruitment policy was of a braver mindset rather than the current seemingly flat timbre, if you will.

I certainly do not dislike foreign imports and have said if he was 20-22 with 20 caps for Austria I'd see slightly more reason and promise in his signing.

As it stands it's okay and he might be okay on his day. I'm sadly unconvinced that will be regular enough for us to survive, which is my major concern.

I appreciate what your saying and on the face of it a 30 year old from a recently relegated side may not look to some as an inspired signing.

However our recruitment has been solid (except for any Dutch signings ) for a while and I think Suttner has been selected because of how he will fit into our system. He has experience at the top level which is something the squad lacks and has been described as solid from everyone who has seen him play.

I believe we are building a team that is going to have a different mindset to the one we had last season, we need to be resilient and mentally tough and perhaps that means having a few 'solid' players rather than some of the more exciting players we've been used to over the past few seasons. Suttner may have been part of a relegated team last season but he helped them stay up the season before so he is used to that type of battle. We are going to lose more games than we win this season and that's going to be a massive change for some of the players.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

your overly flowery language doesn't hide the contradictory nature of what you say
you are sure you are intelligent but you are extremely easy to read
you take an illogical negative stance just to attract that much craved pat on the head
sad. get a hobby

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
Amazing. Hughton has got us from a bit of a pickle to where we are now, yet a few FIFA game managers start to question his judgement.

I'd like to be even a zero off of his promotion bonus, let him get on with it ffs.
I play FIFA and I say he's a great signing 😁

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
your overly flowery language doesn't hide the contradictory nature of what you say
you are sure you are intelligent but you are extremely easy to read
you take an illogical negative stance just to attract that much craved pat on the head
sad. get a hobby

Did you find your thesaurus last night?

I'm not sure you quite understood where you were going with that, but hey, you ran with it.

Good on yer.

2108 posts in 14 years suggests I have one or two hobbies... heh heh.

Although winding you up is gradually creeping into my top 10.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Did you find your thesaurus last night?

I'm not sure you quite understood where you were going with that, but hey, you ran with it.

Good on yer.

2108 posts in 14 years suggests I have one or two hobbies... heh heh.

Although winding you up is gradually creeping into my top 10.

look up "self awareness" kosh
you really are a sad sack

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
look up "self awareness" kosh
you really are a sad sack

Heh heh... I'm starting to get to you then :)

I'm not so sure you're capable of being reasonable on this topic - you've resorted to 'comedy' smiley's and now name calling. You've tried to be clever and, dare I say - 'witty' and failed miserably.

As for me, you like many other's, have as much impact on my day as a feather in the winds of Neptune's tempestuous atmosphere.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here