Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you have a milkman?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Used to have it delivered when I lived at home. I believe my folks still do. His name was Gerry and used to bomb round in a converted little suzuki van. One of the ones that are really easy to tip over. Used to get a massive tip at Xmas too.

Don't know if he's still delivering though. Haven't seen him about for a while.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Haven't had milk delivered in many years as - like having a newspaper delivered daily - some days I wanted it and some days I didn't. Just preferred the flexibility of buying my own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I haven't seen a milkman in years, let alone used one! quite strange really as we are surrounded by many farms and you can tell everyday when they are milking as the smell is :sick: I'm building a house not far from where we live and its right in the heart of the "Milk Farming World" and everyday the smell is gross! if that's what the smell of the country air is.........you can keep it :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did you remember to cancel the milk? :moo:

I think so!

That milkman was great. My son worked for him whilst in sixth form. He also called the police when we were in Sussex, visiting my Dad, because he knew we were away, and spotted a broken window. We had been burgled, so the house was made secure.
They don't make them like that anymore.

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Used to have one about 15 years back, partly because we didn't like seeing them decline and elderly relatives still benefitted from having one. But as others have said, deliveries became unpredictable, pints going off after being left in direct sunlight and the spiralling cost meant we bowed to the inevitable and went the supermarket route. Pity, really.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Let's hope he doesn't start to deliver more than pints of milk!!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
3 times a week I get a 4 pint milk & 1 of oj. Total rip off. Mrs loves it. Despite their being 2 newsagents within 100m of our house

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We have one, delivers three times a week always somewhere around 5.30am, yes its more expensive than Tesco but I don't care and yes we tipped him.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Yes we use https://m.milkandmore.co.uk/h5/index and its a fantastic service. We started when we had young children and kept running out of milk. The milk tastes much nicer than the supermarket stuff, is reasonably priced and we can amend our order online up until 9pm the night before. They now delivery loads of stuff so more more running out of bread, breakfast or toilet paper.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes we use https://m.milkandmore.co.uk/h5/index and its a fantastic service. We started when we had young children and kept running out of milk. The milk tastes much nicer than the supermarket stuff, is reasonably priced and we can amend our order online up until 9pm the night before. They now delivery loads of stuff so more more running out of bread, breakfast or toilet paper.

I was intrigued by this service, as I'd like to have a milko again, so checked it out. I hate to burst your "reasonably priced" bubble, but 2 litres of organic semi-skimmed is £3.39, rather than £1.90 at Waitrose (Waitrose, ffs - God knows what it is at Lidl), and Kingsmill 50/50 is £1.55, rather than £0.80 at Waitrose.

I'll pass this time...

Apr 29, 2012
Yes we have one too, it's all done online so there's no stress involved and the milk does taste better IMO........................yes it's more expensive, but I personally look at it as putting something back into the llocal economy and a job to a local rather than funding Tescoland!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Does it feel a bit weird having toilet paper delivered on your door step?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We took on the services of a milkman at some point in 2016.

I've never met Colin (his name has not been changed to protect the innocent), but right now, on another sofa close to me, a Christmas card is being written and one of those new play-money £5 notes is about to be popped inside.

I reckon less than 1 in 10 (probably less than 1 in 20) NSCers have a milkman. Let's see...

Calling [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION].

I'm going to go with less than 1 in 1000.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. He charges 81p a pint (I think). We do it because a) it's a British tradition, and b) it's the best form of container recycling as all they do is wash the glass bottles and refill them. Anybody who says they 'care' about the environment and who doesn't like cars but buys milk in plastic containers can go stick their hypocritical heads up their hypocritical arses.

Happy Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here