Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea and Norwich "on alert" as Garcia set to quit Brighton

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Would prefer it if Oscar at least had a chance to make his mark on the team and we didn't have to deal with more close-season turmoil over Summer.
Not particularly a fan of our approach under him so far but then we have signed an abundance of pretty average-looking players (Lita, Andrews, Rodriguez, Obika + jury out on Stephens and Lingard)- which were presumably Burke's signings- and had to contend with horrendous injury problems.
There's only so much you can do when you're being given the wrong tools for the job, and most of the right tools have been broken for large portions of the campaign.

(The tools thing is an analogy, I'm not calling all of our players tools).

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Can't see that happening at all. He's not proven himself at our lowly level let alone in the top league. A non story.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
PHP:
Maybe they recognise the fact he's a good coach who's done damn well to keep us in the play off hunt despite having his team ripped apart.

Don't be absurd. We were on course to win the Champions League in two seasons time but the only thing standing in the way of our destiny as a huge club is Oscar Garcia.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Personally I hope it's true. I'm fed up with OG. He's not the manager (sorry, coach) I thought he'd be. I'd like to see an English (or at least British) replacement. Maybe Houghton or Mackay.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You'll note I said IF true. If two separate managers left within a year and one of the reasons was our transfers policy we would have a problem. I find it odd that we're still discussing if he engineered his own leaving. We know from TB that he offered to leave in March but before then? And why in March? We had a very good chance of going up still, better than we do this season. Yes, of course he was a walking ego but why the 'hit the ceiling' comment? It implies dissatisfaction with the transfer policy as does the Mail article.

The rest of the post is the sort of rational, well thought out stuff I used to peddle before we embarked on this latest appalling run, dull football and no wins. Maybe I do need to chill but I see a side in free fall. I make it that we got more points in our first 20 games than our last 20 when we were supposedly injury struck with a manager learning the division. This period right now is when we were supposed to kick on.

Correct observation:

31 points in the first twenty games
27 points since

Source: statto.com

Although the recent run has been the major factor. Good posts, GB.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It took Gus half a season of steering us away from relegation, a title winning season, a very strong debut in the Championship and then a season in which we were ever so close to promotion, before he was getting Premier League interest. And even then that interest was from a club on the verge of relegation (Reading) before another relegation threatened club came in for him half a season later.

Oscar has achieved precisely NOTHING in England yet, and if I were a Swansea fan I'd be disappointed to hear my club were chasing him.

I still think he could be a very good manager for us and I look forward to him proving me right, however at the moment I don't think his stock is particularly high in this country. We're on course to finish in a worse position than we did last season, although admittedly under mitigating circumstances regarding injuries and transfers out, and I don't think higher placed clubs are going to be itching to snap him up just yet.

Given the disaster that was Di Canio at Sunderland I think Premier League clubs are understandably wary of picking up managers from the lower leagues who've not got a very decent proven track record. Even our Gus, who worked wonders for our club, is struggling in the Premier League and is very likely to find a relegation stamped on his CV come the summer.

A top club coming in for Oscar would be a big gamble and I just can't see it happening.

What's worrying is the suggestion that the guy is disillusioned with life here. But seeing as I don't believe the rest of the story, I'm going to assume this is BS too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was really hoping we wouldn't be having one of 'those' Summers.

It was never a surprise as Mr Poyet constantly batted his eye-lids a every available job and talked of ceilings.

Oscar has been so 'professional' about the club, Tony, the board, to the point of bland, I half assumed nobody else had really taken any notice, of him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This isn't about Oscar, it's about David Burke and how we do business. So many questions:

1. Is it coincidence that we've looked to Swansea and Cardiff for a lot of our players - are these Burke connections that he's 'over-egged'?
2. What influence is Nathan Jones having in signings - Obika? Stephens? Rodriguez?
3. We weren't scoring a lot when Conway was here, we've scored less since. Did Oscar want him and, if so, why didn't we get him?
4. Lewis Grabban - what the hell went wrong there?

It seems the shadow of FFP has had a big hand in these decisions, but it isn't at all clear who is driving the recruitment, and that means we can't really make a judgement on how well or badly Oscar is doing.

My gut feeling is he's never been given enough say in getting bodies in or shipping them out. For me, the jury is out on him, but if he should leave I think he'll have success wherever he goes, so I really hope he stays, albeit with more say.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
David Burke and his scouting team are driving the recruitment. In his Albion Roar interview he gave the impression that pretty much no stone was left unturned in assessing potential recruits. We have scouts in the UK and abroad, not just swansea and cardiff. The potential pool of recruits will naturally shrink due to finance, player personality, skill set, geography etc etc. The club put together dossiers on players. Oscar has the FINAL say on whether we sign someone but he does not necessarily drive the process, this is similar to the way Oscar worked in his previous job. If Oscar has a particular target in mind then it will be up to Burke to go and do the due diligence and paperwork and leave Oscar to work with the players who are here.

My gut instinct is that the club have been particularly thrifty with the budget (despite protestations to the contrary) whilst they are righting the off-the-field ship. I would hope that once the club are happy that the business/operations/finance side of the Albion is sorted to their satisfaction then we can be more aggressive in the transfer market.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hope its true but not sure why Swansea and Norwich would be after him which makes me think the article is rubbish.

Because he's very highly regarded within football, and was a serious candidate for the BARCELONA job not long ago?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
It wouldn't be the first time the Nuremberg News has lifted a story from this forum and put their own unique slant on it. They've probably had a trawl through, seen all the anti Garcia stuff on here and decided with a bit of spicing up, its a story to fill a few column inches.

Or there may be something in it? Who knows? :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
David Burke and his scouting team are driving the recruitment. In his Albion Roar interview he gave the impression that pretty much no stone was left unturned in assessing potential recruits. We have scouts in the UK and abroad, not just swansea and cardiff.

Orlandi, Dobbie, Agustein, Harley, Lita, Conway, Joe Mason, Gestede, Noone are but 9 names that have moved to/from South Wales, or have been heavily linked. Seems disproportionately high. Does David Rodriguez have an Auntie Gwyneth that we don't know about?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This isn't about Oscar, it's about David Burke and how we do business. So many questions:

1. Is it coincidence that we've looked to Swansea and Cardiff for a lot of our players - are these Burke connections that he's 'over-egged'?
2. What influence is Nathan Jones having in signings - Obika? Stephens? Rodriguez?
3. We weren't scoring a lot when Conway was here, we've scored less since. Did Oscar want him and, if so, why didn't we get him?
4. Lewis Grabban - what the hell went wrong there?

It seems the shadow of FFP has had a big hand in these decisions, but it isn't at all clear who is driving the recruitment, and that means we can't really make a judgement on how well or badly Oscar is doing.

My gut feeling is he's never been given enough say in getting bodies in or shipping them out. For me, the jury is out on him, but if he should leave I think he'll have success wherever he goes, so I really hope he stays, albeit with more say.

1. Maybe.
2. Some.
3. Yes he wanted him, but so did Blackburn and they have recieved a £16M parachute payment this season, guess who offered the best deal.
4. Grabban was happy with the wage but wanted a longer term deal, Bournemouth offered him that and he did not have to move anywhere to get it. Bournemouth may yet regret that though, he has a deal now that runs for 3 years, during which time FFP gets tighter and tighter, he is likely to be their top earner and if he has a season long injury like CMS or Hoskins have had, they are unlikely to have any funds within FFP to loan in cover, much like we haven't had this season.

It is totally clear who is driving recruitment, I don't know why people say this, it is Burke and his scouting team, the club state this. But he drives it for Oscar, if Oscar says we need a left back, Burke gives him a list of who he thinks might fit the bill and then tries to sign Oscars first choice, and if that is too expensive or does not come off they move down the list.
We would have no more money to spend if Oscar was doing the dealing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here