Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed camara van legality ?

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I had a strange encounter with a speed camera before Christmas. I commute down Ditchling Road in Brighton every morning, past the camera outside Varndean School. At that time in the morning the traffic is a nose-to-tail shuffle all the way down to the 5-Ways junction. On the morning in question, m'lud, I was trickling down about 10 yds behind a double-decker bus when the camera flashed. I can't have been doing more than 5mph at the time. I was rather hoping to get a photo from the Sussex Nazi Roads Partnership so I could post it on NSC, as it would have shown my Seagulls sticker to good effect. Sadly the photo never arrived but it does ask the question as to how reliable these cameras actually are, I thought they were supposed to be infallible?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Slow down Sheebo.. :lolol:

I wouldn't actually worry about it until the fine comes through, you never know someone may lose the photo.

14 days to wait,i think.....before a Notice of intended prosecution arrives..

And yes,the camera may have been film less or whatever..

Mrs' boss got done by same one few weeks ago so got a bad feeling - apparently for a while it had no film but has now. We were due to drive past the same camera to drop some friends back at the national later that night and as I was battered I was gonna try torch the ****er but I didn't in the end :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I had a strange encounter with a speed camera before Christmas. I commute down Ditchling Road in Brighton every morning, past the camera outside Varndean School. At that time in the morning the traffic is a nose-to-tail shuffle all the way down to the 5-Ways junction. On the morning in question, m'lud, I was trickling down about 10 yds behind a double-decker bus when the camera flashed. I can't have been doing more than 5mph at the time. I was rather hoping to get a photo from the Sussex Nazi Roads Partnership so I could post it on NSC, as it would have shown my Seagulls sticker to good effect. Sadly the photo never arrived but it does ask the question as to how reliable these cameras actually are, I thought they were supposed to be infallible?

Yes I was also behind a bus and that triggered the camera to go off and snap me - sorted - thanks I'll draft the letter now :thumbsup:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Mrs' boss got done by same one few weeks ago so got a bad feeling - apparently for a while it had no film but has now. We were due to drive past the same camera to drop some friends back at the national later that night and as I was battered I was gonna try torch the ****er but I didn't in the end :lol:

I doubt they need film now I would guess they are all digital and send pictures straight to a server.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I got flashed for speeding in my Mrs car, I didn't see the camera. She wasn't impressed when the fine came through :D
But I have been flashed and did see the camera and heard no more.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I doubt they need film now I would guess they are all digital and send pictures straight to a server.

That's what I thought but someone at the party I was at that night reckoned that one was a film one or something... Hence the torching idea (it was a joke, just to confirm :lol:)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I got flashed for speeding in my Mrs car, I didn't see the camera. She wasn't impressed when the fine came through :D
But I have been flashed and did see the camera and heard no more.

This seems a theme - I was also in Mrs car (mine not yours). Her first reaction when I rang her was 'oh it's my car and insurance I'll get points' :facepalm: (yes I am a named driver!)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That's what I thought but someone at the party I was at that night reckoned that one was a film one or something... Hence the torching idea (it was a joke, just to confirm :lol:)

Too late,we have passed your details to @Edna :jester:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This seems a theme - I was also in Mrs car (mine not yours). Her first reaction when I rang her was 'oh it's my car and insurance I'll get points' :facepalm: (yes I am a named driver!)

Mine said " have you got anything to tell me about when you used my car? " I'm thinking WTF have I done now :)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Could have been someone going the other way, I've seen them go off for that

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Mine said " have you got anything to tell me about when you used my car? " I'm thinking WTF have I done now :)

At least you didn't say 'it's the only time I've ever used a prositute and I swear it won't happen again' - could always have been worse :lol: ;)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

:lol: i thought,well i don;t know what i thought,but i can see her face now (at that time) her face now is priceless too-am telling her about this and she say's women are better as they never get caught (or in my missus case-she never speeds-EVER).....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Hmm, if you say so. I still maintain that there is too much emphasis placed on minor speeding infringements, whilst more serious offences go unnoticed, due to a lack of patrol cars on the roads.Don't think I am alone.

Isn't that a bit like saying that if there was a copper on every street corner 24 hours a day then there would be no assaults or burglaries?

There are limited resources available and speed cameras are deemed a cost effective way of helping to make the roads safer.

What would happen without them, would there be more patrol cars on the roads instead? - unlikely
Would people drive faster knowing that the chances of being caught are a lot less than they are now? - probably

I don't get this "they are only cash cows to make money" argument, they are to make it safer for all road users, it's like the people that use this reasoning believe that no one gets hurt or killed in a crash and that it is perfectly safe to drive faster than the limits which are there just as an annoyance to drivers

Whilst there is this attitude in this country, the need for speed cameras and alike will continue

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I recently got a PCN for accidentally driving in a bus lane in a town not local to me. The letter gave me a link to the county webpage and all the camera evidence was there for me to see in video form and stills. They had me bang to rights.

Luckily the appeal form was online too and so I filled that out. As it was a genuine mistake on my part, which I tried to make amends for by turning around, I got let off :)

I understand peoples frustration over speed cameras as revenue raisers, but speeding really does kill and on balance I think any speed camera/van is a good thing. And none of that is to say I'm Mr. Perfect that has never broken the speed limit, as we've all broken the limit at some point.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
At least you didn't say 'it's the only time I've ever used a prositute and I swear it won't happen again' - could always have been worse :lol: ;)
:rotlf:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Could have been someone going the other way, I've seen them go off for that

Funnily enough, I think that is what happened. I seem to remember a car suddenly appearing from behind the bus and shooting up the road in the opposite direction, but it still calls into question the fallibility of these cameras.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I recently got a PCN for accidentally driving in a bus lane in a town not local to me. The letter gave me a link to the county webpage and all the camera evidence was there for me to see in video form and stills. They had me bang to rights.

Luckily the appeal form was online too and so I filled that out. As it was a genuine mistake on my part, which I tried to make amends for by turning around, I got let off :)

I understand peoples frustration over speed cameras as revenue raisers, but speeding really does kill and on balance I think any speed camera/van is a good thing. And none of that is to say I'm Mr. Perfect that has never broken the speed limit, as we've all broken the limit at some point.

Agreed - People only have to google for the link between fatalities and speed to see how it plays a big part

Someone saying but I was only going a few miles an hour over the 30mph limit and therefore feels hard done by should consider that those areas are where you are more likely to encounter a pedestrian and that small difference in speed could be the difference between life and death in the event of a collision.

Cameras end to go in where there have been a number of crashes (& possibly fatalities) in the past rather than being put in areas that are likely to catch a motorist out, those moaning that they didn't see the camera until too late should also think that it could have been a kid running out in front of you and you wouldn't have had much of a chance to slow down if it was before hitting them

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here