Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Dunk's folks live in Hollingbury/Patcham area. His car is often parked round there.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Without going over the whole thread, as I understand it the O.P. has now either retracted what he said or at least has doubts about it.

What I have heard, read, supect happened and what I know categorically are two different things.
I've be advised to be a little smarter with my phrasing :wrong:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It sounds like not only is he not getting his desired move but someone's nicked his car too!

The only thing about these "Dunk's-car-spotted-near-wherever' postings is that there is often a whole row of Land Rover's finest parked near his house and I'd guess various people drive most of them.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Let me introduce you to Uwe Hunnemeier (we could probably do with another CB if Dunk is sold) but, unlike last year, we seem prepared for eventualities like our best players being sold.

We already needed a CB, so BFG was a signing we needed. If Dunk goes there is no way we will last the season with only GG and BFG as our experienced CB's.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, maybe CH thought Dunk's performance might drop. That's not the same as Dunk saying 'oh, my head's not in the right place guv'

Well, it equates to one and the same thing doesn't it. Dunk has either said, or given indications, that he's not up for playing at the moment, and so Hughton felt he had to drop him. If that was off the back of a refusal to play last Tuesday then maybe it was partially reconciled during the week, but still meant the bench on Saturday.

We don't know for sure that he's not traveled with the team, but even if he hasn't, maybe he's driving around Sussex because the club have told him he's being sold. It doesn't mean he's refusing to play, or that he's being a Bridcutt..

If BHA were desperate for the money and didn't want to jeapardise a deal then maybe there'd be something in that. But we don't want or need to sell him, so theres no reason whatsoever why Lewis Dunk should not be lining up next to Greer tonight except if he, or Hughton, or both, have decided he's mentally not up to it.

He's a professional, he's being paid by the club, and he should be available for selection to do his bloody job until he gets his move.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, it equates to one and the same thing doesn't it. Dunk has either said, or given indications, that he's not up for playing at the moment, and so Hughton felt he had to drop him.
No, no it doesn't. There are several possibilities as to why he didn't play:
1) The club want to sell him, because they think spending the money elsewhere would make our squad better. So they do not want him injured.
2) The club wanted to see how good we'd be without Dunk, to see if selling him was really an option.
3) The club don't want to sell him, but Dunk has been offered 3 times the wages he's on, and he's interested. He's also asked the club for a pay-rise to stay, and the club haven't decided. Meanwhile he's happy to give his best, but Chris doesn't think his best isn't as good as usual, as he's got a lot on his mind.

These are all possibilities, we don't know that he's being a tw@ and refusing to play.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Setting a bad precedent was always going to end in tears. I'm not suggesting that Dunk is behaving badly, but it is inevitable that someone will (or has) as a result of previous weakness. Sometimes, you just have to dig your heels in...pour encourager les autres.

The Germans wouldn't say that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No, no it doesn't. There are several possibilities as to why he didn't play:
1) The club want to sell him, because they think spending the money elsewhere would make our squad better. So they do not want him injured.
2) The club wanted to see how good we'd be without Dunk, to see if selling him was really an option.
3) The club don't want to sell him, but Dunk has been offered 3 times the wages he's on, and he's interested. He's also asked the club for a pay-rise to stay, and the club haven't decided. Meanwhile he's happy to give his best, but Chris doesn't think his best isn't as good as usual, as he's got a lot on his mind.

These are all possibilities, we don't know that he's being a tw@ and refusing to play.

Well we can run around disappearing up our own arses formulating a neverending saga of behind-the-scenes possibilities, which is pretty much what we've all been doing on this thread since last week.

But I was told on Wednesday morning from someone who knows one of the players (and would have no reason to lie - he rarely comes out with any inside info), that Dunk had refused to play at Southend, and been fined 2 weeks wages. I then saw the same thing on here posted by someone else. So speaking personally, I'm inclined to believe it, as I trust where I heard it from. I wasn't fussed about whether anyone else believed me, which why I didn't post it when I heard it on Wednesday morning.

Nothing that has happened since then has indicated to me that what I heard was BS either.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Dunk wouldn't be able to have formal talks with a club until we agree to a fee in principle. It would only be then that he would have permission to discuss personal terms. I could be wrong but I doubt he would really know what he is being offered yet. Then after talks he would weigh up the scenarios and may find it would be better to stay with us a bit longer and wait for better deal with a Prem club in the next Jan or summer window.

He has a personal duty to find out his worth so he has to go through the process whatever he decides.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well we can run around disappearing up our own arses formulating a neverending saga of behind-the-scenes possibilities, which is pretty much what we've all been doing on this thread since last week.

But I was told on Wednesday morning from someone who knows one of the players (and would have no reason to lie - he rarely comes out with any inside info), that Dunk had refused to play at Southend, and been fined 2 weeks wages. I then saw the same thing on here posted by someone else. So speaking personally, I'm inclined to believe it, as I trust where I heard it from. I wasn't fussed about whether anyone else believed me, which why I didn't post it when I heard it on Wednesday morning.

Nothing that has happened since then has indicated to me that what I heard was BS either.

If he had refused to play at Southend and fined 2 weeks wages, why would he be on the bench for free? If you are going to be fined for refusing to play you wouldn't make yourself available. In effect he would have been fined because NSC said that he was refusing to play?

It just doesn't add up :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dunk wouldn't be able to have formal talks with a club until we agree to a fee in principle. It would only be then that he would have permission to discuss personal terms. I could be wrong but I doubt he would really know what he is being offered yet. Then after talks he would weigh up the scenarios and may find it would be better to stay with us a bit longer and wait for better deal with a Prem club in the next Jan or summer window.

He has a personal duty to find out his worth so he has to go through the process whatever he decides.

Very naive. Dunk, via a third party, and via his agent, will know to the nearest five pence, EXACTLY what terms Fulham would be prepared to pay him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well we can run around disappearing up our own arses
???

I was told on Wednesday morning from someone who knows one of the players (and would have no reason to lie - he rarely comes out with any inside info), that Dunk had refused to play at Southend, and been fined 2 weeks wages.
Fine. Shame if true. But Dunk not playing on Saturday is hardly evidence of that.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Very naive. Dunk, via a third party, and via his agent, will know to the nearest five pence, EXACTLY what terms Fulham would be prepared to pay him.

Spot on.

He would not be alledgedly rufusing to play if he didnt know what Fulham were offering....he knows its considerably more than we would offer even with a nice pay rise.

He also thinks 5 million is a lot of money for the club, so probably feels its a great deal for both parties.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Spot on.

He would not be alledgedly rufusing to play if he didnt know what Fulham were offering....he knows its considerably more than we would offer even with a nice pay rise.

He also thinks 5 million is a lot of money for the club, so probably feels its a great deal for both parties.

You can either jump inside his mind, or his thoughts have been shared to you. Do tell.
ps great carry and pass by Jake on Saturday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here