Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please convince me that I have not wasted almost £500 on an iPad Air

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It's not constantly searching for software update and, even if it were, it would not cause things to crash. The iPhones and iPads we have do auto updates because it's very convenient. Every night they silently just get on with updating themselves and if I didn't know they were doing it, I'd not know they were doing it.

On the subject of updates, I tried to install the Amex app on my iphone but it won't install unless I have the latest OS.
I have always rejected it having seen on others as I don't like the cartoon / bubble type graphics that's obviously aimed at the youngest of users but know I will have to succumb eventually.

Is there a way once doing having installed being a able to have a "classic" view?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
It's not constantly searching for software update and, even if it were, it would not cause things to crash. The iPhones and iPads we have do auto updates because it's very convenient. Every night they silently just get on with updating themselves and if I didn't know they were doing it, I'd not know they were doing it.

It is, regularly. And it cause streaming to crash (Netflix etc). Just happened again so I flicked flight mode on then off to kick it back to working then hopped back here for help. I would say it happens every 30-40 minutes or so.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It is, regularly. And it cause streaming to crash (Netflix etc). Just happened again so I flicked flight mode on then off to kick it back to working then hopped back here for help. I would say it happens every 30-40 minutes or so.

What is it doing and how do you know?

That stuff happens completely in the background, or should be, and you'd not even be aware.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Screen freezes with the whirlybird circle in the middle, if I go to settings/general/ software update is says 'searching for updates'. If I then flick on flight mode and turn it off again, nip back to the software update screen the searching message changes to 'your software is up to date' and then things work again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Screen freezes with the whirlybird circle in the middle, if I go to settings/general/ software update is says 'searching for updates'. If I then flick on flight mode and turn it off again, nip back to the software update screen the searching message changes to 'your software is up to date' and then things work again.

Right, that's not app updates, as you suggested but an iOS update.

Go into Settings>General>Software Update yourself manually. There hasn't been an iOS update for a while, but if your device is relatively new, there may be an update due from when you took it out the box. Install the update is there is one. It will tell you "Your software is up to date" if there isn't one.

If it's still happening, book Genius Bar appointment and take it in. It shouldn't do what you're describing and they'll either fix it or give you another one.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

That's where you 're going wrong, calling it the 'whirlybird circle' whereas all apple cognosvincenti know it's technically a 'spinning rainbow'

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
There is no update needed. I thought it was the machine that was rubbish. Looks like I was right. However i am worried that I will not be able to replicate the problem in the store as, as I said, it occurs on average ever 40 mins or so. Sometimes it is fine for an evening. What then? Stuck with a £500 piece of junk. Sorry but this makes me angry. I thought these things were meant to be reliable.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is no update needed. I thought it was the machine that was rubbish. Looks like I was right. However i am worried that I will not be able to replicate the problem in the store as, as I said, it occurs on average ever 40 mins or so. Sometimes it is fine for an evening. What then? Stuck with a £500 piece of junk. Sorry but this makes me angry. I thought these things were meant to be reliable.

I've had several iPads since the very day they've come out, not to mention many iPod Touches and iPhones in the family, and I've never experienced what you are describing so you might just be unlucky.

If I were you, I'd do an iCloud backup of the device (you might be doing this anyway) and then reset it to defaults. Start it up again and restore your iCloud backup and see if it carries on.

If it isn't sorted, take it back. They're unlikely to fob you off but if they do, just state how unhappy you are, and how disappointed you are with your first Apple purchase. They will swap it out for you.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've had several iPads since the very day they've come out, not to mention many iPod Touches and iPhones in the family, and I've never experienced what you are describing so you might just be unlucky.

If I were you, I'd do an iCloud backup of the device (you might be doing this anyway) and then reset it to defaults. Start it up again and restore your iCloud backup and see if it carries on.

If it isn't sorted, take it back. They're unlikely to fob you off but if they do, just state how unhappy you are, and how disappointed you are with your first Apple purchase. They will swap it out for you.

Lol. The cloud bit means nothing to me so I'm not going to go there! Might just take the thing into store.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I know the turn it off and on again thing was mentioned in jest earlier, but to do a hard reset (equivalent to pulling the plug out of your computer) hold down both the home and lock button for around 10 seconds, let go of the home button but keep holding the lock button until you see the apple logo. This may help

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Buying Apple products.

Wasting £500.

Sounds about right, I'm sorry you bought into the hype buddy, lesson learnt! :wrong:

Edit: You could easily sell a product like that for around £400-450 quid and invest in another tablet that you're happier with at a cut of the price.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

On the subject of updates, I tried to install the Amex app on my iphone but it won't install unless I have the latest OS.
I have always rejected it having seen on others as I don't like the cartoon / bubble type graphics that's obviously aimed at the youngest of users but know I will have to succumb eventually.

Is there a way once doing having installed being a able to have a "classic" view?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not sure of the question as you seem to be saying you can't install it, but then asking about what to do if you do install it.

I have it installed and have just checked it. It doesn't seen cartoony at all to me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure of the question as you seem to be saying you can't install it, but then asking about what to do if you do install it.

I have it installed and have just checked it. It doesn't seen cartoony at all to me.

I believe Programme_Seller is talking about the operating system (he hasn't installed 'The Albion' because it requires a later OS than what he has). He hasn't updated to iOS7 because it looks cartoonish, and wants to know if there is a setting to view iOS7 so that it looks like iOS6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here