Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Bad day to be an Aussie....

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Not in Footy season.

I don't think you realise the blanket coverage and attention the AFL gets in all forms of media.

I know in Vic, and obviously Geelong, (do they still rule the AFL?) that footy is the no.1 sport, but it can't be denied that Oz is still a massive cricketing nation, and has more than a passing interest in RU

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I know in Vic, and obviously Geelong, (do they still rule the AFL?) that footy is the no.1 sport, but it can't be denied that Oz is still a massive cricketing nation, and has more than a passing interest in RU

It's not cricket season.

Here's the Herald Sun site, biggest paper in the land. Scroll down and tell me where the Cricket section is if you please. See if you can locate the section dedicated to Union (i'll give you a hint, it's right down the bottom) Gets less coverage than the NBA and US sports

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
It's not cricket season.

Here's the Herald Sun site, biggest paper in the land. Scroll down and tell me where the Cricket section is if you please. See if you can locate the section dedicated to Union (i'll give you a hint, it's right down the bottom) Gets less coverage than the NBA and US sports

Fair enough, not going to bother opening the link tho' to be honest.

Does that mean that no one cares about cricket in your winter tho'?
What about the Ashes series over here?
Must admit I'm not a Rugby fan, but I do remember league being above union from when I lived down under, but it was still massive when it came to the internationals?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Fair enough, not going to bother opening the link tho' to be honest.

Does that mean that no one cares about cricket in your winter tho'?
What about the Ashes series over here?
Must admit I'm not a Rugby fan, but I do remember league being above union from when I lived down under, but it was still massive when it came to the internationals?

League gets more coverage in Vic. But still far far less than AFL.

Union crowds are a mixture of a lot of different people. If you look at who makes up the bulk of Union clubs in Melbourne it's Kiwis and Islanders.

Cricket isn't much of a thing in the winter because it's only shown on pay TV. If people don't have pay TV, they aint watching it, and even if they do how many people with be up half way through the night to watch it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not in Footy season.
Don't be daft.

I don't think you realise the blanket coverage and attention the AFL gets in all forms of media.
Sure I do. AFL is big, I get that. And your state might not care about cricket as much as some others, but this thread was about Aussies in general, and there are plenty of Aussies who love their cricket, and just because there's another sport getting plenty of attention doesn't suddenly mean they don't care about their cricket.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
League gets more coverage in Vic. But still far far less than AFL.

Union crowds are a mixture of a lot of different people. If you look at who makes up the bulk of Union clubs in Melbourne it's Kiwis and Islanders.

Cricket isn't much of a thing in the winter because it's only shown on pay TV. If people don't have pay TV, they aint watching it, and even if they do how many people with be up half way through the night to watch it?

I'm thinking you must live a strange life over there if you don't think cricket is a big thing in the winter, I was living there for a couple of English ashes series, and the the infamous tour to India, it was pretty big......

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's not cricket season.

Shock, an Aussie that is a bad loser

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Had the group chat with 11 Australian friends going all day today.

They knew the scores to everything going on.

I had fun.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My experience living in Geelong in Victoria is that AFL is by far the largest sport discussed and covered during winter around these parts. The World cup is also getting much attention.

However to say other sports are hardly mentioned is massively exaggerated. This week I have heard cricket, basketball, netball and League discussed passionately and at length.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Shock, an Aussie that is a bad loser

I don't give a **** about cricket. :lolol:

It's an over saturated boring game.

The only time I ever followed cricket as a kid is was a New Zeland support all because of Lance Cairns.

Then as I got older I realised what a shit sport it is.

The end.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My experience living in Geelong in Victoria is that AFL is by far the largest sport discussed and covered during winter around these parts. The World cup is also getting much attention.

However to say other sports are hardly mentioned is massively exaggerated. This week I have heard cricket, basketball, netball and League discussed passionately and at length.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

All I have heard this week is AFL, WC and a woman murdered in Melbourne. Not one mention of cricket.

I could list 500 facebook friends pages, 0 mentions of cricket.

Geelong FC compared to Geelong CC is worlds apart in locals interest and bums on seats and spectators.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
All I have heard this week is AFL, WC and a woman murdered in Melbourne. Not one mention of cricket.

I could list 500 facebook friends pages, 0 mentions of cricket.

Geelong FC compared to Geelong CC is worlds apart in locals interest and bums on seats and spectators.

500 out of a population of 5 and a half million is a small sample to be making such sweeping statements.

Like I said huge exaggeration to say cricket and rugby are hardly mentioned in Victoria

But i guess it depend on your definition of 'hardly mentioned'

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here