Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Slow (for me) Horsham Park Run of 24 mins on Saturday but Achilles tendon very sore. Felt it last week when running 7 miles of roads around Horsham. I am not normally injured after 49 years of football / running / other sport so any advice appreciated on recovering from this type of injury.

I had this for most of last year and essentially did the usual things but to no avail.

Resting for a week meant i could then run/play football etc but only re-activated the pain immediately.

Ice and compression aided to a degree but with the pain refusing to yield I started self diagnosing and decided it was a mild form of tendonitis.

I followed advice found online and discovered the following exercise which after following it religiously for 3 weeks had seen enough improvement that I can now do pretty much anything and if it flares up I know I have a cast iron cure.

1. Stand on any step with your heel on the damaged side hanging backwards out over the step.

2. Using only your damaged leg lower yourself off the back by about 3/4 inches or as much as the pain allows and hold for five to ten seconds, keeping your damaged leg straight.

3. Raise yourself to starting position using your undamaged leg - NEVER be tempted to use your damaged leg for this step.

4. Repeat a dozen times twice with a gap of one minute between sets.

5. Repeat twice daily for a week.

6. If you see improvement in this time you can change the exercise so on step 2 slightly bend the knee of your damaged leg and continue with the exercise as above.

You'll need to continue this routine for as long as necessary but if your damage is as severe as mine then the Achilles will be sore to the touch and obviously swollen.

Within three weeks I was back to my normal routine and now use this at the first hint of any trouble.

Apparently it works as a result of the fibres in the tendons become tangled during tendonitis and the low impact directed stretching this exercise produces slowly stretches and untangles the fibres allowing them to heal in the correct position.

I hope it works for you as it did for me!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Thanks for this. Looks promising.

A quick and casual audit reveals that there are (many?) more crocks than non-crocks among our number at present. Perhaps this is the case all the time, but it does seem particularly bad right now. Not sure how to explain this although maybe some are the victims of commitments to run (and therefore train for) spring marathons? Or perhaps just plain old bad luck and coincidence.

It is no coincidence when an excess of mince pies and Christmas cake interfaces with your mouth leading to an increased strain on various joints, ligaments, and muscles! :wink:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I had this for most of last year and essentially did the usual things but to no avail.

Resting for a week meant i could then run/play football etc but only re-activated the pain immediately.

Ice and compression aided to a degree but with the pain refusing to yield I started self diagnosing and decided it was a mild form of tendonitis.

I followed advice found online and discovered the following exercise which after following it religiously for 3 weeks had seen enough improvement that I can now do pretty much anything and if it flares up I know I have a cast iron cure.

1. Stand on any step with your heel on the damaged side hanging backwards out over the step.

2. Using only your damaged leg lower yourself off the back by about 3/4 inches or as much as the pain allows and hold for five to ten seconds, keeping your damaged leg straight.

3. Raise yourself to starting position using your undamaged leg - NEVER be tempted to use your damaged leg for this step.

4. Repeat a dozen times twice with a gap of one minute between sets.

5. Repeat twice daily for a week.

6. If you see improvement in this time you can change the exercise so on step 2 slightly bend the knee of your damaged leg and continue with the exercise as above.

You'll need to continue this routine for as long as necessary but if your damage is as severe as mine then the Achilles will be sore to the touch and obviously swollen.

Within three weeks I was back to my normal routine and now use this at the first hint of any trouble.

Apparently it works as a result of the fibres in the tendons become tangled during tendonitis and the low impact directed stretching this exercise produces slowly stretches and untangles the fibres allowing them to heal in the correct position.

I hope it works for you as it did for me!

I do a variation of that when I have achillies issues, except I don't use a step in order to avoid stressing the ligament, so am dropping the offending heel back to flat rather than beyond. It is otherwise the same exercise, so you raise yourself up using the good leg before transferring the weight across to the bad leg for the drop.

As an aside, I've got into the habit of stretching whilst waiting for the kettle to boil as a way of ensuring that I do them!

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
You can add me to the injury list! Just getting some pace back and I go and twist my ankle at a trampoline park! I wasn't even doing anything cool, just walking across a poxy trampoline and I'd only been there 5 minutes!

It's currently about twice it's normal size and starting to turn all the colours of the rainbow, but actually isn't too painful and I can walk on it so hopefully nothing too serious. Probably going to set me back a good month - I'm going to get seriously grumpy at home if I can't get back out and run soon...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You can add me to the injury list! Just getting some pace back and I go and twist my ankle at a trampoline park! I wasn't even doing anything cool, just walking across a poxy trampoline and I'd only been there 5 minutes!

It's currently about twice it's normal size and starting to turn all the colours of the rainbow, but actually isn't too painful and I can walk on it so hopefully nothing too serious. Probably going to set me back a good month - I'm going to get seriously grumpy at home if I can't get back out and run soon...

Perhaps we should have a prize for the most unusual way of getting crocked? The curse of the NSC Running Thread strikes again! Best wishes for speedy recovery,

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
You can add me to the NSC crocked list. Been slowly building up the mileage since starting up again in the new year. Done parkrun on Saturday followed by a hilly 10.3km over the Dyke yesterday and then went for a 5.5km run this morning. Legs were feeling a tad heavy to begin with but felt a short, sharp pain in my groin about half way round. Didn't have any strength to lift my left leg when going uphill after that point. Hoping it's nothing too serious and that a few days rest will do the trick.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You can add me to the NSC crocked list. Been slowly building up the mileage since starting up again in the new year. Done parkrun on Saturday followed by a hilly 10.3km over the Dyke yesterday and then went for a 5.5km run this morning. Legs were feeling a tad heavy to begin with but felt a short, sharp pain in my groin about half way round. Didn't have any strength to lift my left leg when going uphill after that point. Hoping it's nothing too serious and that a few days rest will do the trick.

I'm beginning to feel strangely responsible for this! Groin strain not tear, we hope. Best of luck with recovery.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
BLISTERS!!! Went running last week in my new training, had a small blister, nothing to worry about. However, on Saturday I thought I would be careful and put a plaster on said blister just to be on the safe side. Only managed 3 miles before the pain was too much, and ending up doing the dreading walk of shame home for 3 miles.

The blister is on the 'knuckle' of the big toe, where the straps of of the shoe have a small plastic coating. Not only has it created a blister but it has also bruised the toe. Bloody painful.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Blimey, reading through that lot is pretty sobering. Highlights the demands we all make on ourselves in the name of running.Wish all the crocks speedy recoveries.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
BLISTERS!!! Went running last week in my new training, had a small blister, nothing to worry about. However, on Saturday I thought I would be careful and put a plaster on said blister just to be on the safe side. Only managed 3 miles before the pain was too much, and ending up doing the dreading walk of shame home for 3 miles.

The blister is on the 'knuckle' of the big toe, where the straps of of the shoe have a small plastic coating. Not only has it created a blister but it has also bruised the toe. Bloody painful.

I've developed a couple of blisters on toes in recent long runs through rubbing on training shoes that have been previously fine. One in particular, on my little toe was massive and painful. I found that Compeed blister strips really worked however (they're essentially plasters with a kind of gel inside them, that you leave on the blister for several days), and I was able to run again normally (with the Compeed strips on) after a day or two, and the blisters are recovering ok.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

Do an ice pack for 30 mins then a Heat pack for 30 mins and repeat as long as you can everyday
I thought I had done my groin last week after a long run but three evenings of ice pack heat pack down the groin done the trick and fine now as just finished a 17.5mile walk out here in sunny Cyprus

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Do an ice pack for 30 mins then a Heat pack for 30 mins and repeat as long as you can everyday
I thought I had done my groin last week after a long run but three evenings of ice pack heat pack down the groin done the trick and fine now as just finished a 17.5mile walk out here in sunny Cyprus

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure that I do that for the next few evenings.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Blimey - I've just opened this thread to say I was stopping my streak due to the pains in my knees and seen [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]'s post. Feeling his pain, literally.

My knees haven't been right and I've known that, but the discomfort has been manageable. At least I think it has. I like being out there running so much that maybe I've just been kidding myself. Or maybe even 20 miles a week is too much too soon.

All evening I've been sitting here intending to go out for a slow mile - just to keep the streak going, but that's just silly. I need to get myself sorted out properly. I'd like to have 30 or 40 years or running ahead of me, and what I'm doing at the moment isn't going to help me achieve that.

****ing legs.

On the subject of runstreaks, sad to see that Ron Hill has called an end to his due to illness.

b948651806d08b050a6adc4a48b6b910.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I beat him in a half Marathon once!

Great Langdale 2008

:bowdown: Not bad to beat a legend even if he was 71 at the time. Still wear a retro 70's nylon pair of running slacks from his clothing range. Only at night in winter when no one can see me in them.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Blimey, reading through that lot is pretty sobering. Highlights the demands we all make on ourselves in the name of running.Wish all the crocks speedy recoveries.

Kind of makes me wonder when a problem will arise! I am a bit sore this evening which is down to an 18 mile run (a new longest distance) but nothing worse thankfully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here