Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Marvellous Melbourne Scenes! (Aussie No-Rules Football)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Astounding stuff at the MCG! :ohmy:

Only half-way through the 2nd Quarter and Collingwood are pummelling Richmond 51-9 for a place in the Grand Final :clap:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One has to admire the fitness levels required for that sport. There's an AWFUL lot of running around involved.

Certainly is, though, to be 100% accurate, there's an AWFUL lot of running around and beating the crap out of each other involved.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Am watching it now (33-78) with a glass of vino. Still trying to get to grips with AFL, hugely popular in Victoria but less so in the rest of Oz. Both teams have over 100,000 members but the MCG holds short of half of that total. Very athletic sport but far too many points (goals) to really create a single match winning moment that 'soccer' can create. Next weekend is the BIG one though, Grand Finals Weekend of many sports, we even get a public holiday for it. Still haven't adopted an AFL team yet, although North Melbourne come close as they play in a blue and white vertical striped kit, sadly it seems OK to just pick a team on a glory hunting basis, geographical proximity does not matter.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Am watching it now (33-78) with a glass of vino. Still trying to get to grips with AFL, hugely popular in Victoria but less so in the rest of Oz. Both teams have over 100,000 members but the MCG holds short of half of that total. Very athletic sport but far too many points (goals) to really create a single match winning moment that 'soccer' can create. Next weekend is the BIG one though, Grand Finals Weekend of many sports, we even get a public holiday for it. Still haven't adopted an AFL team yet, although North Melbourne come close as they play in a blue and white vertical striped kit, sadly it seems OK to just pick a team on a glory hunting basis, geographical proximity does not matter.

Must have been quite a buzz in Melbourne all week and will be CARNAGE tonight! :clap:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Must have been quite a buzz in Melbourne all week and will be CARNAGE tonight! :clap:

Banners, flags and car stickers everywhere, but it is every year as most teams are Melbourne based. My intended Seagulls car sticker will mean NOTHING over here. The city will be very busy tonight, but very rare for rivalry to spill over into anything else. Next weekend will hopefully signal the proper arrival of spring with 20C plus temps, BBQs everywhere, and sport and beer the only concerns :thumbsup:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I happened to inadvertently stumble across Melbourne playing a cup game a week or so ago and it was the first time I had seen Aussie Rules. I was completely transfixed at the tempo and energy of the match which was so exciting. My son has just arrived to live in Melbourne so it looks like they could become my team!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Banners, flags and car stickers everywhere, but it is every year as most teams are Melbourne based. My intended Seagulls car sticker will mean NOTHING over here. The city will be very busy tonight, but very rare for rivalry to spill over into anything else. Next weekend will hopefully signal the proper arrival of spring with 20C plus temps, BBQs everywhere, and sport and beer the only concerns :thumbsup:

Enough already, I'm insanely jealous. And that's without any mention of the Caulfield Cup or the Melbourne Cup. You LUCKY LUCKY bar steward! :wink:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I happened to inadvertently stumble across Melbourne playing a cup game a week or so ago and it was the first time I had seen Aussie Rules. I was completely transfixed at the tempo and energy of the match which was so exciting. My son has just arrived to live in Melbourne so it looks like they could become my team!

There is a Seagulls Downunder Facebook group that your son can join. If he has any queries or concerns please feel free to pm me. It can be quite daunting moving to the other side of the world!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
There is a Seagulls Downunder Facebook group that your son can join. If he has any queries or concerns please feel free to pm me. It can be quite daunting moving to the other side of the world!

His fiancée is Australian and comes from Perth but they decided to live in Melbourne as she has friends there. I will let him know about the Facebook group and maybe he can get involved. We are out for the wedding in November so will get a chance briefly to see Melbourne and Sydney before the Perth wedding so it’s good to know there are some Albion fans around.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

SA and WA are fanatical about it, rivals Victoria for popularity in passion and numbers (per head of pop.). Number one in Tasmania and NT as well.

Only two states that it's not the #1 football code is NSW And QLD.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

it is also biblical in WA ....to be fair collingwood beating richmond is like us beating liverpool in the fa cup semi final ......massive upset , great to see.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here