Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
In between, I went to Worthing's Kids Run Free session on Saturday with my 6-y-o. Fair play to him, he's done every one since launch which has included a really hot one in August, one where it was absolutely tipping it down in October and cold ones in November and this month. It's like Park Run for kids, once a month and a great way to start kids off with running. Details here if you're interested - there's one in Brighton too: http://www.kidsrunfree.co.uk/site/index.php I ran back from that which was a shade over 3 miles.

Good stuff - there's an actual kids Parkrun in Brighton too - every Sunday morning (2km course).
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/prestonpark-juniors/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Happy 200th Parkrun for [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]. An excellent tally. See [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] is back to sub21. Well done. I'm still out with swelling refusing to leave knees, big toes and finger. Really sore when walking, not flexible from knees and can't do any stretching. BUT definite improvement as mobile, it's stopped spreading to new joints and relatively pain free swelling.. Maybe able to walk a parkrun in 43" in a week or so and grab last place.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Another Saturday, another (Worthing) parkrun: 21:35. quite pleased with this. Should notch up 40 races for the year if we include duathlons. Best ever in terms of quantity but the vast majority were only 5ks so feel a bit of fraud compared with some NSC runners who tackle heroic distances!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
20:19 park run today. Had to drag myself down there on a red wine head and only started at the back as I wasn't expecting much but 100m in and felt really strong so pushed on from there. Number 10 for me. 200 [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] fantastic

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
20:19 park run today. Had to drag myself down there on a red wine head and only started at the back as I wasn't expecting much but 100m in and felt really strong so pushed on from there. Number 10 for me. 200 [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] fantastic

Glad you started at the back. Glad you drank enough winein accordance with the Parkrun ethos.You've 3 Parkruns left to grab the 2016 5K Prize in our rivalry.

July 2016 St Leonard's Seafront VERY FLAT FASTCOURSE AND IDEAL WEATHER DAY (unlike today)
15th Stuart BROWN 20:19 VM55-59 76.29 % M First Timer! 85 runs Member of the parkrun 50 Club

Must say the steward stopped us for about 5 seconds at almost halfway as she got the turning point wrong. Didn't mind at the time thinking I'd beat it the next week not knowing it was to be my last Parkrun for the year. Had the obligatory red the night before. Perversely having two 10 day sessions of sobriety around Cardiff session last week and not even running.

You have to smash that next week as you'll be improving too much for me next year. Not that I won't try.......

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Glad you started at the back. Glad you drank enough winein accordance with the Parkrun ethos.You've 3 Parkruns left to grab the 2016 5K Prize in our rivalry.

July 2016 St Leonard's Seafront VERY FLAT FASTCOURSE AND IDEAL WEATHER DAY (unlike today)
15th Stuart BROWN 20:19 VM55-59 76.29 % M First Timer! 85 runs Member of the parkrun 50 Club

Must say the steward stopped us for about 5 seconds at almost halfway as she got the turning point wrong. Didn't mind at the time thinking I'd beat it the next week not knowing it was to be my last Parkrun for the year. Had the obligatory red the night before. Perversely having two 10 day sessions of sobriety around Cardiff session last week and not even running.

You have to smash that next week as you'll be improving too much for me next year. Not that I won't try.......

That's me done. I can't make the next 2 so you keep the record. My max age grading was 72% so you won fair and square. If you allowed for the 5 second delay you smashed it which is why I'm choosing to ignore it. Why have you kept the secret of speed from me for so long? Virgin wine order now placed for weekly Thursday night deliveries.
It's going to be good to see you back out there. Pleased to hear your heading the right way

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That's me done. I can't make the next 2 so you keep the record. My max age grading was 72% so you won fair and square. If you allowed for the 5 second delay you smashed it which is why I'm choosing to ignore it. Why have you kept the secret of speed from me for so long? Virgin wine order now placed for weekly Thursday night deliveries.
It's going to be good to see you back out there. Pleased to hear your heading the right way

No chance. It's currently a tie for 2016 5k challenge between us. An old NSC Challenge rule states that AG may be impressive but it is the TIME that counts (foolishly devised by myself). You could give it an alcohol, rocket fuelled attempt on 31 December. Day after the Cardiff game and full of Xmas cheer.

@GNT had a challenge with me as well regarding AG. Think he got it Jan 1st. What was your winning AG [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s Teacher ?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Happy 200th Parkrun for [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]. An excellent tally. See [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] is back to sub21. Well done. I'm still out with swelling refusing to leave knees, big toes and finger. Really sore when walking, not flexible from knees and can't do any stretching. BUT definite improvement as mobile, it's stopped spreading to new joints and relatively pain free swelling.. Maybe able to walk a parkrun in 43" in a week or so and grab last place.

Congrats too to [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]- quite an achievement - on my way round I was thinking I'm looking at another two years to get to 200 which puts it into proportion for me.
Pleased to get back under 21 yesterday and felt good after a fairly restful week post mince Pie 10 after which I felt complelety knackered.

Good to hear you're improving and look forward to seeing you back.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No chance. It's currently a tie for 2016 5k challenge between us. An old NSC Challenge rule states that AG may be impressive but it is the TIME that counts (foolishly devised by myself). You could give it an alcohol, rocket fuelled attempt on 31 December. Day after the Cardiff game and full of Xmas cheer.

@GNT had a challenge with me as well regarding AG. Think he got it Jan 1st. What was your winning AG [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s Teacher ?

Hove Prom Parkrun on 30th April - 20:20 giving an AG of 79.59%. I'd like to think that this will be the NSC record for 2016 - but there's still a few runs to come. I'll not get near this again for a while, if ever. It's my birthday just after Xmas but even with the extra year to factor in to the AG formula I'll be nowhere near this - maybe 75% on a good day unless and until I can get some quality training in.
Be good to think of you (and others!) chasing me down when you are fully recovered - it will add to motivation for the NSC AG championship in 2017!
7 miles for me today @ 9 minute miles.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hove Prom Parkrun on 30th April - 20:20 giving an AG of 79.59%. I'd like to think that this will be the NSC record for 2016 - but there's still a few runs to come. I'll not get near this again for a while, if ever. It's my birthday just after Xmas but even with the extra year to factor in to the AG formula I'll be nowhere near this - maybe 75% on a good day unless and until I can get some quality training in.
Be good to think of you (and others!) chasing me down when you are fully recovered - it will add to motivation for the NSC AG championship in 2017!

Incredible AG that.. ..my best for 2016 is 72.68 back in June, and I've got massively slower since then.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Brilliant time at any age and you are well ahead of me in the AG Championship. Well done. Definitely a SOGY (Sporting Old GIT of the Year) medal position.
I think [MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] is the undisputed King of Old Git times 2016. Didn't he get an 80%+ this year? There may be another runner above 76.29% that takes the Bronze from me.
You're 79.59% will never be beaten by me. I've looked at my AG since school and when around peak AG is same as this year.Meaning I have to train and race just as hard next year just to be a few seconds slower.

May the AG battle commence again in 2017 although I'll be building up to June at the earliest.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Brilliant time at any age and you are well ahead of me in the AG Championship. Well done. Definitely a SOGY (Sporting Old GIT of the Year) medal position.
I think [MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] is the undisputed King of Old Git times 2016. Didn't he get an 80%+ this year? There may be another runner above 76.29% that takes the Bronze from me.
You're 79.59% will never be beaten by me. I've looked at my AG since school and when around peak AG is same as this year.Meaning I have to train and race just as hard next year just to be a few seconds slower.

May the AG battle commence again in 2017 although I'll be building up to June at the earliest.

Cheers. Yes it's an annual challenge, so anything for 2016 gets wiped out (more's the pity from my selfish perspective). I plan/hope to do 2 x Parkruns on New Year's Day (not sure which) but can't see me posting a very strong start to the year.
Talking of which there's a Parkrun Christmas Compendium giving details of the events which are planned for Xmas Day and New Year's Day. Quite a few have yet to declare and some are doing the 'staggered timing' on New Year's Day to facilitate doing two. Last year Hove Prom and Hove Park had this arrangement but my impression is that the Brighton parkruns are a bit thin on the ground on 25/12 and 01/01 but assume they will be run on 24/12 and 31/12 as these are Saturdays.
There's also a 'Hangover 5' on New Year's Day on the Downs at the back of Worthing. On 01/01/15 I did the Horsham followed by the Tilgate parkrun and overheard a few guys who were then going to go down to Worthing to also do the 5 miler!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers guys. Was a good run around, dipping back under 22 minutes again. Heavy legs yesterday so only managed 5.5-miles, nice and easy.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Cheers. Yes it's an annual challenge, so anything for 2016 gets wiped out (more's the pity from my selfish perspective). I plan/hope to do 2 x Parkruns on New Year's Day (not sure which) but can't see me posting a very strong start to the year.
Talking of which there's a Parkrun Christmas Compendium giving details of the events which are planned for Xmas Day and New Year's Day. Quite a few have yet to declare and some are doing the 'staggered timing' on New Year's Day to facilitate doing two. Last year Hove Prom and Hove Park had this arrangement but my impression is that the Brighton parkruns are a bit thin on the ground on 25/12 and 01/01 but assume they will be run on 24/12 and 31/12 as these are Saturdays.
There's also a 'Hangover 5' on New Year's Day on the Downs at the back of Worthing. On 01/01/15 I did the Horsham followed by the Tilgate parkrun and overheard a few guys who were then going to go down to Worthing to also do the 5 miler!

Preston Park is happening on the 25th :)

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
My long run yesterday was 13.1 miles in a time 1hr 54 mins. Nice to get out and do a run when it wasn't too cold, also not sure when my next long run will be over the next few weeks, so pleased to get the miles in and do a PB.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

Best I've done is 78% this year for 18.04 at kings Lynn. Was a horrible day weather wise and hope that's not my only chance of a sub 18 gone. Nowhere near that now haven't run for 5 weeks as I've torn my Abductor Longus.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Best I've done is 78% this year for 18.04 at kings Lynn. Was a horrible day weather wise and hope that's not my only chance of a sub 18 gone. Nowhere near that now haven't run for 5 weeks as I've torn my Abductor Longus.

Good luck with the abductor injury.
A very fast Silver Medal for you and the GOLD medal goes to 79.59% AG from [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION]. Against such strong NSC competition will be happy to take Bronze with 76.29% but maybe someone has beaten that and stopped me from medaling.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Second steroid jab on Wednesday has made me wash the car, clear the back garden, jeyes fluid the steps, clear the front garden, clean all the windows, walk on the Downs,walk around the house incessantly, annoy the wife, go to the allotment, get up at 4 for the cricket and more importantly it has for now relieved the swelling in my knees. So ignoring the rheumatologist's advice I decided to do a drugged up Parkrun this morning. Good to see fit looking [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for my first run since August. Stayed on the grass and mud for cushioning and ambled round in a puffing 27:30. Good to be back.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here