Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patreon
Jan 30, 2008
I’ve just bought an Amazon firestick, so can start watching Prime movies on the box, opening up another back catalogue.

We watched The Girl on the Train (2016), a thriller starring Emily Blunt. 7/10. A great performance from her, a very different character from her other movies, with an unpredictable ending.

i just watched The Girl on the southern Train. took about two hours longer than expectaid and was very slow

regards
DR

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Blakkklansman: average. slow. disappointing overall 5/10

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Walk Like A Panther

It’s Saturday. It’s 4pm. It’s grapple time!

For fans of British wrestling this film is a little , fun treat. Set in Newcastle and starring among many British greats, Stephen Graham, WLAP tells the story of an ageing wrestling troupe coming out of retirement to raise money to save their local pub, The Half Nelson. Can they get match fit? Can they defeat the Brewery and save the boozer? Of course they ****ing can but it’s a good bit of fun to watch them getting there.
Lots of actors from Snatch and This Is England and even an appearance from the wonderful Scroobius Pip make this a little gem. It’s not gonna set the oscars alight but I thought it was good fun.

And if yuh go to Chili Cinema website you can rent it free, like I did. Easy, Easy, Easy!

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
On Chesil Beach:

The tale of a couple who love each other completely but for reasons best left for the film to explain, cannot be together. He spends the rest of his life unfulfilled and lonely. It really affected me this film. Not least because Chesil beach made up a huge part of my life and I scattered my Father’s ashes there. A brilliant adaptation of Irvine Welsh’s novella. Stunningly shot.
8.5/10

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
On Chesil Beach:

The tale of a couple who love each other completely but for reasons best left for the film to explain, cannot be together. He spends the rest of his life unfulfilled and lonely. It really affected me this film. Not least because Chesil beach made up a huge part of my life and I scattered my Father’s ashes there. A brilliant adaptation of Irvine Welsh’s novella. Stunningly shot.
8.5/10
Hope it's a better film than the massively dull book.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Will be watching American Animals. Producer is Hove born Derrin Schlesinger from IT Crowd and more. Brits filming in the States. Hope it's good.

You learn something new every day. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

That film is brilliant. Suspense building and building over a ******* book. Great soundtrack too. Really enjoyed that this evening. Despite being the producer's friend since school I am not biased as she has produced a lot of s***. Nathan Barley with Chris Morris and Southcliff spring to mind from TV. Four Lions not appealing either. She's found a good Director here.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Final Score
It's on Sky Movies and is essentially Die Hard, with some wrestler set at West Ham's last game at the Boleyn ground. It is as stupid and enjoyable as that sounds if you want some undemanding viewing. Sky Sports seem to be involved in the making of it and I won't ruin it by telling you what happens to Tony Cottee

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I fall asleep quite a lot in films these days, as I mention regularly, but on Saturday I went to see The Little Stranger, and felt that I'd dropped off even though I hadn't. I felt mostly unstruck by it, and not greatly mystified. There was definitely something amiss with the casting. Will Poulter is thankfully not in it much, but as a scarred war veteran, when I think he is about 19 and unstoppably boyish even behind the prosthetics, just seemed incorrect. Even his limp was off. Domhnall Gleeson, I find, is getting to me in films in the wrong way. I reckon in part it's because I sat through About Time, in which people involved should be hated, but also because of his range, or lack of. He stood out in the Star Wars films, I thought, as not managing to muster a necessary fiendishness, and in this film unable to internally seethe. So his acridity seemed without potency here too. There were some moments in which his presence made for the sneeringness of class that stirs his bitterness, but i didn't feel his stillness had the discomfort of it all rendered. Anywho, that's enough about Gleeson, who might still come good.
The film finished, and i left with a number of shrugs, and a partial disbelief that i had even watched something.
Just to add, actually, Ruth Wilson was good. She had it in her to bring character to proceedings.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Final Score
It's on Sky Movies and is essentially Die Hard, with some wrestler set at West Ham's last game at the Boleyn ground. It is as stupid and enjoyable as that sounds if you want some undemanding viewing. Sky Sports seem to be involved in the making of it and I won't ruin it by telling you what happens to Tony Cottee
The trailers make it look beyond awful. I love a good action romp but both me and the nipper thought it was a piss take when we first saw the clips.

Football and films. Why does it never work?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That film is brilliant. Suspense building and building over a ******* book. Great soundtrack too. Really enjoyed that this evening. Despite being the producer's friend since school I am not biased as she has produced a lot of s***. Nathan Barley with Chris Morris and Southcliff spring to mind from TV. Four Lions not appealing either. She's found a good Director here.

Huh? Southcliff, four lions and Nathan Barley are three of the finest, most highly regarded productions of the last few years. What a baffling point of view. They are brilliant.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Huh? Southcliff, four lions and Nathan Barley are three of the finest, most highly regarded productions of the last few years. What a baffling point of view. They are brilliant.
Watched Four Lions again the other week as my son hadn't seen it before. It really is brilliant.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The second film was Leave No Trace, for which I had reasonably high hopes. I'd rather liked Winter's Bone - surprisingly 8 years ago - and this was good too, but I didn't have the same level of feeling for it. Everyone was astonishingly warm in it. Maybe that's just America, or being in and around Portland, but I didn't feel their take on the social services being so accepting of the situation was wholly authentic, or that society itself would be quite so helpful. Saying that, it was a good film. The feeling of the wild, and looking to disappear into it, along with notions of loyalty, both within the father/daughter relationship and how we are to see and treat those with wartime trauma, and of love itself in which sometimes you just have to let people go. A good flick, and I look forward to the director's next one, no matter how long away that might be.

Imho Leave No Trace is the best film I have seen this year. Understated yet absorbing. Absolutely loved it. download.jpg

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Imho Leave No Trace is the best film I have seen this year. Understated yet absorbing. Absolutely loved it. View attachment 100863

Agreed, I thought this was superb and the relationship between father and daughter was brilliant. Also interested (and depressed) me in the fact that outsiders look suspiciously on a man spending time with his teenage daughter, people always assume there must be some form of abuse going. on. Brilliantly powerful stuff.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I went to that there A Star is Born this afternoon, in a mildly sickly fashion, but made it through with an occasional cough and wheeze. I'd read of it highly spoken of in a review or two a month or so ago, and i thought i best sneak into see it. It was a good watch, for the most part - Lady Gaga is quite a singer, but as an actress fluctuating in quality, whilst Bradley Cooper handled himself well, both in front of camera in behind, yet in the scenes with Sam Elliott as his brother, although he is remarkably similar everywhere he goes, he does outshine Cooper in a moment or two. It seems best, as has happened in previous versions of the film, to have those seeming to be similar to the characters they play. I didn't feel the despair of Cooper's character having their loved one outsing them and the agony of observing that undo him though. It felt different to that, even if his decline his sadly evidenced, and the price of her success wasn't plainly spoken of.

What bothered me most of all, though, was the end song. Some good tunes are sung nearer the beginning, the powerful lust of music and how it ties people, are slightly overturned by the Whitney-esque bobbins at the end. Jeez.
As i say though, it was a good flick, and potently romantic and moving. The previous version of it is on Netflix at the minute, and i might start on it tonight to see how it compares.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I managed to see the last showing at Brighton Odeon of The King of Thieves yesterday afternoon. It disappoints me how movies don't seem to stay on long these days, but with only 4 others at this screening I guess that explains why.

This film has a great cast and they put in great performances by and large. Some real laugh out loud lines as well as some sad moments and I always enjoy a British set movie which this does well.

I'm going to miss Michael Caine when he finally retires, and judging from this film, this can't be far off.

8/10

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here