Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've been listening to The Today programme this morning. It's coming from Teesside and, not surprisingly given the date, Brexit is a main theme. At one point it turned into a kind of focus group featuring a bunch of workers in a factory. Now before any anti-BBC agendas kick-in I don't think that they were set-up in any way. And anyway my impressions will be music to the ears of Leavers.

- they sounded like decent ordinary folk; they could well be representative of a big slice of the Brexit vote in the north

- they deserve to be listened to

- they have no enthusiasm whatever for a 2nd referendum

- the overwhelming view is that 'we should just get on with it'; that Brexit might not work out but it was worth it

- one respondent (even) said that if he lost his job as a direct result of Brexit he would still think it was worth it (there's a good chance of this happening)

These are my impressions. It made for depressing listening for me. The 'just get on with it' phrase has replaced 'take back control' as a very powerful 'common sense' framing device. There's a passive stoicism tinged I think with resentment that anyone should want to stir things up or make life more complicated.

This made for hard listening for the likes of me. But then I thought about us lot on this thread. We are highly untypical; we are the odd ones. How many people contribute to NSC threads? Of those how many come on this thread? I don't know but my guess is a very low proportion. And of those who visit this thread, how many contribute? My guess would be that about 90% of the stuff on here comes from about the same 10 people; we probably have some sort of mental disorder.

It's a bit like being stuck in a lift with 10 people - 5 that you like and 5 you don't. And here we all are having the same arguments over and over again (or variations) while the rest of the world (and NSC) just........gets on with it. We might just have a lot more in common with each other than we have with the rest of the population.

Bloody hell: that is scary and rather depressing. The one thing we can't get on with is each other. But at least we care.

Full credit for them saying that and standing by what they voted for.

It’s madness though, utter madness - are some people totally taken in by Farage etc?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been listening to The Today programme this morning. It's coming from Teesside and, not surprisingly given the date, Brexit is a main theme. At one point it turned into a kind of focus group featuring a bunch of workers in a factory. Now before any anti-BBC agendas kick-in I don't think that they were set-up in any way. And anyway my impressions will be music to the ears of Leavers.

- they sounded like decent ordinary folk; they could well be representative of a big slice of the Brexit vote in the north

- the overwhelming view is that 'we should just get on with it'; that Brexit might not work out but it was worth it

- one respondent (even) said that if he lost his job as a direct result of Brexit he would still think it was worth it (there's a good chance of this happening)

These are my impressions. It made for depressing listening for me. The 'just get on with it' phrase has replaced 'take back control' as a very powerful 'common sense' framing device. There's a passive stoicism tinged I think with resentment that anyone should want to stir things up or make life more complicated.

This made for hard listening for the likes of me. But then I thought about us lot on this thread. We are highly untypical; we are the odd ones. How many people contribute to NSC threads? Of those how many come on this thread? I don't know but my guess is a very low proportion. And of those who visit this thread, how many contribute? My guess would be that about 90% of the stuff on here comes from about the same 10 people; we probably have some sort of mental disorder.

It's a bit like being stuck in a lift with 10 people - 5 that you like and 5 you don't. And here we all are having the same arguments over and over again (or variations) while the rest of the world (and NSC) just........gets on with it. We might just have a lot more in common with each other than we have with the rest of the population.

Bloody hell: that is scary and rather depressing. The one thing we can't get on with is each other. But at least we care.

A good friend of mine, another pensioner, posted on my Facebook discussion, (sic) OFGS let's just get on with it.
I asked her what it was she wanted us to get on with? What deal did she want? I gave her the option of Norway, Swiss, Canadian, hard Brexit, soft Brexit or no deal.
She couldn't answer me. She didn't know what it was she wanted the politicians to get on with, or how it would affect us when we'd finally come out.
That's putting a lot of trust into the politicians, who, imo, have proved themselves to be untrustworthy.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Brighton politically has been irrelevant as any sort of 'national voice' for decades (if it ever was even) NSC remoaners will not change that and nor will the leavers.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A good friend of mine, another pensioner, posted on my Facebook discussion, (sic) OFGS let's just get on with it.
I asked her what it was she wanted us to get on with? What deal did she want? I gave her the option of Norway, Swiss, Canadian, hard Brexit, soft Brexit or no deal.
She couldn't answer me. She didn't know what it was she wanted the politicians to get on with, or how it would affect us when we'd finally come out.
That's putting a lot of trust into the politicians, who, imo, have proved themselves to be untrustworthy.

Wanting to get on with it without knowing what it was she was getting ? I can't imagine any sensible person would want that :angel:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thick they are not

Poorly read, travelled and educated, often YES

Then I suggest you have a word with your mate Clamp - the one you support so much - he seems to like using those terms.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see that fresh from promising 1,000 UKBA staff in preparation for Brexit yesterday, (to just paper over the cracks by just replacing some of the 750+ who leave or retire every year anyway) we've really #takebackcontrol already by losing track of nearly 600,000 non-EU visitors to the UK since 2015.

Still, one year to go, tick-tock, tick-tock, etc,etc

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Brighton politically has been irrelevant as any sort of 'national voice' for decades (if it ever was even) NSC remoaners will not change that and nor will the leavers.
Remoaners? Really? Still using that tired old insult to deflect from what has clearly become an enormous cluster****?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I've been listening to the various coverage as well and certainly recognise some of what you're saying, the 'just get on with it' is a very strong sentiment.

What I don't hear though, is any optimism, it's really sad but the general consensus is that things "cant get any worse". Is that really the best we can hope for in 21st century Britain?

Totally agree with your reflection on NSC but think it more describes, Brighton, and the whole of the South East of England. The majority of the people are stuck in one big comfortable, complacent bubble that doesn't reflect the rest of the country.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see that fresh from promising 1,000 UKBA staff in preparation for Brexit yesterday, (to just paper over the cracks by just replacing some of the 750+ who leave or retire every year anyway) we've really #takebackcontrol already by losing track of nearly 600,000 non-EU visitors to the UK since 2015.

Still, one year to go, tick-tock, tick-tock, etc,etc

And that's the real story.

Despite all the pontificating from both sides of the argument, the fact is that 2 years on there has still been no real preparation for Brexit. (I wonder what that might mean).

The fact that the government proudly announced that figure and immediately got slapped down by the staff turnover figure shows how little is being done.

But don't worry, we've still got technology, and agile methodologies ( © http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?301768-Bell-Cheeses-at-work ) to rescue it.

Anyone on here ever worked on a large project :lolol:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I've been listening to the various coverage as well and certainly recognise some of what you're saying, the 'just get on with it' is a very strong sentiment.

What I don't hear though, is any optimism, it's really sad but the general consensus is that things "cant get any worse". Is that really the best we can hope for in 21st century Britain?

Totally agree with your reflection on NSC but think it more describes, Brighton, and the whole of the South East of England. The majority of the people are stuck in one big comfortable, complacent bubble that doesn't reflect the rest of the country.

I read a stat today that said 90% of Leavers still wanted to leave but only 50% of Leavers thought their family would be better off as a result.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The new mantra of Brexit (we still have no idea what this means, of course) is indeed, 'get on with it'.

Walking past the newspapers this morning, I noted the big front page of the Express (could have been the Mail, tbh) was a triumphant quote from the opportunist turn-coat Boris Johnson, about being 'on the home straight, and the view is lovely', laid over a picture of the white cliffs of Dover. The banner at the top of the page screams 'One year to go', and the banner at the bottom 'Poll reveals no appetite for second vote'.

Two thoughts on it:

1. How funny it is - if you'd designed a spoof cover to lampoon the blinkered Little Englander mentality, you'd have come up with something very similar.

2. The two banners together 'One year to go' AND 'No appetite...' seemed (to me at least) to reveal an air of desperation - of fear.

I don't agree that 'Get on with it' is only a statement of dull acceptance. I think at the manipulative government / media level it is a case of 'Get on with it QUICK, so we're are utterly committed before the whole thing unravels and anyone has the chance to stop it'.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The new mantra of Brexit (we still have no idea what this means, of course) is indeed, 'get on with it'.

Walking past the newspapers this morning, I noted the big front page of the Express (could have been the Mail, tbh) was a triumphant quote from the opportunist turn-coat Boris Johnson, about being 'on the home straight, and the view is lovely', laid over a picture of the white cliffs of Dover. The banner at the top of the page screams 'One year to go', and the banner at the bottom 'Poll reveals no appetite for second vote'.

Two thoughts on it:

1. How funny it is - if you'd designed a spoof cover to lampoon the blinkered Little Englander mentality, you'd have come up with something very similar.

2. The two banners together 'One year to go' AND 'No appetite...' seemed (to me at least) to reveal an air of desperation - of fear.

I don't agree that 'Get on with it' is only a statement of dull acceptance. I think at the manipulative government / media level it is a case of 'Get on with it QUICK, so we're are utterly committed before the whole thing unravels and anyone has the chance to stop it'.

I see Boris as the David Warner of Brexit!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Remoaners? Really? Still using that tired old insult to deflect from what has clearly become an enormous cluster****?

As if nobody has ever complained about a government before. After every general election, budget speech or act of parliament, I hear someone complaining about politicians, so moaning about Brexit is completely natural behaviour.
Had the referendum come in at Remain, do they really think the Brexit voters wouldn't have complained?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

"Lets just get on with it" has become the phrase of the day of sections of ignorant joe public

We do a parliamentary democracy and due process needs to take place, despite the wishes of the Tory right and their offshore mates in the press.

Brexit is incredibly complex and expensive. It is still a case of "if" we leave, not "when", so little has been achieved and so much to do

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here