Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A glass of champagne or a glass of Sussex? 'Sussex' is given special protection.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
[tweet]809036535093936128[/tweet]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One of the things about buying wine on holiday.....before the drinks package came into,existence, we would not look at a bottle of wine under $30 and on a couple of special occasions, we spent $60 and $80 on fabulous wines....yet when we get home we wouldn't dream of spending anything over £15 for a bottle!

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Where can we buy this? I wouldn't mind trying the local wine. Are they in any supermarkets?

Good quality local offices like Buttlers, Quaff (?) on Portland road and that new place at seven dials tend to have a wider range of local wines. There's a place in Goring that's very good as well - forget the name.
Otherwise Waitrose, the big M&S at Shoreham does some including Marksman & South Ridge from Ridgeview or go to the wineries themselves they normally have a small part-time retail space. If you're lucky they may even let you taste some or pay a few quid for a tour. Court Garden in Ditchling is a nice place that does tours and tasting for about a tenner...

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I tried Bolney Pinot Noir about 10 years ago and thought it was awful.

I've had it a few times this year and the quality is absolutely superb. Easily the best English red I've tasted, and one of the best Pinot Noirs I've tasted in years, actually. From anywhere.

Thanks for the recommendation. Had the Bolney Pinot Noir last night as we celebrated our 52nd Wedding Anniversary. It was superb. Easily beat French & German Pinot Noir and not as high in alcohol as New World ones which always seem to sugary for my taste.Thank you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have over 30 different English sparklers in the rack at the moment (plus one champagne)
Blimey, that's a lot of fizz. Is the sparkling stuff your thing, or have you a ton of red and white too?

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Blimey, that's a lot of fizz. Is the sparkling stuff your thing, or have you a ton of red and white too?

Red's my thing, mainly Rioja and new world Pinot (along with decent beer) but Mrs KK loves even the idea of fizz and I'm not averse to a drop. Also Sussex / English red wine is not great and only a few of the still Whites pass muster (check out Albourne Bacchus and white Pinot noir), so we developed a bit of a thing in supporting local(ish) wineries and trying as many as possible to see how they differ and which we like most. It's a bit of an obsession tbf, but not one that cause me any pain or angst! :)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Has anyone mentioned Perry yet, apparently it's making a comeback and some nice ones are being produced from various places around the country, saw a programme recently about a Somerset producer, everyone seemed to like it.

Yoda

English & European
Has anyone mentioned Perry yet, apparently it's making a comeback and some nice ones are being produced from various places around the country, saw a programme recently about a Somerset producer, everyone seemed to like it.

At least twice a year I used to go to Middle Farm and get at least 4 pints of Broadoak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here