Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which one of our BIG Eredivisie signings took his chance last night?

Who impressed against Southampton?

• Both Locadia and Jahanbakhsh

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Just Locadia

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Just Jahanbakhsh

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Neither of them

Votes: 95 81.9%

• Total voters

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Everyone slagging off Ali J need to remember he is the type of player who needs to time to settle in and time to show what he can do. If you read anything on him when he went to the first Dutch club it took him like a year to be worthy of a first team place. When he went to AZ, it took him 6 months before he was a regular member of the first team, even then I think it was because their right winger got injured but he took his chance and he never looked back.

So for me, I'm going to be patient with how he plays.

As for Locadia I'm not sure whether he's going to fit into the team. I guess he is almost the Baldock replacement as needs to play in a 2. Maybe when we're chasing the game he'll come on along side Murray/And-one, not instead of them.

He was 19 when he first moved to Holland, 21 when he moved to AZ. Still young, how long he took to break through when he was still a kid and moving up the footballing ladder shouldn't be a consideration now as he's 25, approaching the prime of his career.

He should be able to show glimpses of what he is capable of even coming off the bench even if it takes some time for him to fully understand our system. I don't think we saw too much from him last night, he wasn't particularly poor but he wasn't particularly outstanding either at the moment he's very much on the bench for me and hasn't shown enough to start ahead of Knocky.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unless we change our approach play neither will be a success for us. Why should we expect them to adapt to our style of play as we bought them because of what they could do so if there are any changes it should be us to adapt not try to change them

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
The problem is that we have spent over 30m without getting even a backup for our 34 yr old striker

Locadia is a good back up imo.
Murray would have looked crap last night without anyone close to him.
Why we played Gross so deep rather than supporting Locadia baffles me. Never seen a striker so isolated.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Usually the reason for setting up with a more defensive formation than usual is to avoid defeat at all costs, or at least keep the score down. So why the hell did we do it at home against one of the weakest teams that will visit the Amex this season in a match we apparently wanted to lose anyway?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
The problem is that we have spent over 30m without getting even a backup for our 34 yr old striker

Locadia is a good back up imo.
Murray would have looked crap last night without anyone close to him.
Why we played Gross so deep rather than supporting Locadia baffles me. Never seen a striker so isolated.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Usually the reason for setting up with a more defensive formation than usual is to avoid defeat at all costs, or at least keep the score down. So why the hell did we do it at home against one of the weakest teams that will visit the Amex this season in a match we apparently wanted to lose anyway?

Without wishing to be obvious, we played the very definition of a makeshift back four so it makes sense to afford them a bit more protection, no? Besides, isn't it also best to do it in a game literally no-one gives a flying one about the result? I would imagine the game at home vs. Southampton to be set up very different'y.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unable to comment personally as not there last night but from what I've read shouldn't we be voting that Locadia is f****** brilliant, better than Murray and then sell him to Palace for a hefty return on investment?

That seems to be the Palace way to refer to shit players. Should call him Lociesta really.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Far too early to say though and a reserve team game should definitely have no place in hastening judgement.

So where exactly is judgement supposed to be formed if not in semi-competitive games such as these? It's a chance to shine and work your way up the pecking order. Sadly, not many other than the youngsters seem to have seized that chance in even the most modest way.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Without wishing to be obvious, we played the very definition of a makeshift back four so it makes sense to afford them a bit more protection, no? Besides, isn't it also best to do it in a game literally no-one gives a flying one about the result? I would imagine the game at home vs. Southampton to be set up very differently.

I would b***** well hope so!

However, the back four seemed to do OK - kept a clean sheet right up until the last couple of minutes. Besides, the defence's job is usually made easier if the six in front of them carry some sort of attacking threat to keep the opponents more on the back foot.
But my original point still stands. Why bolster the defence at the expense of the attack if you don't mind losing the match anyway?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
So where exactly is judgement supposed to be formed if not in semi-competitive games such as these? It's a chance to shine and work your way up the pecking order. Sadly, not many other than the youngsters seem to have seized that chance in even the most modest way.

He said "Far too early". We live in a bullshit world of instant judgement and too many people who want to make themselves heard by going to extremes rather than having a balanced, considered, and oh dear.. boring view.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I would b***** well hope so!

However, the back four seemed to do OK - kept a clean sheet right up until the last couple of minutes. Besides, the defence's job is usually made easier if the six in front of them carry some sort of attacking threat to keep the opponents more on the back foot.
But my original point still stands. Why bolster the defence at the expense of the attack if you don't mind losing the match anyway?

Maybe because we didn't want to lose and did mind losing?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The big mistake last night was moving Gross into the midfield had he played his normal role that would have given more support and licence to Jahakanbahsh, Locadia and even Gyokeres. I would have started either Stephens or Propper alongside of Bissouma or at a push if he needed a game dropped Kayal into that position. In fact just swapping the roles of Kayal and Gross may have worked but it didnt as it existed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It could be that CH mindset is on not losing any game. He appears naturally cautious. You then weigh that up against the actions of Hughes in the tech area last night.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Been thinking if we managed to hire 'natural leaders' recently. Ryan, yes, Gross, partly, the rest? hmmm...early days I know for some. For me, the main leaders are still the 'old' guys: Murray, Bruno, Stephens, Dunk, Duffy [Knocky sometimes]. I think we need [or needed] to hire another couple of new ones. If we're lucky, Andone may be...but he needs to be in the Mitrovic mould to displace Murray [IMHO]. For me, Jose, Propper and Ali are less likely to be, but I still think Locadia has a chance to be - he needs a run in the team with a workable formation, to say yes or no: I thought he might be the 'angry boy' we need, but he's not showing it enough, or we've coached it out of him. Bissouma though...for a young lad he's showing great promise in the 'leadership' department. It's a long season, so good luck to all of them.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
The certainty with which the NSC sages have posted in this thread is hilarious.

Right up there with the "Maty Ryan is too short and looks a dodgy keeper all round" analysis popular this time last year... [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I think Locadia had some good touches and made some good runs but didnt really get what he wants , the ball into the channels to stretch his legs , most the passes were over hit or too close to a defender so he had no chance. Ali J is too early to say as he is still getting used to the pace and space in the UK which is faster and much less space than in the Netherlands.

I still see potential in both , but they are both yet to deliver it to anywhere near that potential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here