Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
166. That's the number to look out for tomorrow night as apparently currently being the biggest Government margin of defeat in the Commons in the last 100 years. It was the Ramsay MacDonald Government in 1924 that hold that honour that Theresa May might yet surpass in 2019.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
13 July 2016 Theresa May become PM (Remainer)
8 June 2017 Theresa May holds a snap GE loses 22 seats.

END OF BREXIT :shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have said what I want many times, here is a thread for you to read.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...down-to-11PM-GMT-on-Friday-29th-of-March-2019
Equally happy for you to just to take my word on it and move on if you can.

Well if you have said it many times, maybe give us one instance where you say what you want - TM's deal, Norway, No deal etc etc. Because, as far as I remember you are the only person on this thread that has never said what they want. (I wonder why that might be)

And you can keep on referring to this thread all you like, there is not a single post where you state what you want :shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So here we are 2.5 years after the vote and where have we got to ?

1. A negotiated deal where (it seems surprisingly to some), the EU won't let us have any of their cherries (a deal that would have been much the same had it been negotiated by Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Jeremy Corbyn, Tony Blair coming back from retirement or Maggie Thatcher coming back from beyond).

2. A 'no deal' that all but the most elemental have now realised is completely unachievable (and wouldn't have been even if we had started preparing 2.5 years ago).

3. Something else.

If only someone could have seen this coming :rolleyes:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Interesting these Brexiteers who have derided Remainers who have protested. Saying their wasting their time, should get a job, snowflakes, anti democracy etc etc
Yet two things strike me.

One, they’re now threatening carnage in the streets.
Two, they never bothered getting off their, no doubt big fat lager fed arris’s and made their voices heard when it was obvious it was all going wrong.

They’ve done it to themselves. And unfortunately, us.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/...day-to-go-mays-final-push-super-boles-sunday/

MAY’S FINAL PUSH: Theresa May heads to Stoke-on-Trent this morning as No. 10 mounts a last-ditch effort to convince MPs to back her Brexit deal. The PM will use a speech at a factory in the Leave-supporting town to warn Brexiteer MPs that blocking her deal tomorrow night will only help those who wish to stop Brexit altogether, with “no Brexit” now far more likely than a no-deal scenario. At the same time she will warn Remainer MPs that failing to implement the referendum result would do “catastrophic harm” to the British public’s faith in democracy, and that MPs have a “duty” to deliver Brexit as promised. The speech will be carried live from 9.50 a.m., and you can expect a Q&A with journalists to follow.

The Welsh precedent: Extracts from May’s speech released by Downing Street last night show she will invoke the 1997 referendum on creating the Welsh assembly — in which the Yes vote won by the narrowest of margins — to press her case for delivering Brexit. “When the people of Wales voted by a margin of 0.3 percent, on a turnout of just over 50 percent, to endorse the creation of the Welsh assembly, that result was accepted by both sides, and the popular legitimacy of that institution has never seriously been questioned,” May will say.

Awks: Except, of course, it has — by Theresa May and the Conservative Party. As history student Joe Oliver pointed out in this Twitter thread last night, the Tories argued vehemently against the creation of the assembly following the Welsh referendum. And among the hundreds of Tory MPs voting against the Government Of Wales Bill in 1997 was, erm, the newly elected member for Maidenhead, Theresa May. Indeed, as the New Statesman’s Stephen Bush points out, as late as 2005 the Tories were promising a second referendum — a People’s Vote, if you will — on whether to scrap the Welsh assembly. Which is all a bit awkward for No. 10.

[tweet]1084716701307097090[/tweet]
Those Tories are enemies of democracy.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I shall be keeping my powder dry...for now, let’s just see if democracy is upheld.
On our way.
If it all goes wrong for you, I'd suggest going out in to your garden and setting fire to your shed. That way you will have achieved your democratic right to be worse off but without ruining it for everyone else.

#goingtostay

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am not interested in you “implementing” a re-run, do it again because we didn’t like the first result vote before the original vote can be finalised and implemented after due process. It is not “more democracy” to ignore a decision and overturn it before it can be finalised and concluded.
You wouldn’t contemplate demanding an election was re-done again before a clear winner had the chance to conclude matters, form a government and take up residence in No.10………or maybe you have reached such rock bottom you now would.
If you want another go campaign to rejoin after the democratic vote has been honoured and we have left the EU. Your democratic deficit is astounding and you cant even recognise it.

Arron Banks donation having an unknown source that seems to be illegal.
Him using his Insurance firms customer database and staff to aid the campaign.
Collusion between different campaign groups to breach spending limits.
Breaching of spending limits.
Russian bots and probable funding via Arron Banks.
The £350 million lie.
The Turkey lie.
The Breaking Point poster.
The illegal harvesting and use of Data from Facebook.
No one is threatening our place in the single market lie.
Exact same benefits out as in lie.
They need us more than we need them lie.
Easiest deal in history lie.
etc. etc.

You want to uphold a narrow result obtained on the back of lies, criminality and Foreign state influence, and that is past it's use by date because the majority people still alive, voted the other way.
Yet I am an enemy of democracy for wanting to have a democratic vote.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So here we are 2.5 years after the vote and where have we got to ?

1. A negotiated deal where (it seems surprisingly to some), the EU won't let us have any of their cherries (a deal that would have been much the same had it been negotiated by Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Jeremy Corbyn, Tony Blair coming back from retirement or Maggie Thatcher coming back from beyond).

2. A 'no deal' that all but the most elemental have now realised is completely unachievable (and wouldn't have been even if we had started preparing 2.5 years ago).

3. Something else.

If only someone could have seen this coming :rolleyes:
Actually its fine as you don't cave into these idiots in Brussels and you leave with no deal....no ifs and no buts they must deliver!!
Bored of these politicians bum licking the EU and trying to derail benefit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Actually its fine as you don't cave into these idiots in Brussels and you leave with no deal....no ifs and no buts they must deliver!!

Thank you for confirming point 2 on my post :thumbsup:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

What benefit is that?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not gonna get my hopes up but Brexit looking less and less likely as the days pass.

We elect leaders to act in our best interests. What better demonstration of true democracy than our elected leaders reversing Brexit , thus acting in our best interests.

This will be hard for some to swallow. But fear not. The predicted thug uprising and violence on our streets will be a laughable flash in the pan.

We could be on our way folks, on our way back!!

A democracy is supposed to be representitive, where elected officials carry out their manifesto pledges, the basis on which they were elected.

I think you are confusing politicians with parents.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A democracy is supposed to be representitive, where elected officials carry out their manifesto pledges, the basis on which they were elected.

Of course, it is INCREDIBLY common for elected officials not to carry out all of their manifesto pledges - especially when it becomes clear that in trying to find a workable solution it is found to be impossible, and we accept that as a part of politics.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You seem to have missed my question from a couple of days ago, so i'll ask again relating to you stating that any disruption from no deal would be short term.

So you think the challenges of 'no deal' would be short term and that anything else is a continuation of 'project fear'.

I'm quite interested, therefor in how long you think we would need to operate under WTO default tariffs, before we would be able to get new schedules and quotas agreed by the other members of WTO. And also why Russia, US, New Zealand etc would change their current stance on the submissions we have already made.

And also, how we would process all imports and manage the recording and collection of those tariffs at all ports and airports in the interim period. (How long it would take to design, build and test the IT systems, recruit and train the staff, and build lorry parks for any resultant delays etc).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Got to admire May's front for blatantly lying about the Welsh referendum in her speech today, she is shameless

Trump does it regularly but I'd never thought I'd see a British politician so blatantly lie about how they voted, when it's a matter of public record. It's quite bizarre.

What's even stranger is that the approach that was taken following the Welsh devolution vote - where the government worked with those who voted no as well as yes - is the exact opposite of the approach that this government has taken to Brexit. Why on earth did May bring that up?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Our leaders were elected. Democracy in action. Or only when it suits you?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here