Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No need to run down blighty with hysterical exaggerations and misinformation old boy. Have you been drinking?

U.K. Economic growth lower than EU http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/29/eurozone-economy-grows-faster-than-expected-ecb

Pound collapsing https://next.ft.com/content/7fa04d70-d911-11e5-a72f-1e7744c66818

Unemployment up http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/20/uk-unemployment-rises-and-pay-growth-falls

I've not been drinking but I'd quite like a pint of what you've had.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Ah I see 0.2%( 0.1% US) better in one quarter (and still overall lower growth than we have achieved since the crash) with the caveat ... some experts warned that the single currency region could have a tougher second quarter and that the first quarter figures could yet be revised lower when more information comes in. ....Outstripping indeed.

Second link doesn't work. Pound/Euro ..
chart
... collapsing?

3rd link yes unemployment marginally up after a long period of falling .. all of the above definitely supports your doomsday analysis of the UK :lolol:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
If unemployment is rising like you say it is, should we not have control over our borders?

There is a pervasive belief that there are a finite number of jobs in the economy. This isn't how it works. All our growth forecasts are prefaced on the notion that immigration will continue to rise. Lower immigration means a weaker economy, which means less jobs.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
That is the funniest comment on this whole thread
If all else fails you in life at least you will make a good German comedian

we have control of our borders :lolol: :clap2: :stupid:

All those UK border officers standing around in Calais for fun then?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I am completely relaxed about the vote, the silent majority will have their say, to stay in the union and move forward holding hands with our friends

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
There is a pervasive belief that there are a finite number of jobs in the economy. This isn't how it works. All our growth forecasts are prefaced on the notion that immigration will continue to rise. Lower immigration means a weaker economy, which means less jobs.

What about the Treasury's forecasts? does that £4300/ year worse off factor in a lower immigration forecast.....i mean if they are basing 2030 on a potential 80 million population vs a possible 60 million population,then we could be much better off..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Quite. It also makes you wonder what they do when they scan your passport at both ends.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Quite. It also makes you wonder what they do when they scan your passport at both ends.

I could scan the shopping at a checkout but do i check it out,or let it through anyway

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

I'd stop worrying about a couple of thousand North Africans and afghans if I was them. Let the poor sods in I say.

88 million Albanians, Serbians and Turks will be eligible for access in a couple of years. We'll need the extra waiters and hairdressers for that lot anyway.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Holy Freedom Of Movement
You are saying we have had the power all along to control the numbers of EU citizen entering the country and someone simply forgot to tell the border officers.

all they had to do is say no Europeans this year thanks we are a bit full……., crikey that’s a bit embarrassing……why did no one think of mentioning this? would have saved an awful lot of bother

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'd stop worrying about a couple of thousand North Africans and afghans if I was them. Let the poor sods in I say.

88 million Albanians, Serbians and Turks will be eligible for access in a couple of years. We'll need the extra waiters and hairdressers for that lot anyway.

perhaps [MENTION=25549]5ways[/MENTION] is prepared to take one in and house one,give up his job maybe too,especially when the boss finds out the European will work for 1/3 of the cost and pay 1/3 less Tax if any.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't suppose the German unemployment figures include the 1.5 million new arrivals,now helping to cause a major increase in state spending,but don't let the facts interfere with what our resident 'expert' says!

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
They don't know. Not one single Brexiter has presented anything about how a post-exit Britain might look. They bang on about doing deals with every nation under the sun but no one has said they'd be happy to discuss. The U.K. economy is tanking, the pound is collapsing, unemployment rising yet we want to leave a trading block which is out stripping both the UK and the US. If you want to leave at least time it better. Absolutely bonkers.

What does it mean when the economy is doing well.It means lots of jobs are created.Lots of jobs for migrants.So what's the point.

If Turkey,Albania etc are accepted into the EU that's a potential 88 million who can go where they want.Stands to reason some will come here.

I'd be interested to know what is Remains breaking point.Will they back-off when we've taken in another 3m migrants?5million?10 million?When do even they say enough is enough because you can be sure as hell they also have a breaking point.
With Brexit our breaking point has been passed because only we seem to have the common sense to see what problems lie ahead.What problems are already here.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
They don't know. Not one single Brexiter has presented anything about how a post-exit Britain might look. They bang on about doing deals with every nation under the sun but no one has said they'd be happy to discuss. The U.K. economy is tanking, the pound is collapsing, unemployment rising yet we want to leave a trading block which is out stripping both the UK and the US. If you want to leave at least time it better. Absolutely bonkers.

Sorry, how can this be timed better? We've had two cast iron election promises broken by the last two governments, this is a once in a generation chance.

What might a post-Brexit britain look like? Like Britain right now, except with proper borders and a democratic lawmaking process. Stop with the scare stories. And since when is the pound collapsing a bad thing for unemployment? Economics 101, devaluation of the exchange rate will help our economy. Not everything is about economics though. What's an extra 0.1% of GDP when your kid can't get into a nearby school and you're on a 9 month NHS waiting list because of immigration?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sorry, how can this be timed better? We've had two cast iron election promises broken by the last two governments, this is a once in a generation chance.

What might a post-Brexit britain look like? Like Britain right now, except with proper borders and a democratic lawmaking process. Stop with the scare stories. And since when is the pound collapsing a bad thing for unemployment? Economics 101, devaluation of the exchange rate will help our economy. Not everything is about economics though. What's an extra 0.1% of GDP when your kid can't get into a nearby school and you're on a 9 month NHS waiting list because of immigration?

A good post but you do realise you are responding to a post by a chap that does not live here, so a nearby school and 9 month NHS waiting list will not affect him.
I believe he is more worried about the affect that a Brexit will have on where he lives.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A post brexit UK? It's pretty much nailed on that, if we vote out, that we will be swiftly followed out by France, Austria and probably the Netherlands who have very active anti immigrant and eurosceptic tendencies already. An Eu comprised of a successful Germany and a bunch of basket case Southern European countries and a massively underprivelidged Eastern European accession countries would be a very interesting and vaguely hilarious outcome.

The EU nearly went into meltdown when Greece imploded losing its second largest economy would be non survivable. The EU will collapse so we can all get back to a nice free trade arrangement.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
What about the Treasury's forecasts? does that £4300/ year worse off factor in a lower immigration forecast.....i mean if they are basing 2030 on a potential 80 million population vs a possible 60 million population,then we could be much better off..

Those forecasts are based (as I understand) on immigration continuing to rise and the population growing. A lot of economic loss comes from a loss of new immigrants following Brexit, as I understand it.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

You want to talk economics 101 ???

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Holy Freedom Of Movement
You are saying we have had the power all along to control the numbers of EU citizen entering the country and someone simply forgot to tell the border officers.

all they had to do is say no Europeans this year thanks we are a bit full……., crikey that’s a bit embarrassing……why did no one think of mentioning this? would have saved an awful lot of bother

We we do have borders and border controls, we're not in Schengen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here