Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Successful resolution to talks between GTR (Southern Rail) and ASLEF
Following two weeks of intensive talks, the parties have now reached an agreement about the long-running dispute between ASLEF and GTR Southern. This resolves the current dispute, subject to securing the support of ASLEF members, and no further industrial action is planned.
The negotiations have been jointly chaired by Frances O’Grady, the TUC General Secretary, and Andy Meadows, HR Director of Abellio UK.
Frances and Andy said:
“The negotiators from both sides have worked hard and co-operatively to achieve this breakthrough. We have particularly appreciated the positive leadership shown by Nick Brown and Mick Whelan. This long-running dispute has clearly been extraordinarily difficult for both staff and passengers, and we are glad that the parties have reached agreement on a way forward.”
Frances O’Grady added:
“I welcome the decision of ASLEF to consult its members on the new offer that has now been made by GTR Southern. The TUC is pleased that we were able to play a part in finding a positive way forward."
Mick Whelan, General Secretary of ASLEF, said:
“I am pleased that we have finally been able to reach an agreement with the company which reflects the concerns of train drivers. I believe this deal can deliver a safer and appropriately staffed railway for passengers on Southern rail and I will be recommending it to ASLEF members.”
Nick Brown, GTR’s Chief Operating Officer, said:
“Our aim has always been to reach agreement with the unions on our proposals and we're delighted to have secured a deal today with ASLEF to end their dispute. It's good news for passengers, the regional economy and staff. After the misery and disruption to people's work and family lives, we are pleased we can start to move forward and deliver a better railway for the travelling public.”

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Following two weeks of intensive talks, the parties have now reached an agreement about the long-running dispute between ASLEF and GTR Southern. This resolves the current dispute, subject to securing the support of ASLEF members, and no further industrial action is planned.
The negotiations have been jointly chaired by Frances O’Grady, the TUC General Secretary, and Andy Meadows, HR Director of Abellio UK.
Frances and Andy said:
“The negotiators from both sides have worked hard and co-operatively to achieve this breakthrough. We have particularly appreciated the positive leadership shown by Nick Brown and Mick Whelan. This long-running dispute has clearly been extraordinarily difficult for both staff and passengers, and we are glad that the parties have reached agreement on a way forward.”
Frances O’Grady added:
“I welcome the decision of ASLEF to consult its members on the new offer that has now been made by GTR Southern. The TUC is pleased that we were able to play a part in finding a positive way forward."
“I am pleased that we have finally been able to reach an agreement with the company which reflects the concerns of train drivers. I believe this deal can deliver a safer and appropriately staffed railway for passengers on Southern rail and I will be recommending it to ASLEF members.”
“Our aim has always been to reach agreement with the unions on our proposals and we're delighted to have secured a deal today with ASLEF to end their dispute. It's good news for passengers, the regional economy and staff. After the misery and disruption to people's work and family lives, we are pleased we can start to move forward and deliver a better railway for the travelling public.”

Great news: we can now return to the world class level of service enjoyed before the strike!

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Perfect, I just got a new job in London, starts in about 3-4 weeks ??? Although from memory it was crap the last time I worked in London, well at least once a week anyway. Am I going to be pleasantly surprised ?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Frances and Andy said:
Frances O’Grady added:

That's great news if agreed. Please ignore my ignorance but does this cover both the guard and train drivers disputes

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
That's great news if agreed. Please ignore my ignorance but does this cover both the guard and train drivers disputes

Not too sure at this stage. Don't know what the deal is and whether we will vote in favour of it or not. Depends if the RMT like what has been agreed - I would hope that drivers would only vote in favour of a deal that works for the guards too.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Not too sure at this stage. Don't know what the deal is and whether we will vote in favour of it or not. Depends if the RMT like what has been agreed - I would hope that drivers would only vote in favour of a deal that works for the guards too.

If ASLEF and the TUC have stitched up the RMT then it will be the end of the TUC as far as trade unionists are concerned and they did say it will be put to a vote of the membership

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If ASLEF and the TUC have stitched up the RMT then it will be the end of the TUC as far as trade unionists are concerned and they did say it will be put to a vote of the membership

I really hope they haven't - I'm not hopeful but will wait and see. Bearing in mind the need to be pragmatic and realistic given where we are, I won't vote in favour of anything that stiches up the RMT.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I really hope they haven't - I'm not hopeful but will wait and see. Bearing in mind the need to be pragmatic and realistic given where we are, I won't vote in favour of anything that stiches up the RMT.

I've heard obs now safety critical and required for train to run

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Give it a few months and they'll find another reason to go on strike! Oh and btw knowing how unions operate it doesn't surprise me at all that there's talk of an inter union stitch up!! They only look after themselves remember!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
don't get your point, RMT haven't agreed to any deal at all yet, have they?

RMT were offered a deal, including safety trained responsibility for OBS (among other things). RMT didnt agree to the deal. Southern gave notice to all staff they were redundant and to reapply to the new OBS role. RMT advised members to take up the offer (otherwise they'd be without work). upshot is that the new role is as specified by Southern without the input of RMT, and less many of the offered terms. And Mick Cash knows this, so is rather disingenuous to say he is distressed, unless its from his members realising what a cockup it was.

if its true that ASLEF has secured a safety critical role for OBS, its a poorer reflection on the RMT as a union, though helps the staff and commuters.

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
RMT Press Office:

General Secretary Mick Cash said:

“RMT was not party to the talks brokered by the TUC with GTR. As a result of that we have no details whatsoever on any deal that has been agreed by the parties who were granted a seat at the table.

“Consequently, we have no information on what impact any deal that may have been reached will have on nearly 500 guards who have been involved in an industrial dispute over safety for the best part of a year. That is an appalling way for that group of workers to be treated.

“RMT’s dispute remains on. The union is aware of the offer of further talks from the company. Once we have the full details of the deal that has been struck today, and an assurance that the terms of reference of those talks will focus on the retention of a second safety-critical member of staff on Southern services, we can agree an immediate date for negotiations to commence.”

Ends

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here