Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The older generation considerably outweigh the young. This strengthens the argument to lower the voting age.
Really,... ?... so a full knowledge of PS4 gaming strategy and social media infrastructure is now a pre req to being able to make a sound political and social judgement in a general election???.... most 16 year olds wouldn't be able to tell you the name of 6 mainstream british political parties... let alone make sound judgement on the policies they present.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Really,... ?... so a full knowledge of PS4 gaming strategy and social media infrastructure is now a pre req to being able to make a sound political and social judgement in a general election???.... most 16 year olds wouldn't be able to tell you the name of 6 mainstream british political parties... let alone make sound judgement on the policies they present.

pfft since when has intelligence or knowledge of politics been a prerequisite for voting?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As mentioned elsewhere.... Corbyn is promising them the earth, and it will be of minimal cost to them. So that fits with the under 35's in this country who in general have this sense of entitlement, never having anyone really say no to them before,.... also as said here before, it will actually depend if they can drag themselves out of the student union bars, beard trimming salons or indeed their beds to register a vote,... its a tall order of course.

Because the over 45s not only got free university education, they got grants to pay for their accommodation & food, then they went into jobs with full salary pensions, able to buy a house with a 5% deposit and a reasonable 3.5 times your salary mortgage. Oh yeah, much better coming out of university now in the red for 30k no chance of buying a property for a decade and pensions worth next to nothing. Sense of entitlement, well, if the shoe fits.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
pfft since when has intelligence or knowledge of politics been a prerequisite for voting?
Nobody mentioned intelligence,.... but a handle on adult life and its pitfalls and challenges, at least nationally if not internationally,.... a general election is real life, not Instagram and WhatsApp instant gratification.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The Conservative party does not have Dianne Abbott, John McDonnell and Jeremy Corbyn as MP`s.
The Tories are the only major party that will deliver Real Brexit.

That is the frightening thing. Real Brexit will cripple this country for generations to come. The wheels are already beginning to come off. Once people begin to properly understand what a "No Deal" Brexit means, they will get VERY scared (although the implications are already obvious, if you care to look - unfortunately most people can't be bothered).

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Because the over 45s not only got free university education, they got grants to pay for their accommodation & food, then they went into jobs with full salary pensions, able to buy a house with a 5% deposit and a reasonable 3.5 times your salary mortgage. Oh yeah, much better coming out of university now in the red for 30k no chance of buying a property for a decade and pensions worth next to nothing. Sense of entitlement, well, if the shoe fits.

If you come out of Uni with a debt of only £30k you are doing very well....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Most 85 year olds wouldn't be able to tell you what they had for dinner yesterday. Should we put a maximum age cap on voting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
As mentioned elsewhere.... Corbyn is promising them the earth, and it will be of minimal cost to them. So that fits with the under 35's in this country who in general have this sense of entitlement, never having anyone really say no to them before,.... also as said here before, it will actually depend if they can drag themselves out of the student union bars, beard trimming salons or indeed their beds to register a vote,... its a tall order of course.

Or it could be that he seems to genuinely engage with young people rather than call us selfish and lazy?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Less people went to Uni, more people started at the very bottom, but were happy to work their way into a decent role on decent pay with decent benefits. There was this understanding that you wouldn't get brand new everything, we had 2nd hand until we got estaqblished in a career,.... there was an acceptance that not everyone was capable or entitled to a well paid job, you cut your cloth accordingly. I didn't go to Uni out of choice, but had a 30 year job in IT, working my way up and have retired at 54 this year,..... through hard bloody work, not because I expected it.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Most 85 year olds wouldn't be able to tell you what they had for dinner yesterday. Should we put a maximum age cap on voting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably yes... but at least they have the benefit of a lifetime of life and work experience.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
My mum 50 got free university education- mine has cost me £27,000 before we've even considered maintenance. - What are you study? I think some courses should be free. Depends what it is. If your study to be a doctor, have it free. It you are study law to become a solicitor, pay for it!

Erm, why? It's often the case that doctors earn more than solicitors. The average salary for a solicitor is 35k, and the average salary for a doctor is 40k. It's a myth that all lawyers are rolling around in the dosh. A few very rich ones in the City practising things like commercial law, yes, but most solicitors around the country aren't part of that lifestyle. They often do very socially important jobs too, but their job has been made far more difficult by government legal aid cuts.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

What would the 2.8M people who voted last June who'd never voted before or hadn't voted since the 1980's etc, tell you about the 6 mainstream British political parties and their policies on Brexit, to enable them to make a sound judgement in voting then?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Or it could be that he seems to genuinely engage with young people rather than call us selfish and lazy?
Will he be just as engageing when the m,oney runs out again and his fantasy economics fail to deliver this Utopian society he has promised,........ cupboard love methinks,.. cupboard love.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
What would the 2.8M people who voted last June who'd never voted before or hadn't voted since the 1980's etc, tell you about the 6 mainstream British political parties and their policies on Brexit, to enable them to make a sound judgement in voting then?
A life lived

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Less people went to Uni, more people started at the very bottom, but were happy to work their way into a decent role on decent pay with decent benefits. There was this understanding that you wouldn't get brand new everything, we had 2nd hand until we got estaqblished in a career,.... there was an acceptance that not everyone was capable or entitled to a well paid job, you cut your cloth accordingly. I didn't go to Uni out of choice, but had a 30 year job in IT, working my way up and have retired at 54 this year,..... through hard bloody work, not because I expected it.

Retired at 54, and the young have a sense of entitlement! Good for you, but blimey, unbelievable how a generation can view the one coming up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here