Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Home Insurance question

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
I am hoping someone can advise...

On the 29th June I sent my daughters MacBook for repair, under warranty. Today I have been advised the MacBook has water damage and therefore not covered under warranty, and a repair cost of £1600 (only cost £780!!). They have advised to look at claiming under home insurance.

On the 8th July I switched from Direct Line to Churchill Insurance (both have accidental damage cover).....bang in the middle of the "repair" process.

I have not "claimed" on home insurance for 25+ years, and have a horrible feeling that neither of the insurers will want to be interested due to this bad timing. Damage caused under old insurer, but finding out when with new insurer. Repair details and dates will doubtless be on the Apple system.....so have to be totally honest

Any thought or advice before I sit in a telephone claims queue for hours?

Thanks

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

On the 29th June I sent my daughters MacBook for repair, under warranty. Today I have been advised the MacBook has water damage and therefore not covered under warranty, and a repair cost of £1600 (only cost £780!!). They have advised to look at claiming under home insurance.

On the 8th July I switched from Direct Line to Churchill Insurance (both have accidental damage cover).....bang in the middle of the "repair" process.

I have not "claimed" on home insurance for 25+ years, and have a horrible feeling that neither of the insurers will want to be interested due to this bad timing. Damage caused under old insurer, but finding out when with new insurer. Repair details and dates will doubtless be on the Apple system.....so have to be totally honest

Thanks

Unless your T&C says otherwise, the original insurers should be covering because the insurable event happened when the policy was with them. Definitely won’t be the new one.........

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Thanks

You might want to check to see if you have cover away from the home because your problem is that you can't prove where the damage occurred. If you do have cover away from the home and Mac Book is covered (check for single article limits or if the Mac Book is an item listed under the policy due to it's individual value. A quick check on their website shows items worth over £2k should be specified). Make sure you get a report from the repairers confirming cause and the date they received it which will confirm damage occurred during Direct Line's time on risk. Suspect they might fight it but for that cost worth pursuing. Suggest you notify them straight away so you don't fall outside any time limits for notification.

Good luck.

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
You might want to check to see if you have cover away from the home because your problem is that you can't prove where the damage occurred. If you do have cover away from the home and Mac Book is covered (check for single article limits or if the Mac Book is an item listed under the policy due to it's individual value. A quick check on their website shows items worth over £2k should be specified). Make sure you get a report from the repairers confirming cause and the date they received it which will confirm damage occurred during Direct Line's time on risk. Suspect they might fight it but for that cost worth pursuing. Suggest you notify them straight away so you don't fall outside any time limits for notification.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. It is a Mac Book Air, so falls well within the limits. Will contact Direct Line asap

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If it cost £780 I would imagine that's all the insurer will pay up (less your excess). Remember you will need to tell your current insurers as well that you have made a claim. If you don't they can find out which could effect future claims and policies.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Note: As soon as you call up even to ask, the claim, accident, enquiry is logged and will affect your insurance even if you do not pursue the claim.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As well as claiming with Direct Line you will need to notify Churchill, as no doubt during the application stage you ticked a box stating that you had not suffered any losses within the last 3/5 years, whereas the correct answer now is yes you have suffered a loss.

This is to safeguard you against future claims as you will have a lot of explaining to do, if you make a future claim and reference this current loss which Churchill will pick up on and ask why you failed to inform them of these details

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
UPDATE:

Direct line have accepted the claim....all very straightforward (feel sorry I left them now!!). Thanks for the comments regarding advising current insurers....duly noted.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here