Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul McCarthy RIP

He always gave a 100% when he played for us. Very sad to hear this and my condolences to his family.

jimtm69

May 19, 2009
Sad times. He was a familiar face in our local in Crowborough in his Oxford United and laterly Wycombe wanderers tracksuit on a Saturday evening drinking Guinness. 😊 I mentioned to him once I was working in Birmingham soon and he arranged for me and my workmate to come to St Andrews where Wycombe were playing the blues in the league cup. He came up trumps and pre match I caught him going down the tunnel and thanked him for sorting us out.
Really good man. RIP Paul. 😞

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Remember having a chat with Paul in 2000 at a time when I was living in Wycombe. Happened to be going to Adams Park one Saturday afternoon as a bored 16 year old with no way of getting to the Withdean and need of a football fix. About two miles from the ground me and and my mates noticed what looked like a couple of Wycombe players kicking a ball about in some park. After investigating further it turns out it was Super Paul McCarthy who wasn't in the matchday squad that day. As luck would have it I had my 1994 Sandtex home strip on under my jacket. I whipped my coat off lively and after about 5 minutes he clocked me. He waved me over obviously somewhat confused to see a spotty nosed 16 year old in High Wycombe wearing the same strip he used to. We had a good chat and what stood out was the fondness in which he still held the Albion in. Top man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Not read the previous 16 pages, so apologies if I repeat what people have already said.....

To say this morning's news was a bomb-shell would be an understatement...I knew Paul, having taught two of his four amazing daughters some years ago and would still see and talk to him regularly at our mutual gym in Crowborough

Nice is a shit word, but he was genuinely the nicest, the most engaging and polite of men. And still incredibly fit, which staggers me when I read that he had a heart attack of all things

Devestating for his wife Cath and his girls......RIP Paul, far far too young.

Last edited:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Shocking news. One year older than me and I bet a heck of a lot fitter. Great player for us. RIP Paul and thoughts with his family.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
This is shocking news. 45, Crikey. RIP. I remember he was a very good player. Taken from this world way too young :(

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Back in the day he was the first regular first team player that I realised was younger than me. One of the best from that era. Dreadfully sad news.

kroqq

Mar 28, 2013
So shocked by this. Thats no age to go. A great player and from the couple of times i met him when he was with us an absolute gent. RIP Paul

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have just read every message in this thread. I remember, when he left for WW, wondering what was happening to this club. I was a 2 games a season man from 86 to 98, yet I remember him well. RIP.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd forgotten about Derek McGrath. I may be wrong but he was a relatively short midfielder in the Jeff Minton mould. Also Irish and I think he was also playing in the Rep of Ireland U21 match I went to see at Brentford.

Yes. Only played a handful of matches. Notably at Anfield in 1991 FA Cup tie. I don't recall if Paul was playing in that match or not.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Truly shocking news - a real BHA star. Thoughts with his family. Let's beat Reading in Super PM's memory!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here