Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona: Van hits crowds on Ramblas tourist area

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's a difficult problem to solve but a start would be to increase the police budget, get more police trained and on the streets and give our intelligence agencies more resources. That is something the government could do today.

Jan 30, 2008
:lolol: Banned from the Brexit thread again........you really are a naughty boy.
Is it really beyond some of the mods to say they have removed X from a thread and why or say they have moved a thread to the other stuff and why,some do say they have done this, but it doesnt appear all are capable.
Seems a bit rude to chuck someone off a thread and not even have the politeness to tell them why.
welcome to the club
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
i'm not - i've made quite clear i'll not moderate a thread i'm involved in. The site owner has made a reasonable request - it would be polite to heed it. Your opening post in this thread was far from 'an adult debate' as it is possible to get. Such language will inevitably see threads moved or deleted, as they descend into nastiness and name calling.
sticks and stones and all that :whistle:
regards
DR

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good at least to know that their 'bomb belts' are invariably now made of squeezy bottles and sticky back plastic. Makes it all the easier to counter-attack them with bricks and bottles or whatever else it takes to cave their worthless heads in before the police arrive on the scene.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
We took in millions of refugees after the war. They weren't all white christians. As my previous post said, the attacks here have been done by British nationals, but radicalised here. The Westminster attacker was from Kent and a converted Muslim.
The internet is used by ISIS, to convert and radicalise people here. Very few jihadis have come here with refugees.

I think you have this wrong, post second world war I would wager the biggest refugee influx to the UK was the Asians persecuted by idi ami. That episode must have been less than 100k. Other non white migrants who arrived as part of the windrush generation etc were not refugees.......please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

As for radicalisation I'm of the view that it is not the internet that radicalises, it is contemporary western liberalism. When muslims arrived in the U.K. in the 50s, 60s and 70s this country was itself conservative (small c), you only have to go back to the furore around the release of the Life of Brian in 1979 where it was banned by some local authorities to understand that.

Culturally then the UK was different but I would contend it was not perceived to morally decadent by muslims.

The generations of muslims born since the 80s are living in a different society to their parents and grandparents, and as they have grown up within conservative Islamic homes, UK society has moved on to where we are now, with (for example) primary school children in Bristol being read stories by Drag Queens to help them understand trans gender issues.

It is these kinds of liberal values that radicalises, and why the UK for many is diametrically opposed to their conservative religious ideology (as it would be UK society a mere 30 years ago). It's why in recent years hundreds of Muslim men have been convicted for sexually exploiting 1000s of white British girls. In short, the girls represent a society they have no respect for. If it was just sex then 1000s of young muslims girls would be victims too. This behaviour was not happening in the period 50-80s.

Put another way do you think Muslim families go to the Mosque on Friday and then get home to watch the Graham Norton show or the one where the contestants stand about starkers talking about strangers knobs and tuppances?

They don't need the internet.....it's on TV and all around them.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I think you have this wrong, post second world war I would wager the biggest refugee influx to the UK was the Asians persecuted by idi ami. That episode must have been less than 100k. Other non white migrants who arrived as part of the windrush generation etc were not refugees.......please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

As for radicalisation I'm of the view that it is not the internet that radicalises, it is contemporary western liberalism. When muslims arrived in the U.K. in the 50s, 60s and 70s this country was itself conservative (small c), you only have to go back to the furore around the release of the Life of Brian in 1979 where it was banned by some local authorities to understand that.

Culturally then the UK was different but I would contend it was not perceived to morally decadent by muslims.

The generations of muslims born since the 80s are living in a different society to their parents and grandparents, and as they have grown up within conservative Islamic homes, UK society has moved on to where we are now, with (for example) primary school children in Bristol being read stories by Drag Queens to help them understand trans gender issues.

It is these kinds of liberal values that radicalises, and why the UK for many is diametrically opposed to their conservative religious ideology (as it would be UK society a mere 30 years ago). It's why in recent years hundreds of Muslim men have been convicted for sexually exploiting 1000s of white British girls. In short, the girls represent a society they have no respect for. If it was just sex then 1000s of young muslims girls would be victims too. This behaviour was not happening in the period 50-80s.

Put another way do you think Muslim families go to the Mosque on Friday and then get home to watch the Graham Norton show or the one where the contestants stand about starkers talking about strangers knobs and tuppances?

They don't need the internet.....it's on TV and all around them.

I worked with a number of young British born Muslims, when working in Crawley, who said they were seriously angry and offended by Western "lack of modesty": female colleagues, at work nights out, passing people in the street, on tv etc. It is a big clash of beliefs I'm afraid. Also the amount of alcohol women drunk. I don't mind a liberal society but when it tends to decadency (which is happening more and more) even I think hmm, not sure I like this, and can see why they might be easily outraged > leading to sense of injustice> bitterness> aggression.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I worked with a number of young British born Muslims, when working in Crawley, who said they were seriously angry and offended by Western "lack of modesty": female colleagues, at work nights out, passing people in the street, on tv etc. It is a big clash of beliefs I'm afraid. Also the amount of alcohol women drunk. I don't mind a liberal society but when it tends to decadency (which is happening more and more) even I think hmm, not sure I like this, and can see why they might be easily outraged > leading to sense of injustice> bitterness> aggression.

I don't like to see immodest women, drunk and peeing in the street either. I just go home and shut the door, and feel grateful that my kids and grandkids aren't growing up like that. I don't feel the need to run people over, or attack them with knives because of it.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

If they don't like what they see in this country they know what to do...........Move to a country where they feel at home.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I am a Roman Catholic, and I do not like the decline in Western moral standards any more than does the average Muslim, but I do not feel the urge to slaughter people.

In any case, even if the entire Western world were devout Catholic, IS and the like would still hate the West. After all, earlier this year IS declared the Roman Catholic Church to be its greatest enemy (though I suspect that the Church took that as a compliment).

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I don't like to see immodest women, drunk and peeing in the street either. I just go home and shut the door, and feel grateful that my kids and grandkids aren't growing up like that. I don't feel the need to run people over, or attack them with knives because of it.

This this and this all day long.

They winge and wine about every country they live in saying its not their way, so well move to a country where you can have everything you want to have, because we don't want you living here if you continue to sympathise with the cowards.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
This this and this all day long.

They winge and wine about every country they live in saying its not their way, so well move to a country where you can have everything you want to have, because we don't want you living here if you continue to sympathise with the cowards.

That just won't happen though will it! R.I.P to those killed in Spain, especially the little ones.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I am a Roman Catholic, and I do not like the decline in Western moral standards any more than does the average Muslim, but I do not feel the urge to slaughter people.

In any case, even if the entire Western world were devout Catholic, IS and the like would still hate the West. After all, earlier this year IS declared the Roman Catholic Church to be its greatest enemy (though I suspect that the Church took that as a compliment).

That's true, and western liberalism is one ingredient, western geopolitical decisions have also contributed to the mix too......thank you Mr Blair.

The problem is however whether it is liberal values, historical geopolitical decisions, basic religious ideology or a combination thereof, the alienation some muslims feel (to a greater or lesser degree) is real.

Countries in the EU that do not have Muslim populations but are being asked to take them in by Germany and France must be thinking......so how did it turn out for you?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
There has been an attack in Finland now. Whether the attack was Islamist-inspired remains to be seen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here