Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle : next 9 fixtures.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Firstly, blame my English teacher who drilled into us about not using the same phrase over and over. 'The bottom 17' was just me using different language to say 'teams outside the top 7' because I didn't want to use it three times in such close proximity to each other.

Secondly, it's not about statistics, it's about attitudes. This idea from the OP that after Newcastle the only team that can trouble us is possibly Leeds is the problem. Especially as it is simply because they are the only team in the top 7 we will be playing after Tuesday. That people are trying to question how meaningful, statistically speaking, half our losses is, or the semantics of 'outside top 7' v 'bottom 17' instead of questioning the arrogance of assuming no trouble against teams because they fall below an arbitrary position in the table is mind boggling to me.

Agreed, but maybe best to use the qualitative rather than statisitically justify. Of course, relegation threatened teams might pull out a big one, and some may find form changes (a la Cardiff) so it is indeed arrogant to assume they will turn up with 3 points gift wrapped for us. Having said that, in the last two seasons we have particularly good at seeing off lower teams as posted just now. I would put only the defeat at Rotherham last season in the class of 'losing to weak team', an amazing stat in a season and three quarters.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
If only the game was played on paper.

Any struggling teams will make it difficult. See Bristol City yesterday.

I think Rotherham will be tricky for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather be playing the sides at the bottom though simply because they give up chances regularly and don't score enough hence why they are where they are

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd rather be playing the sides at the bottom though simply because they give up chances regularly and don't score enough hence why they are where they are

Personally I prefer the mid-table teams who have nothing to lose.

The bottom teams will just pack their defence and spoil, just to get a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But see my post #21. It hinges on being able to control whether you worry or not. And that is not controllable - unless you know of some drug that will do the trick.
I understand your point, but I think you can control what you worry about. That's why Hughton tries to remain calm all the time and talk about one game at a time etc, to encourage the players to just concentrate on what they can do and not worry about others. You're suggesting that there's nothing you can do to stop worrying, so you may as well just accept it and worry.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Half of our losses this season have been against teams outside the top 7 of the championship.
So half against a group of 17 teams, half against a group of 6. Good news that we only have one more game against the top sides then.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I understand your point, but I think you can control what you worry about. That's why Hughton tries to remain calm all the time and talk about one game at a time etc, to encourage the players to just concentrate on what they can do and not worry about others. You're suggesting that there's nothing you can do to stop worrying, so you may as well just accept it and worry.

Best quote of 2017 to date ---------- Brilliant !

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I read an article / interview a couple of weeks ago on AK. He said that something along the lines of being at home watching tv and then he'd suddenly start thinking about the league table. Even as a pro it must be very difficult to simply blank out the opposition

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
How boring would it be if we were mid table with only an outside chance of play offs or relegation ...what we have is exciting possibilities

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
6 of their next 9 games are again the other sides in the top 7.

So, it could mean that after they've played Leeds on 15th April we have a nice gap (assuming we don't lose on Tue), or they could be still right in there with an OK end of season set of games.

For us, after Tue, all we have is Leeds left to play from the top 7.

Word with yourself daft lad? One game at a time. Obviously :rolleyes:

larus

Wow, there really are some miserable/self-righteous to**ers on here a times.

I just pointed out the difficulty of their upcoming fixtures, yet those who for some reason seem to think they are coaching the team on psychology are saying crap like "one game at a time lad" or "don' get ahead of yourself".

Christ, if you don't look at the table, fixtures and think things then, IMO, give up watching the game and start doing something less stressful.

However, I've noticed than no-one has said the same regarding [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's post regarding try average points gained per team for the remaining fixtures, which is a similar point to what I was making, but looking at different stats.

I think some need to remove heads from orrifices IMHO.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Wow, there really are some miserable/self-righteous to**ers on here a times.

I just pointed out the difficulty of their upcoming fixtures, yet those who for some reason seem to think they are coaching the team on psychology are saying crap like "one game at a time lad" or "don' get ahead of yourself".

Christ, if you don't look at the table, fixtures and think things then, IMO, give up watching the game and start doing something less stressful.

However, I've noticed than no-one has said the same regarding [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's post regarding try average points gained per team for the remaining fixtures, which is a similar point to what I was making, but looking at different stats.

I think some need to remove heads from orrifices IMHO.
Agreed. Projecting and speculating future results is part of the joy of following a team.

Jan 22, 2017
We need to reverse the 2-0 scoreline when we played them on Duffy's first game, which was shakey, and Baldock being sent off on 54. We are far better set up for this game than when we played them last so it's a good test in a top fixture.

We will be a different prospect too, we made a poor start to the season and went into that with 6 points from 4 games. We also have a very good away record and even when we don't impress performance wise we grind the results out - the Wolves game being prime example. Think it'll be a weird game where you'll be on the front foot and we will try and nick a goal on the break. If you score first it'll be game over.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here