Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Does set a bit of a precedent, this.

Some people have vapes that are practically the size of flasks (citation ),

Surely these need banning too? I'm no terrorist, but it seems like it would be pretty easy to put some kind of explosive in one of these electronic devices...

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
I assume that all stewards (importantly including the contract stewards that come from outside Sussex) will also be barred from bringing flasks to the Amex? Do any of the contract stewards undergo any BHAFC security risk assessment? I ask because they're all 'strangers', whereas 90% of the crowd are STHs, who surely are deserving of some modicum of trust.

Any aspiring terrorist would more likely gain access via a contract stewarding job, rather than obtaining a match ticket via a STH.

In essence, any security risk is likely to come from outside the STH fanbase.

FFA Campaign 2018 (Flasks For All).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I assume that all stewards (importantly including the contract stewards that come from outside Sussex) will also be barred from bringing flasks to the Amex? Do any of the contract stewards undergo any BHAFC security risk assessment? I ask because they're all 'strangers', whereas 90% of the crowd are STHs, who surely are deserving of some modicum of trust.

Any aspiring terrorist would more likely gain access via a contract stewarding job, rather than obtaining a match ticket via a STH.

Those are valid points, worthy of a response from Mr Barber.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
In 20 years we have moved on from protesting about Stanley, Bellotti and Archer asset stripping our club to near extinction, to protesting about taking flasks into a shiny new stadium while watching Premier League Football. How times have changed.

Ok, this thread might be full of wind-ups, but if we want to protest properly like we did in the old days, why not take photos of flasks on A4 sheets of paper to the televised Spurs match at The Amex and sing the old Tom Hark favourite: we want our flasks, we want our flasks, we want our flasks, we want our flasks.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
rs_T1133-Frankie-Says-Relax.jpg

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

LOL
Flaskgate aside, you seem to be missing something.
You dont have to be able to take a flask into the stadium to cause carnage.You can walk from the station or the car park or a taxi with a flask bomb, walk up to the turnstile and detonate your flask bomb at the turnstile and cause the same carnage you could cause inside.
Banning flasks inside the ground will not change this.

At some point you just have to admit there is an element of risk to life during a terrorist war. Ban everything then they win. Dont want bombs inside flasks inside the stadium then check the contents at the entrance.......dont be dicks and ban flasks because you are too lazy to organise a system to check them before they get inside.

In 20 years we have moved on from protesting about Stanley, Bellotti and Archer asset stripping our club to near extinction, to protesting about taking flasks into a shiny new stadium while watching Premier League Football. How times have changed.

Ok, this thread might be full of wind-ups, but if we want to protest properly like we did in the old days, why not take photos of flasks on A4 sheets of paper to the televised Spurs match at The Amex and sing the old Tom Hark favourite: we want our flasks, we want our flasks, we want our flasks, we want our flasks.

Could be if we made a stand over a Flask gate issue early enough in the bad old days we might have averted Goldstonegate. #awarningfromhistory

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's a disaster. No nice cup of tea....

Can we take our own t-bag and just ask for hot water with a splash of milk?

I would love just a splash of milk, but we have those ridiculous little sachets of milk, which don't tear properly, squirt milk in every direction, when you try to open them with your teeth, and are made of plastic!
It is almost impossible to take the top off the cup, open the milk, pour it in, and stir it standing up. I try to get to one of the shelves, but they are used up by men resting their pints, and elbows on them, looking at you in amazement, when you ask if you can use a three square inch of space.

None of this can be achieved at half time, so I limit my drink to a Bovril before the game, and usually have a drink after the game, of something alcoholic. Tea is a last resort.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would love just a splash of milk, but we have those ridiculous little sachets of milk, which don't tear properly, squirt milk in every direction, when you try to open them with your teeth, and are made of plastic!
It is almost impossible to take the top off the cup, open the milk, pour it in, and stir it standing up. I try to get to one of the shelves, but they are used up by men resting their pints, and elbows on them, looking at you in amazement, when you ask if you can use a three square inch of space.

None of this can be achieved at half time, so I limit my drink to a Bovril before the game, and usually have a drink after the game, of something alcoholic. Tea is a last resort.

They use a number of tables exclusively for milk and sugar etc, at half time, in 1901 but I’ve yet to find one that doesn’t wobble in 7 years. Petty I know but how hard can it be to have non wobbly tables when you see how much has been spent on the stadium :smile:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I know you're joking but my preference would be for a small number of people to accept a small inconvenience in the name of security for everyone and let this absolute abortion of a thread slide down to page 6.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I know you're joking but my preference would be for a small number of people to accept a small inconvenience in the name of security for everyone and let this absolute abortion of a thread slide down to page 6.

Out of interest, why do you think this only bothers a small number of people?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Out of interest, why do you think this only bothers a small number of people?

Because no one I know takes a flask to the football and I've never seen even one used in my bit of the WSU. Because if you can't go two hours without a lukewarm drink you made at home you may have a problem. Because everyone I've talked to about it couldn't give a fudge and would have preferred to focus on beating Man U and the third anniversary of Shoreham this week. Because this thread is about ten people complaining and everyone else taking the mickey......

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Because no one I know takes a flask to the football and I've never seen even one used in my bit of the WSU. Because if you can't go two hours without a lukewarm drink you made at home you may have a problem. Because everyone I've talked to about it couldn't give a fudge and would have preferred to focus on beating Man U and the third anniversary of Shoreham this week. Because this thread is about ten people complaining and everyone else taking the mickey......

Yes, but apart from that, what's the problem?

:)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

One thread from hundreds this week. It's a mixture of comment, complaint and mickey taking etc. Some of the most strident complaints are from those unaffected who don't like that an issue that doesn't concern them, concerns others. There are many more than ten people on this thread who have voiced disapproval at the decision. I see loads of flasks at the Amex in the family stand. Although he demographic is different in the West Upper, I am surprised you've never noticed anyone with a flask. I have an elderly friend up there and although i haven't spoken to him for months, he has genuinely told me how much he loves his tea on the train and at the ground. He won't be the only one.

As for the events of the week. There was more than one Shoreham thread, I certainly paid my respects and remembered and a thread on flasks didn't stop me from feeling deeply sad fro those that lost their lives in that awful event. As for the United game, NSC was covered in threads about that as was twitter, news channels, sky, bbc, we all had our fill and again to suggest one thread over-rode that is specious.

My personal feeling is to support the club if they have a genuine reason to believe there is a security risk. It would be good to be let know a little of the perceived risk as a courtesy rather than the terse response the club has so far made adn then you'll get your wish and this thread will die.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

sorry mate but i think youre talking bollox there , flasks at football are part of the fabric of the game that is slowly being torn away and turning it into the sanitised commercefest that we see a lot of the time , i hope im a long way away from taking a flask to football , but think of the annoying twot in the old days with a radio constantly shouting out scores , the programme that wasnt one big advert for the club megastore , the truly sh1t but much more "affordable" catering ,young kids being passed down to the front of the terraces ( that last bit is utter bollocks , ive never ever seen that :lolol:) and youll realise , i hope , that youre speaking out of turn.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Funny I've experienced quite the opposite. I know of five flasks that come out in the space of a dozen seats at half-time.

Given that a lot of people turn up some time before kick off and also travel, I would suggest it is a considerably longer than two hours, for example we arrive when the gates open, so including travel it's actually nearer five or six. (Yes, we could purchase tea/coffee but it's awful).

I do agree that it shouldn't detract from the Shoreham Airport disaster, personally I don't think it has to any great extent.

Man Utd was a great win and a great performance, but it was one game, so actually I'm not sure why it would warrant continued discussion in any case.

Anyway, what's done is done, as per earlier in the thread, I'm more p!ssed off about sweets being banned in 1901 areas......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here