Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you rather be in our position or Stains?

Would you rather be in our position or Southampton's?

• Us - a point or two will be fine

Votes: 216 97.3%
  • Them - their remaining fixtures are much easier

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
I’ve not read anything apart from the OP

I’d much rather us ( saints, stains, scummers etc. ) be in your position.

Yes, your run in is a nightmare, but we’re shit 2 or 3 winnable games? Lucky to get 1 in my opinion.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve not read anything apart from the OP

I’d much rather us ( saints, stains, scummers etc. ) be in your position.

Yes, your run in is a nightmare, but we’re shit 2 or 3 winnable games? Lucky to get 1 in my opinion.

How did you get in this mess? A couple of months ago on Sky I saw media-luvvies Spuds turn up at St.Mary's. After an even first half, Bertrand, Ward-Prowse, Lemina, Hoedt, Romeu took a full strength Spuds apart after the break.

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
How did you get in this mess? A couple of months ago on Sky I saw media-luvvies Spuds turn up at St.Mary's. After an even first half, Bertrand, Ward-Prowse, Lemina, Hoedt, Romeu took a full strength Spuds apart after the break.

So many reasons.

Selling our best players year after year, would break us eventually.
Poor manager choices/style of football.
Van Dijk should of been sold in the summer imo. Bad atmosphere around the club with him being a pain apparently.
Poor transfer windows. 20m on a striker who’s bloody useless.

We have good players, but not a good team, no togetherness like we use to have.

The list could go on...

Good luck for the rest of the season, honestly you’ve done well this year. I wrote you off before the season started.
Put you finishing botttom with us in 9th.... funny old game.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So many reasons.

Van Dijk should of been sold in the summer imo. Bad atmosphere around the club with him being a pain apparently.

The list could go on...

Good luck for the rest of the season, honestly you’ve done well this year. I wrote you off before the season started.

I had you finishing about 8th (ish) with Leicester and Watford. I, with many, was concerned about us, due to the failure to buy strikers debacle. I didn't count on Stoke, WBA, Watford etc not being as good as PL hype would have us believe, and CH working wonders with what he had.

Agree about VVD. IMO your Board kept him because SFC fans (there's one who posts here), said there would've been a fans revolt if VVD was allowed to get his own way. Instead, isn't it better to grab the huge cash early in a window, leaving loads of time to invest it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So many reasons.

The list could go on...

Were you one of the ones calling for Claude Puel to be binned, due to the boring football ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm having a bout of nerves, and spent most of yesterday afternoon examining the league table, remaining fixtures, Southampton message boards, etc. Obviously our run-in is a nightmare, and whilst we're 7 points ahead of Southampton, they seem to have two or three very winnable games. Plus, we could easily be mullered by Spurs/Man Utd/ManCity/Liverpool - resulting in a much worse goal difference.

Don't be daft.

Yer starting to sound like a Norwich City fan.

That's what they said when they had a difficult run in and were 5 points clear of the bottom 3 with 5 games to go.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Out of curiosity which are the 2 or 3 winnable games?

Btw That poll vote, WOW.

Heartened by the poll vote - everyone else's optimism has (nearly) convinced me I'm being ridiculously negative. But from my perspective, I think Southampton have got a reasonable chance of victories in the following fixtures:

Leicester (A) - They are on the beach; Puel is experimenting with different formations; They played averagely against us, and fairly crap against Newcastle.
Everton (A) - Another team with nothing to play for.
Swansea (A) - Fellow relegation fodder. On Saturday Swansea were the first team NOT to beat West Brom since us!

Logically they are highly unlikely to win all three, but one win, two draws, and a flukey victory in one of their other three games.....

Anyway, as I said - glad everyone else is so positive. PS: the one person who voted to be in Southampton's position was NOT me :)

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
Were you one of the ones calling for Claude Puel to be binned, due to the boring football ?

Yep. It was truly awful.
We were lucky last season, the premier league as a whole was pretty poor. Same thing seems to be happening at Leicester if Twitter is anything to go by.

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
I had you finishing about 8th (ish) with Leicester and Watford. I, with many, was concerned about us, due to the failure to buy strikers debacle. I didn't count on Stoke, WBA, Watford etc not being as good as PL hype would have us believe, and CH working wonders with what he had.

Agree about VVD. IMO your Board kept him because SFC fans (there's one who posts here), said there would've been a fans revolt if VVD was allowed to get his own way. Instead, isn't it better to grab the huge cash early in a window, leaving loads of time to invest it.

I do get why we kept him, and the fans would of lost their shit if he had left for Liverpool in the summer.
After how they acted (Liverpool, unsure how public or in the news it was) with their tapping up, there’s no way we could have sold him.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, because we should have taken the money and ran.

We’re now in this position, and it’s easy enough to blame the board, managers, and the tea lady, but the players have to take some of the blame as well. A lot of times this season the players haven’t looked interested or up for the fight.

After how we played at arsenal, a small part of me believes we can get the results where we need to.
If we don’t though... oh well. As I’m sure you’re all aware, the premier league is a bit shit if you’re not a big boy.

Guess this is another season where we can’t keep up with you.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I do get why we kept him, and the fans would of lost their shit if he had left for Liverpool in the summer.
After how they acted (Liverpool, unsure how public or in the news it was) with their tapping up, there’s no way we could have sold him.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, because we should have taken the money and ran.

We’re now in this position, and it’s easy enough to blame the board, managers, and the tea lady, but the players have to take some of the blame as well. A lot of times this season the players haven’t looked interested or up for the fight.

After how we played at arsenal, a small part of me believes we can get the results where we need to.
If we don’t though... oh well. As I’m sure you’re all aware, the premier league is a bit shit if you’re not a big boy.

Guess this is another season where we can’t keep up with you.

That would be interesting to hear. It's fairly common knowledge there's abit of that going on with one of our youngsters at the moment from the same club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The idea of Saints' easier run-in (based on us having to play 4 of the elite) ignores that they also have 2 of them left.

If we assume that we automatically get zero points from our four games, then it should logically follow to assume zero points from Saints' two games. (pretending that all those games are out of the way first) this leaves the respective sides as follows:

Albion on 35 points with 2 games to play
Saints on 28 points with 4 games to play

If you follow the same process for all the bottom 9 sides:

Watford 37 (4)
Albion 35 (2)
WHU 35 (3)
Swans 32 (4)
Hudds 32 (2)
CPFC 31 (5)
Saints 28 (4)
Stoke 27 (4)
WBA 21 (2)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The idea of Saints' easier run-in (based on us having to play 4 of the elite) ignores that they also have 2 of them left.

If we assume that we automatically get zero points from our four games, then it should logically follow to assume zero points from Saints' two games. (pretending that all those games are out of the way first) this leaves the respective sides as follows:

Albion on 35 points with 2 games to play
Saints on 28 points with 4 games to play

If you follow the same process for all the bottom 9 sides:

Watford 37 (4)
Albion 35 (2)
WHU 35 (3)
Swans 32 (4)
Hudds 32 (2)
CPFC 31 (5)
Saints 28 (4)
Stoke 27 (4)
WBA 21 (2)

Nice analysis, which illustrates very clearly why Huddersfield are still deep in the shit...

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We really have 6 cup finals now and hopefully can put up a decent performance or two to get some points. As well as that surely one of our opponents is going to have an off day.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Us. We are outside the relegation zone by seven and have more points than games played.

Southampton's home games are v Chelsea, Citeh and a 'derby' with Bournemouth. Away at Everton, Swansea, Leicester. A league table on home form alone would have us eighth v Soton's nineteenth with an eleven point turn in our favour.

No way would I swap.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here