Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another signing

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My point is that it doesnt show much confidence in Sanchez and Vose both being young.
More likely it is to allow one of Sanchez or Vose to go out on loan and gain some valuable experience of 'grown up' football. Would make perfect sense, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them heading out for half a season.

........and a position we didn't appear to need to improve on during this window.
Mind you, to most of us we didn't appear to need to improve on our first choice CB pairing in the last window either! I have faith in the recruitment team to know what they're doing!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I cant see Maenpaa sticking around. Two seasons on the bench is quite a lot for a good goalkeeper. I don't know how Walton is getting on but Luton are doing well in the top six with a good goal difference. He would have to become our number 2 next season if Maenpaa goes?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Wasn't there a rumour that Arsenal were watching Sanchez? Apologies if this was not the case and I have just started one.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wasn't there a rumour that Arsenal were watching Sanchez? Apologies if this was not the case and I have just started one.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Well one poster mentioned it so yes, a small rumour.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I cant see Maenpaa sticking around. Two seasons on the bench is quite a lot for a good goalkeeper. I don't know how Walton is getting on but Luton are doing well in the top six with a good goal difference. He would have to become our number 2 next season if Maenpaa goes?

He certainly won't be our number two if we are in the Premier League.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
i know his Dad,Paul,who in his own right was a decent Brighton Boys keeper and a top fella!

One of my lads played for Hove Park Colts with Billy Collins and Tom Cadman, Paul was the teams manager.
You are correct he is a top fella, never seen Paul play football but I'm sure he went on to play county league football.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Can't believe I've read this thread and then replied. I think BG has just sent me mad, absolutely mad. Oh God, oh God What's happening to me?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As has already been pointed out: Christian Walton is on a season-long loan at Luton Town. Bailey Vose is actually on loan too, at Concord Rangers, where he has played 7 matches since the end of November (it doesn't prevent him also appearing for the U-23s if required, as he was on the bench for them last night, but perhaps the club don't want to rely on him having to provide cover).

Robert Sanchez has been the regular U-23 goalkeeper this season and has impressed, so maybe a loan move is on the cards for him.

Second-year scholar George Hobbs has only played 5 matches for the U-18s this season, and not featured since October, and seems to be out of the picture. That leaves Tom McGill, a first-year scholar, as the regular U-18 goalkeeper.

George Bentley (an U-16) is now the regular cover on the bench for the U-18s and has already been the U-23 sub goalkeeper a couple of times. And U-15 Roco Rees was the sub goalkeeper for the U-18s ten days ago when both the U-23s and U-18s played on the same day.

Albion let two goalkeepers go in the summer (Harry Doherty and Josh Smith) who weren't replaced. They have given Billy Collings a contract until the end of the season. He is a local lad and I'm guessing his options were limited at Reading. He will provide cover for the U-23s for four months at a minimal cost and it will give Albion a chance to take a good look at him to assess him for a longer contract.

Seems like a win-win to me? :shrug:

Thank you that post has probably given many of us a great insight into the GK situation at the club that we werent aware of. I can now see the logic of signing him

maffff

Jan 13, 2017
I would assume so as we signed him from Reading the news said unless of course it was the old undisclosed fee which seems even more strange.

Wasn't making the bench for our u23s. Doubt we would stand in his way, move closer to home and a chance to get games if you want to send a keeper out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here