Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LoyaltyPointGate - discussion with the club

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Zero points for the 'glamour' games and 15 points for the less desirable away trips gives someone the chance to catch up 100 points a season if they really are committed and loyal enough. Seems like a pretty fair solution. And it is basically the system that we have in place. What the club got wrong was offering too many points for a cheap ticket - and that is also easily fixed.

Away cup games have been ten points since we moved to the Amex. Home cup games were 20, but reduced to 15 now, whoever the opposition.

The prices of away cup games are decided by the home club in agreement with Brighton.

How does the club know who we'll get in the draw, at the start of the season?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Away cup games have been ten points since we moved to the Amex. Home cup games were 20, but reduced to 15 now, whoever the opposition.

The prices of away cup games are decided by the home club in agreement with Brighton.

How does the club know who we'll get in the draw, at the start of the season?

Why do they need to know at the start of the season? They announce the ticket allocations, prices and points when we know the fixtures. They just need to stop allocating large amounts of points when the tickets are cheap.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
Not sure why when, as I said, you just got to suck it up and find alternatives. Mine is to enjoy the day with a good friend who supports the other team and sit with them / have a nice day out. I can't get away tickets, I'd practically take on Tim Carder as to my knowledge and affection for the club, did my bit in the war years, been a STH for years despite not living in Sussex blah blah blah but I know the system isn't perfect (albeit could be fairer / perfect is subjective anyway!) so not going to waste time being number 85,324 in the queue with 2.5k tickets only available. Instead a couple of calls to old friends, colleagues etc and 9 times out 10 I can get a ticket for every away game we play and see an old friend too. Sometimes not even had to pay and once even got hospitality thrown in for free / met Jimmy Case and was able to ask "did you really not hear that Ref?!!"

...and did Jimmy really not hear the ref?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why do they need to know at the start of the season? They announce the ticket allocations, prices and points when we know the fixtures.

That makes sense now, but the previous loyalty scheme and this one, had a flat rate of 15 home and 10 away.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Great excuse not to offer cheap cheap tickets anymore.

Luckily we are out that tin pot cup so this can just die down until the F.A Cup game.

No mention of weakened teams , half hearted performances and midfielders playing up top.

Personally I would give all 672 that attended 500 points each. The ones that sacked it off or couldn't make it dodged a bullet

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Did you look on the ticket website at all? There was the buy option for several days last week and this week as well.

Seeing as I don't have a season ticket and these tickets never made it to general sale I think I'm correct in saying that I would never have been able to buy tickets even if there were some available

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Nowhere in the t&cs does it say you have to attend to get your points. So legally noone has done anything wrong.

Morally is a different matter

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I think the best option is to hunt down the no-shows and put their loyalty points to 0 - sure there'll be the odd legit excuse, but they can take that up with the club themselves. Would be bloody hilarious imo!

PS - I don't do many/any aways myself anymore & don't even know how many points I have without looking so couldn't really give a toss about personal gain - just think it would teach the selfish *******s a lesson :lol:

While funny - is illegal imo

It's never gonna been seen as fair, and everyone has got their own perception of loyalty. You've got a few options including, Carry on fighting (metophorically speaking) keep applying, hope you get lucky etc or do what I did, gave the idea up, I apply for nothing now, if we're away I take in my local club, home or away (it's never that far) it's a lot cheaper, I've made some great mates and you'll be surprised how quickly yo embrace it an have an affinity (it's not like cheating on the wife, its more like having a good friend that's a bit fit)
My option isn't for everyone, but I feel liberated I don't lose sleep now over bun fights and also It is easier for me as I've been there/done that, I've seen us play at Goodson y'know!
With a little bit of cunning I don't miss out on much, apart from my ST points I've got sod all but I never miss Palace away, I'll probably be at both Manchester's and me and the boy will be at Arsenal next week.
It's only football, if I don't get a ticket the Earth don't stop spinning.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
If they are going to penalise those who bought tickets for Bournemouth and didn't show up, what about those ST holders who regularly miss home games or leave 10 or more minutes early ?

Fair point, well made.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Seeing as I don't have a season ticket and these tickets never made it to general sale I think I'm correct in saying that I would never have been able to buy tickets even if there were some available

And that is also partly where the club have gone wrong After a certain time period they should definitely have gone on general sale and remained on general sale when returns were processed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As I have said several times, fewer points when tickets are cheap (and few or zero points for hugely popular away games like Chelsea, Arsenal etc... your reward for your loyalty is your tickets, not another step higher up the ladder) - problem solved. :thumbsup:

It's so obvious this is the answer. Just make Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United, Man City, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton zero points. Why should anyone be rewarded for going to the games we are all desperate to do? And I say that as someone with 400+ points who will get a ticket for them all.

Give 5 points for the likes of Palace, Southampton, West Ham, Bournemouth and Watford. Then give 10 points for the long distance/non-glamour games at Swansea, Newcastle, Burnley, Huddersfield, West Brom, Stoke and Leicester. You then have a system where the only way to move forwards in the queue for the glamorous games is to go to the dull ones.

Absolutely the right answer, IMO.

That works if everyone had started on zero points this season, but they didn't.

This means that those behind the curve, are doing their best to catch up.

It does, but why wouldn't it be. Those at the top deserve to be there, not the likes of me. If they went to 10-15 aways every season for the last 5, rather than my 3 or 4, and we now have the same appetite for them, they DESERVE to stay ahead of me :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think there should be an Away Tickets Fair.

It would be like a record fair but for tickets.

Dealers and traders with rare tickets could punt them out to those willing to pay.

Held monthly perhaps, at the Amex with Piglets supplying the pies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here