Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail-Smith

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There's only one Chris O'Grady who, despite all the positive messages that came out when he was denied a move to Sheffield, has been completely bloody sidelined in favour of a top bloke, who runs his heart out, tries as hard as he can, expends more effort than anyone else on the field... and is still pretty bloody ineffective.

Time to start COG week after week instead.

Icy gull above comments on whether CMS is really the man to get us into the premier league....do you think COG is also the man to get us into the premier league?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Icy gull above comments on whether CMS is really the man to get us into the premier league....do you think COG is also the man to get us into the premier league?

Neither of course. And they are different players who needs other strikers in the squad. If it was a choice btw the two though its CoG as he is more effective at this level

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If the question had been "should we keep COG" the answer would have been exactly the same, however he is on a three year contract. I am really hoping TB releases some serious funds for forwards or that we get lucky with a loan. If not we won't be challenging next season regardless of how good the rest of the team is...imo obviously

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If the question had been "should we keep COG" the answer would have been exactly the same, however he is on a three year contract. I am really hoping TB releases some serious funds for forwards or that we get lucky with a loan. If not we won't be challenging next season regardless of how good the rest of the team is...imo obviously

Exactly....neither is good enough as things stand and surely serious money will be needed to invest in not just a striker but other areas of the side..is we still interested in becoming more than a championship side.
Given CH's previous interest in CMS i wonder what efforts if any he will make to keep him....this Summer should be very interesting transfer wise (hopefully)..if we r still in the Championship.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Given the money we spent on him and the wages he's lapped up I'd say he's been our worst signing ever.

Nah, he scored a few goals in his first 2 years, as well as a few assists and won some pens, and he generally has given his all to get back into the first team. Kemy, on the other hand, has played about 5 average games and taken 2 years worth of hefty wages.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
None of our at strikers are good enough to get us into the Premier League and that is a fact. COG has has a bit of a renaissance of late, Baldock is mainly a winger for us, Best won't stay past his loan and CMS' confidence has been destroyed by a succession of managers misusing him. I'm all for giving him another year on reduced wages but whatever happens a new striker is badly needed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was always team CMS, and more recently on the fence but after yesterday I genuinely don't care if he doesn't play for us again. Absolute League 1 player at best

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Icy gull above comments on whether CMS is really the man to get us into the premier league....do you think COG is also the man to get us into the premier league?[/QUOTE

He may help get us there but wouldnt be good enough if we get there. Did Leicester pay all the money for Ulloa or could we get him back for any outstanding money as CPFC did with Zaha.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The madness is that even if Leon Best was available ( not that i would want him )...we probably could not afford his wages.IMO this will leave hunting for strikers this summer very frustrating ......as per normal !!!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If he takes a 50% pay cut then he can stay.

I would give him a 2 year deal on half pay with a healthy goal bonus then try to get the best out of him. If it works then great we have a scoring striker and if it half works and we can get better then he becomes a saleable commodity.

there is one problem with your theory, he actually cant play football.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Given the money we spent on him and the wages he's lapped up I'd say he's been our worst signing ever.

Based on the amount we paid for him and comparing that to the return I think this is 100% correct.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think if i were out in the wild and maybe came to blows with a near-retired bear that i'd hurtfully stolen the hot morning pudding from, then i think i'd want a squirrel or two close by to carry out the surgical sutures on my clawed brow and reattachment of the yanked off old ursine testes of the now whimpering grizzly when the scrap came to an agreeable close. They do seem to have useful medical nous in their scamper and waggle.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I struggle to understand why we'd want to keep him, are we not aiming to get to the Premier League? Even when we were good he wasn't prolific. We desperately need strikers who are are very big upgrade on CMS to stand any chance of promotion.

Spot on - and the same goes for Baldock and COG - none are good enough to get us in the top 6 next season

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The problem is CH played him as a target man and we all know that he isn't and actually needs to play off one himself. Yesterday proved it when all the hoof ball directed at him came straight back again. When COG came on at least he managed to get others into the game

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
LOL!
Because he would sign that! He would just leave and go else where for more money or similar money and more game time.

Fine. Then we've not lost out then have we? He's > 24 therefore doesn't command a fee for moving on a Bosman and is out of contract so not saleable unless we offloaded him in the January window which we didn't

Doubt his Championship record thus far would entice a higher wage paying competitor and even at half his current wages I expect this rules out most of the League One contingent. I think this is something he might seriously consider given that he feels he has unfinished business with us.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
As another poster has alluded to above, he must be the worst pound for pound (No Kemy jokes here!)) signing the club has ever made.

£2.5 million transfer fee and 4 years of wages of at least £10,000 a week = £4.5 million!

He might well be better off with a target man alongside him, but there is no excuse for having a touch that is worse than a county league footballer. I am sure if we all trained full time that we could run around like a headless chicken for 90 minutes every Saturday. His confidence is shot to pieces after 19 games without a goal and should be released on June 30th before we waste any more money than is necessary on him.

With him, Kemy Agustien and a lot of other dead wood being out of contract in the Summer, I for one am looking forward to Chris Hughton, having had time to evaluate everyone in the squad to overhaul it and ultimately improve it and get better value for money.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The madness is that even if Leon Best was available ( not that i would want him )...we probably could not afford his wages.IMO this will leave hunting for strikers this summer very frustrating ......as per normal !!!

I agree. Decent strikers are completely overvalued and agents hawk them round to get the highest price. We simply do not have the resources to compete which means our scouting system has to unearth some unpolished gems from lower leagues or abroad with all the attendant risk that entails.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here