Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sorry but google 'deaths at airshows' and then click in the Wikipedia link to see how many people die around the world at airshows.

Comparing to car accidents is absurd.

The last time I watched an 'air show' type of event in the area, I watched two red arrows collide and eject. Luckily they had the sense to do it over the sea rather than a major A road.

1. Going onto Google & Wikipedia are hardly what I call academic research.

2. The comparison of the incidence of air accidents and car accidents is not absurd, it is called risk assessment which amongst other things is what I do for a living and have done for over 25 years.

3. The last time you watched an air show something happened and that has informed your view, utterly ridiculous from a statistical point of view. The final point in your post (about pilots deciding where to eject) is so obviously stupid it doesn't need addressing.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
1. Going onto Google & Wikipedia are hardly what I call academic research.

2. The comparison of the incidence of air accidents and car accidents is not absurd, it is called risk assessment which amongst other things is what I do for a living and have done for over 25 years.

3. The last time you watched an air show something happened and that has informed your view, utterly ridiculous from a statistical point of view. The final point in your post (about pilots deciding where to eject) is so obviously stupid it doesn't need addressing.

Mods, is it possible to have 2 threads on this tragedy? One for the vast majority of us who want to show sympathy, learn about those poor souls who have lost their lives, get updates on the latest news etc, and another for those who want to cause a binfest and slate each other.

It's difficult enough reading this harrowing thread, without the interjection by a few thoughtless posters who feel compelled to derail the thread owing to their greater need to be right!

Words fail me!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Words fail me to describe how awful this tragedy must be for those affected, my thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of the killed and injured.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Mods, is it possible to have 2 threads on this tragedy? One for the vast majority of us who want to show sympathy, learn about those poor souls who have lost their lives, get updates on the latest news etc, and another for those who want to cause a binfest and slate each other.

It's difficult enough reading this harrowing thread, without the interjection by a few thoughtless posters who feel compelled to derail the thread owing to their greater need to be right!

Words fail me!

Well thankfully they don't. Very well said Chimneys.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...we must brace ourselves for the possibility of NSC bereavements.

When I first read this comment, yesterday afternoon, I must admit I thought to myself, "That's unlikely." Then I learn this morning that Snoobs is dead.

I didn't know him, but I felt like I did. Sincere condolences to all on here that really knew him.

Rest in peace, Snoobs.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He said about a helicopter pilot he knew (he serviced his aircraft) who made the exact same mistake, and fortunately survived. Performed a loop, misjudged the conditions, dropped like a stone through the thinner air and crashed into the airfield.

Yep, it was a helicopter thinking about it. This one here youtu.be/gwZILBd-mNI

Might be the same one.Dennis Kenyon was the pilot ex-Royal Air Force.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The BBC website has a new video up for those strong of stomach which shows the plane trajectory. I am guessing it's by one the people standing by the pub. It doesn't show impact, but looks like the plane did the loop the loop right over the A27 which I find a bit odd. Given the circumstances, it made me feel quite sick so rightly comes with a warning.

The video on the beeb makes it look like an aero-stall. There's also a Dash-cam video that ties that in as well. Loop is going fine then as he levels off it drops.

At lot of questions are going to be asked but at the moment we need to all being sending positive thoughts to [MENTION=887]Boroseagull[/MENTION]. Hope you hear some good news soon.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Gutted that we have lost two members of the BHAFC Family. Thoughts and prayers with their families.

I've seen two videos from different angles and the plane seems to dip to the left and loses lift. I wonder if there was a left engine malfunction. Whatever it was, it won't change anything. Just so very tragic.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I haven't posted anything on here since the tragic event yesterday, I'm so shocked and saddened that I've been completely lost for words until now. I don't live down that way anymore, but knowing that stretch of road so well I still feel, like the rest of you, that this has happened on my doorstep. I laid in bed awake for most of last night thinking about it, and when I finally got to sleep around 5am, my dreams were haunted by this nightmare, so it makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach trying to imagine what the friends and families of the victims are going through. My Mum was going to go to the air show yesterday and watch the display from a vantage point somewhere near the airfield, thank God she changed her mind and decided not to go! Right now my thoughts are with the victims, the injured, their friends and families. I'm so glad that Westdene Seagull finally heard from his family, and my fingers are crossed for Boroseagull, I hope you receive some positive news soon mate. All I can say for now is, will you all hold your loved ones close tonight, because that could have been any one of us in that carnage, you just never know when your time is up. And finally, rest in peace the 11 poor souls who didn't live to see the sun set on that terrible day yesterday.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just saw the picture of Jacob in an Albion shirt on the news. I didn't know him, but that just hit me like a sledgehammer.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I just saw the picture of Jacob in an Albion shirt on the news. I didn't know him, but that just hit me like a sledgehammer.

my niece posted a picture of one of her friends brothers on fb on saturday evening saying she was worried about him as he hadn't come home....Matt Jones , the lad from Littlehampton. He has been named as one of the unfortunate victims , also the other two lads both off for a game off footy at Worthing Utd........so close to home , i really feel for the friends and families , can only be described as a freak accident and to lose loved ones like that , so suddenly , with no warning will be worse than heartbreaking.I hope Boroseagull gets positive news asap , i would be climbing the walls if i was him......all the best , to all , Syd. :down:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The reason I complained about your comment on the pilot is that I think it suggests he's likely to blame for this, which I think is an unfair accusation on someone who is fighting for his life. I think a more appropriate way to voice your opinion would be just to raise the question as to whether it was likely he was to blame. With an old jet like this, I'd imagine mechanical failure is the most likely cause (it might not be, but just what I think is most likely).

I don't know why he was doing the loop close to the dual carriageway, I don't know the routine was in the wrong place.

Inappropriate to speculate: Video footage, flight data recorders, wreckage analysis and eye witness accounts will give the answers:
Aircraft crashes are caused by one or more of the following:
1/ Pilot error
2/ Pilot incapacitation
3/ Aircraft mechanical failure
4/ Weather

Until the facts are established and the AAIB report published - please, no speculation.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Inappropriate to speculate: Video footage, flight data recorders, wreckage analysis and eye witness accounts will give the answers:
1/ Pilot error
2/ Pilot incapacitation
4/ Weather

Until the facts are established and the AAIB report published - please, no speculation.

Sorry going to have to disagree with you here fella. This is a forum after all to discuss topics. People will debate and speculate on things as it's only natural. As long as it's done in a sensitive and constructive way i don't see what the harm is.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The club are letting the emergency services use the training ground as a muster point and are also letting them use the facilities and are feeding them. They probably just want to keep the access and exit free and safe and don't want people to gather there as a result. Im sure this will be relaxed once the incident site is clear and the training ground back to normal. i'm on site there all day tomorrow, not looking forward to it to be honest.

Wasn't aware of this. Well done the Club (again).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
1/ Pilot error
2/ Pilot incapacitation
4/ Weather

It did not seem to be a bird strike.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sorry going to have to disagree with you here fella. This is a forum after all to discuss topics. People will debate and speculate on things as it's only natural. As long as it's done in a sensitive and constructive way i don't see what the harm is.

Then it almost becomes a game - my guess v your guess - at the bottom of a loop the G-suit needs to do its stuff, if this failed, the pilot was blacked out. But what's the point in such a comment, I have no idea if this is true, so better off saying nothing surely?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here