Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When and why did football hooliganism stop?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
This my niece is a nurse at rsch she worked Friday ( millwall at home)night 3 stabbing and about 50 people with fighting injuries all football related she said it was a horrendous shift

Find it very hard to believe that all of those injuries were a result of football violence.. Very little happened Friday night.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Find it very hard to believe that all of those injuries were a result of football violence.. Very little happened Friday night.

Any street fights in town whether or not connected to the football in any way would have been logged as football related.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It hasn't gone away but widespread, large scale football violence massively declined after the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters. Add to that the second summer of love in the late eighties, with a big cross- over from rave culture to the terraces, and that helped radically change hitherto volatile and violent atmospheres.
A third summer of love would be nice. Long over-due in my view.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I read something about it that stated that the fact that fathers stopped taking sons to football in the 70s and 80s meant that the kids were misbehaving as there were no older people there to stop them and the police were often happy to let them get on with it.

CCTV and being able to identify ticket holders pretty much stopped trouble at matches. I also think the fans had had enough of it. It was fun whilst it lasted but some took it far too seriously and started using weapons.

Obviously there is still trouble but rarely at matches and certainly not on the scale it used to be.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
It hasn't gone away completely, not at some clubs....I was surprised how "nice" the Brighton fans are...all a bit too friendly. What's all this bollox of clapping the away fans for their attendance when the attendance figures are announced??? Should be booing them and goading them and taking the piss...

There doesn't seem to be any derogatory songs against the opposing teams except Palace.

I've tried several times to get a piss taking song going in the North Stand and no ****er joins in...

Oh well, just all too sanitised these days.......

Unless it's Chelsea v the bin dippers or Chelsea v Sp*rs or Cardiff......

And when Chelsea came down the Brighton for the pre-season friendly they had some well funny piss taking songs against the Brighton fans...

I've been going to the footie since the 70's and the biggest thing to change footie is having to sit down.

Since when has hooliganism been about singing naughty songs?

Brighton have been one of the most active around in the last few years. Gone are hundreds having running battles but it's still there!

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
i think there's a popular theory that the summer of love '88 began the end, as lads had something else to look forward to and popping E's doesnt make fighters, then the advent of all seater and generally feeling enough was enough from both authorities and the fans in early 90's. Euro '96 made it into a family affair, wifes and girlfriends watched along down the pub and started going. probably not 100% accurate, but that 88-96 is the time period it all chaged.

This is spot on, plus CCTV.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
There was a terrible event recently where someone lost their life in south america in some obscure match as far as were concerned. A bit like their a few hundered years behind us like in the middle east and with what happened in Packistan and ISIS ect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here