Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duff's Distribution.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I call it playing in the top flight where every mistake, poor start, call it what you will is punished. We're still 13th because it is a bloody hard league where you have to be at your very best to get anything. I don't think we've been at our best recently, but I don't think we are running on empty either. But such are the narrow margins, a missed penalty here, 1 on 1 missed there, mistake at the back, punished mercilessly.

When you have to play at 100% across the team to win in this league, then any dip or absence can transform your fortunes. Stephen's injury, Knocky's suspension and now Propper's too couldn't have come at a worse time. Last 3 fixtures we've lacked the closing down and organised bite in midfield as well as that confidence in front of goal. I don't think we are running on empty at all, but confidence is a fragile thing when every game has so much riding on it.
Yes, we've been doing all that all season - pressure, concentration, playing to 100%. Now running out of steam (which is a likely cause of the loss of confidence - when you can't quite sustain the levels any more it knocks your confidence) - I just hope we've got one last trump card to play; we need it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, we've been doing all that all season - pressure, concentration, playing to 100%. Now running out of steam (which is a likely cause of the loss of confidence - when you can't quite sustain the levels any more it knocks your confidence) - I just hope we've got one last trump card to play; we need it.

I guess what I was picking up on, whether you meant that or not, was that I don't think it is physical fatigue, I wouldn't mind seeing the stats but we appear to be working as hard as we have all season, and for this reason, with 5 games left, I'd be wanting to put out our strongest team with the most appearances in each position as often as we can. I think Locadia instead of Knockeart was a mistake on Saturday, but certainly not the reason we capitulated so badly. To my mind it was reminiscent of those first 10mins against Chelsea when we came up against an attack that we simply couldn't adjust our shape to quickly enough, but grew into the game and looked the better side for a large portion of it.

I said on another thread, just a little something going our way, we could easily have got 7 points from those last 3, instead we got 1. Not saying we deserved 7, but in each game our opponents admitted after they got away with one. That isn't a side on their knees, but I agree, it has knocked the stuffing out of us a bit. We do need something special now I think, perhaps a dogged rear guard action and a flukey goal, I'll take anything!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think it's an area for investment insofar as Bruno isn't getting any younger and has clearly regressed this year. And whilst Bruno may be 5 yards closer to Duffy, he's vastly inferior in the air, offers much less offensively (now), has less pace and he's actually only likely that much closer to Duffy to try and cover his own weaknesses.

I agree Schelotto could be a tad closer to Duffy, but Schelotto himself has been isolated on a number of occasions this season, often being left with the whole of the right flank to himself as a mix of Locadia and Knockaert go walkabouts.

Furthermore, I think it's a tad disingenuous to complain about our biggest losses coming with him in the side - from what I remember of both games (which is a fair bit), none of the goals came down his side (Chelsea's first couple were definitely down Bong's side) and we were outplayed across the whole park.

Lastly, we shouldn't be criticising our full backs for trying to attack. We should be questioning why Duffy struggles so much to play out of the back. Losing the ball in areas that he does often puts the team under a lot of pressure and requires players who've moved out of position to make space to then retreat very quickly back into position, which is difficult at this level. It is no wonder Murray has struggled quite so much the last few games when the distribution out of our defence has been significantly weakened by Duffy's poor passing.

I do agree Schelotto is better these days than Bruno going forward, but primarily I want my full backs to defend, and Schelotto is not good enough in that area. Southampton away, March did more defensively (and he can’t tackle). Everton he showed a right footed player on to his right foot! Go figure. Just not good enough.

Considering Bruno played CB at the start of last season and generally wins a lot of aerial duels, I think it is highly debatable whether Schelotto is better in the air.

In terms of the heavy defeats, I disagree, and it’s not disingenuous at all. We are far more organised with Bruno in the team and it is no coincidence Duffy’s form seemed to worsen without Bruno next to him.

Back to Duffy, his passing isn’t great lately and I’d rather he thumped it towards the corner flag than thread a pass, as he just doesn’t have that in his repertoire.

Edit:
To be fair, Perhaps I’m just a footballing dinosaur in terms of the attacking full-back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I guess what I was picking up on, whether you meant that or not, was that I don't think it is physical fatigue, I wouldn't mind seeing the stats but we appear to be working as hard as we have all season, and for this reason, with 5 games left, I'd be wanting to put out our strongest team with the most appearances in each position as often as we can. I think Locadia instead of Knockeart was a mistake on Saturday, but certainly not the reason we capitulated so badly. To my mind it was reminiscent of those first 10mins against Chelsea when we came up against an attack that we simply couldn't adjust our shape to quickly enough, but grew into the game and looked the better side for a large portion of it.

I said on another thread, just a little something going our way, we could easily have got 7 points from those last 3, instead we got 1. Not saying we deserved 7, but in each game our opponents admitted after they got away with one. That isn't a side on their knees, but I agree, it has knocked the stuffing out of us a bit. We do need something special now I think, perhaps a dogged rear guard action and a flukey goal, I'll take anything!
Of course it's not physical fatigue. Even I could run around to my heart's content without a thought in my twenties and thirties, and these lads are highly trained and super fit athletes. The intensity of the PL is something they haven't experienced before - 46 matches I the Championship (especially if you're winning) is a doddle compared to 38 at this level - and brilliantly though the team has done this season, it looks like it's caught up with them. Mentally and psychologically they are struggling now, treading water at best. Hence my view (with, I freely admit, the benefit of hindsight) that it might have been good to have rotated just a little bit more when we could have.
One bit of luck, a flukey win, an outrageous decision going our way (or Southampton, Stoke and WBA not getting another point) - yes please, we need one of those now. Let's hope, whatever form it takes, one of them is somewhere in the offing!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I do agree Schelotto is better these days than Bruno going forward, but primarily I want my full backs to defend, and Schelotto is not good enough in that area. Southampton away, March did more defensively (and he can’t tackle). Everton he showed a right footed player on to his right foot! Go figure. Just not good enough.

Considering Bruno played CB at the start of last season and generally wins a lot of aerial duels, I think it is highly debatable whether Schelotto is better in the air.

In terms of the heavy defeats, I disagree, and it’s not disingenuous at all. We are far more organised with Bruno in the team and it is no coincidence Duffy’s form seemed to worsen without Bruno next to him.

Back to Duffy, his passing isn’t great lately and I’d rather he thumped it towards the corner flag than thread a pass, as he just doesn’t have that in his repertoire.

Edit:
To be fair, Perhaps I’m just a footballing dinosaur in terms of the attacking full-back.

I do like an attacking full back. The problem with them if that our system doesn’t really allow them to properly flourish. But that’s another discussion for another day.

In fairness, I didn’t go to the Everton game up there, so my recollection of it is based purely on highlights. So I won’t comment other than to say it happens regularly - I mean Arjen Robben has made a career of only using one foot and no matter how much full backs try and stop him, he always finds a way.

I did look at the statistics for Bruno and Schelotto. They’re remarkably similar in all areas but passing. In this regard, Bruno is unsurprisingly superior. But this is Schelotto’s first season in the league so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. What I would say though, is that Dunk aside, none of our defenders are actually that good on the ball with Bruno out of the side. It’s Bong’s biggest weakness and it is probably Schelotto’s too (as well as Duffy’s obviously) and there are lots of knock on effects on build up play. Albeit our low defensive block often doesn’t help us to play out of the back that effectively. In fact, it’s one of the reasons I think Duffy suffers so much - last year, he could lay it off simply to Stephens and concentrate solely on defending. This year we’re pressed much higher up and therefore his passing range has to be greater and often through a number of lines. That takes technique and vision, yet when you watch Duffy pass the ball long, he passes like a 1970s goalkeeper just punting the ball up the pitch.

I meant it’s disingenuous insofar as you’ve picked two of the best sides in the league who were absolutely on fire offensively both days. I just don’t see that having Bruno there would’ve made that much of a difference, albeit we will never know so it’s purely conjecture.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I do like an attacking full back. The problem with them if that our system doesn’t really allow them to properly flourish. But that’s another discussion for another day.

In fairness, I didn’t go to the Everton game up there, so my recollection of it is based purely on highlights. So I won’t comment other than to say it happens regularly - I mean Arjen Robben has made a career of only using one foot and no matter how much full backs try and stop him, he always finds a way.

I did look at the statistics for Bruno and Schelotto. They’re remarkably similar in all areas but passing. In this regard, Bruno is unsurprisingly superior. But this is Schelotto’s first season in the league so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. What I would say though, is that Dunk aside, none of our defenders are actually that good on the ball with Bruno out of the side. It’s Bong’s biggest weakness and it is probably Schelotto’s too (as well as Duffy’s obviously) and there are lots of knock on effects on build up play. Albeit our low defensive block often doesn’t help us to play out of the back that effectively. In fact, it’s one of the reasons I think Duffy suffers so much - last year, he could lay it off simply to Stephens and concentrate solely on defending. This year we’re pressed much higher up and therefore his passing range has to be greater and often through a number of lines. That takes technique and vision, yet when you watch Duffy pass the ball long, he passes like a 1970s goalkeeper just punting the ball up the pitch.

I meant it’s disingenuous insofar as you’ve picked two of the best sides in the league who were absolutely on fire offensively both days. I just don’t see that having Bruno there would’ve made that much of a difference, albeit we will never know so it’s purely conjecture.

Now you’re comparing a world class winger with Bolasie [emoji2] [emoji6]

Really good point re defensive line and Duffy’s options.

The way football is going seems to be pressing high, which means you need to have ‘bright’ players in terms of movement and passing accuracy, to play around it. Whether Duffy can develop this will be interesting where as Goldson is quite good from this perspective.

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
Now you’re comparing a world class winger with Bolasie [emoji2] [emoji6]

Really good point re defensive line and Duffy’s options.

The way football is going seems to be pressing high, which means you need to have ‘bright’ players in terms of movement and passing accuracy, to play around it. Whether Duffy can develop this will be interesting where as Goldson is quite good from this perspective.

He's had all season to develop this side of his game, but with teams letting him have the ball, he's been found wanting in the last few weeks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's had all season to develop this side of his game, but with teams letting him have the ball, he's been found wanting in the last few weeks.

He hasn't had all season to develop this side of his game.

He's had all season to get to grips with playing his most demanding season in the most demanding position against some of the worlds best attacking footballers.

The other teams get coached too, as Dunk isn't allowed the ball, CH should be making sure Duffy doesn't have to stretch his abilities.
Although in writing that didn't SD set up a Jose goal with a Dunkesque pass?

Duffy is in the team as a blunt instrument to compliment Dunk's finesse, he has done that brilliantly all season.

Sure it would have been nice to score a few, but when weighing up the goals he hasn't scored and has been responsible for against the ones he 'saved' he is still hugely in credit.

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
He hasn't had all season to develop this side of his game.

He's had all season to get to grips with playing his most demanding season in the most demanding position against some of the worlds best attacking footballers.

The other teams get coached too, as Dunk isn't allowed the ball, CH should be making sure Duffy doesn't have to stretch his abilities.
Although in writing that didn't SD set up a Jose goal with a Dunkesque pass?

Duffy is in the team as a blunt instrument to compliment Dunk's finesse, he has done that brilliantly all season.

Sure it would have been nice to score a few, but when weighing up the goals he hasn't scored and has been responsible for against the ones he 'saved' he is still hugely in credit.

So "he's had all season to get to grips with playing his most demanding season in the most demanding position against some of the worlds best attacking footballers" This surely would include distribution of the ball.
Not lumping it up and then retreating as we face another attack.

As I've said, there is no problem defensively and I've no problem with the lack of goals (forwards job).

We need two ball playing CBs in the premier.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
More comfortable facing Kane than Haha.

Shane Duffy is being reported in the Argus, that he's rather face Harry Kane than Haha.

IMO, you don't really get a choice in he PL, who you face these days, as most of the frontline of teams are like speed merchants, and you have to adapt to keep up.
What did make me smile in the article, is the way Haha is described, that 'he's a floater'
Sh!t and a turd went through my mind :cool:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So "he's had all season to get to grips with playing his most demanding season in the most demanding position against some of the worlds best attacking footballers" This surely would include distribution of the ball.
Not lumping it up and then retreating as we face another attack.

As I've said, there is no problem defensively and I've no problem with the lack of goals (forwards job).

We need two ball playing CBs in the premier.

If only he'd have lumped it forward against Huddersfield.

He's been excellent. He is what he is. Superb in the Championship, stepped up this season. I'd love 2 ball playing centre halves, 2 wingers that get 10+ assists and 10 goals each, 2 goal scoring centre midfielders, and a 20+ goal striker. We have what we have. Hughton doesn't believe Goldson offers a better option than Duffy, and personally I tend to agree with him. Goldson fantastic when called upon, but cannot see him making us better.

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
If only he'd have lumped it forward against Huddersfield.

He's been excellent. He is what he is. Superb in the Championship, stepped up this season. I'd love 2 ball playing centre halves, 2 wingers that get 10+ assists and 10 goals each, 2 goal scoring centre midfielders, and a 20+ goal striker. We have what we have. Hughton doesn't believe Goldson offers a better option than Duffy, and personally I tend to agree with him. Goldson fantastic when called upon, but cannot see him making us better.

Point taken, we have what we have. I just feel that Goldson would be a better option, especially against quicker trickier forwards.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
Thought Duffys distribution was poor tonight, dunk keeps possession but Duffy just clears it anywhere...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thought Duffys distribution was poor tonight, dunk keeps possession but Duffy just clears it anywhere...

There were enough players around him making dreadful errors, Kayal, Stephens, Bong, to completely justify Duffy’s no nonsense approach to defending. Some will obviously always look at the negatives, but that was a vintage centre half’s performance tonight.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I’m quite happy not to see us messing about in dangerous areas against attackers of Spurs’ quality. If Bong (who I like a lot) had just hoofed the ball out for a throw, we probably wouldn’t have been a goal down. It’s good that we try to play a bit but have to choose the moments and opponents.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There were enough players around him making dreadful errors, Kayal, Stephens, Bong, to completely justify Duffy’s no nonsense approach to defending. Some will obviously always look at the negatives, but that was a vintage centre half’s performance tonight.

This. Absolute rock tonight.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here