Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol Fans comment?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
if id come all the way from Bristol to Brighton on a Tuesday to watch my team get beaten I'd be pissed off too.

And there are, demonstrably, a lot of JCLs at the AMEX which means little atmosphere and noise. The generation after this one will be embedded Brighton fans. A hell of a lot of our support were Chelsea or Man Utd. Fans until a few years ago don't forget. Just look at the NSC join dates to see how there has been a huge influx of new supporters. And welcome they are too.

I joined Aug 2011 but went to my first match in 1977, did the gillingham thing and was a withdean season ticket holder. Join dates mean nothing.

theboybilly

It's not , however how are Chelsea any different to that , as many on here would claim they are ?
In fact i'll answer my own question, they're not, its just on a larger scale .

8,000 to 20,000 for top-flight games? Hardly larger. It's only since 2003 (and Abramovic) that Chelsea have attracted a regular large home following unless they were trophy holders. Arsenal (obviously) Spurs and West Ham will always outdo Chelsea for core-support. West Ham could become a huge club when they move.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Likewise diego.

in fact that wasnt the expected response at all, thats why you came up with the lame ''its so easy to yank your chain'' get out clause.

On the contrary, it was no get out clause; you responded to my use of the "match day experience" reference in exactly the way I expected your short fuse would dictate.

Specifically related to this thread, you are out of step with both the way the club are going with the match day experience and also the large majority of Brighton fans. Our fans are an eclectic mixture nowadays, old men, middle-aged men, young men, wealthy men, middle-class men, heterosexual men, gay men, bisexual men, poor men, white men, afro-caribbean men, asian men, arabian men, vegetarian men, agnostic men, catholic men, jewish men, spanish men, muslim men, single men, family men and ten thousand other sub categorisations of men. Oh, wait a minute, nowadays there's also women; old women, middle-aged women, young women, wealthy etc. etc. And then there's boys and then there's girls. Face painting and live bands? Absolutely; football is at the core but the additional attractions are an important element for many, they ain't going away so get used to them. I, like you, rue the fact that the atmosphere generated at home doesn't match that at away games but unlike you, I'm realistic enough to recognise and accept it as part of the modern footyball (just couldn't help myself) experience.

More generally, your posts on NSC are almost exclusively on threads that are related in some way to violence and people who do not look or act in compliance with your norm. You are sneering and dismissive about decent people and behaviours and readily revert to epithets to get your opinion across. Your tone is almost invariably aggressive with a very occasional nod to humour. You have an anger inside that frequently breaks through your thin veneer of patience into bullying and vehement invective. You have a large chip on your shoulder and are oblivious to the very apparent irony of your intolerance coming across in every way as extreme as the extremists you rail against.

To reiterate, your posts and responses are always exactly what I expect.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
On the contrary, it was no get out clause; you responded to my use of the "match day experience" reference in exactly the way I expected your short fuse would dictate.

Specifically related to this thread, you are out of step with both the way the club are going with the match day experience and also the large majority of Brighton fans. Our fans are an eclectic mixture nowadays, old men, middle-aged men, young men, wealthy men, middle-class men, heterosexual men, gay men, bisexual men, poor men, white men, afro-caribbean men, asian men, arabian men, vegetarian men, agnostic men, catholic men, jewish men, spanish men, muslim men, single men, family men and ten thousand other sub categorisations of men. Oh, wait a minute, nowadays there's also women; old women, middle-aged women, young women, wealthy etc. etc. And then there's boys and then there's girls. Face painting and live bands? Absolutely; football is at the core but the additional attractions are an important element for many, they ain't going away so get used to them. I, like you, rue the fact that the atmosphere generated at home doesn't match that at away games but unlike you, I'm realistic enough to recognise and accept it as part of the modern footyball (just couldn't help myself) experience.

More generally, your posts on NSC are almost exclusively on threads that are related in some way to violence and people who do not look or act in compliance with your norm. You are sneering and dismissive about decent people and behaviours and readily revert to epithets to get your opinion across. Your tone is almost invariably aggressive with a very occasional nod to humour. You have an anger inside that frequently breaks through your thin veneer of patience into bullying and vehement invective. You have a large chip on your shoulder and are oblivious to the very apparent irony of your intolerance coming across in every way as extreme as the extremists you rail against.

To reiterate, your posts and responses are always exactly what I expect.
I dont doubt the veracity of your comment that i'm out of step with the way the club are going , i'd take issue with the comment about being out of step with the LARGE MAJORITY of brighton fans , i'd also question your inference that i'm in favour of a return to violence and intimidation , which is patently untrue, i'd just like to see a little bit of an edge return to match days and an end to the happy clappy, ' i spoke to an away fan and he had lots of nice things to say about the amex'' type gushiness, and all the while this is a main feature then you can kiss goodbye to any atmosphere , and i dont consider whirling your scarves around in unison to orchestrated singing a la palace ultras to be 'atmosphere'.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
8,000 to 20,000 for top-flight games? Hardly larger. It's only since 2003 (and Abramovic) that Chelsea have attracted a regular large home following unless they were trophy holders. Arsenal (obviously) Spurs and West Ham will always outdo Chelsea for core-support. West Ham could become a huge club when they move.
Youre clueless , and your anti chelsea chip shines through, as it has done on here before , if you think that its only since 2003 that chelsea have been a ''big'' club , we were beating real madrid in european finals 44 years ago you clown.

theboybilly

Youre clueless , and your anti chelsea chip shines through, as it has done on here before , if you think that its only since 2003 that chelsea have been a ''big'' club , we were beating real madrid in european finals 44 years ago you clown.

I'm sure my anti-Chelsea bias does shine through - I'm never going to deny it, I think it should be mandatory. Up until 2003 Chelsea were a 'cup' team (apart from when they fluked a league title in '55). I think it's quite quaint how the whole Stamford Bridge set-up is geared to being what Ken Bates called 'the Manchester United of the South'. You even pinched 'the Red Flag' from them and turned it into your anthem when in fact 'One man went to mow' was your real ditty (largely because it was one song that people who got together so rarely would know all the words to)
But my hatred of all things Chelsea goes way back before Abramovic...and very likely before your 'support' of them.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm sure my anti-Chelsea bias does shine through - I'm never going to deny it, I think it should be mandatory. Up until 2003 Chelsea were a 'cup' team (apart from when they fluked a league title in '55). I think it's quite quaint how the whole Stamford Bridge set-up is geared to being what Ken Bates called 'the Manchester United of the South'. You even pinched 'the Red Flag' from them and turned it into your anthem when in fact 'One man went to mow' was your real ditty (largely because it was one song that people who got together so rarely would know all the words to)
But my hatred of all things Chelsea goes way back before Abramovic...and very likely before your 'support' of them.
it would have to be pre 1967 for that to be true, get a slap in 1983 did we ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So an interesting thread relevant to last night's game has been de-railed to a discussion about whether Brighton or Chelsea have the most 'plastics'.

Strewth.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The one thing I have to agree with the inbred farmer on is though,
Is the atmosphere. If it wasn't for the Northstand then the ground would have sat
In total silence apart from the away fans.
Even when you scored most people in the West, East and South are sitting on their
arses clapping like they do when a try is scored in Rugby Union.
Open your traps, stand up scream and shout even bring doe ****ing
Flags to the game. Atmosphere is getting well bad just like attendances are going down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You make it sound like most of our support are JCLs which I don' think is the case.

As the crowds at the Amex are roughly three times as large as we could cram into Withdean, it stands to reason that some of them must be JCLs - or new fans, as I'd prefer to call them, and very welcome too. It's true we did get 30,000 gates at the Goldstone, but that was a long time ago (and, to be honest, not all that often!) so many of those 30,000 will sadly no longer be with us.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
if id come all the way from Bristol to Brighton on a Tuesday to watch my team get beaten I'd be pissed off too.

And there are, demonstrably, a lot of JCLs at the AMEX which means little atmosphere and noise. The generation after this one will be embedded Brighton fans. A hell of a lot of our support were Chelsea or Man Utd. Fans until a few years ago don't forget. Just look at the NSC join dates to see how there has been a huge influx of new supporters. And welcome they are too.

Nsc join dates mean absolutely nothing.

Join dates do mean absolutely nothing TB I agree.
I have been going to watch Brighton for over 40 years, but I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I was 100% computer illiterate until 2013, joining NSC has helped me to learn about using a computer, smart phone and IPad .

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The one thing I have to agree with the inbred farmer on is though,
Is the atmosphere. If it wasn't for the Northstand then the ground would have sat
In total silence apart from the away fans.
Even when you scored most people in the West, East and South are sitting on their
arses clapping like they do when a try is scored in Rugby Union.

well it wasn't like that in the part of WSU that I was in. Everyone went mental!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Where were they at withdean then ?

I remember vividly that there were a load of people ( the brewery tap used to have a sizeable number) who would laugh at me for going to sit in the rain at the theatre of shit and would settle down to watch soccer Saturday as we saddos trudged off. I've seen quite a few of those same lads at falmer these days proclaiming that their love for the Albion has been eternal. One of them has a Liverpool tattoo on his leg ffs

I welcome all of the new fans, I'd be an idiot not to, but there's a lot of fecking hypocrites among our ranks which I don't like.

Oddly, despite the appalling facilities, I used to love sitting in H at withdean. Felt like being a part of something real. Certainly more enjoyable than ESL.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Join dates do mean absolutely nothing TB I agree.
I have been going to watch Brighton for over 40 years, but I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I was 100% computer illiterate until 2013, joining NSC has helped me to learn about using a computer, smart phone and IPad .

Not surprising. You still point at aeroplanes in Newhaven.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here