Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX expansion - there must be a plan hidden away somewhere......

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Depends how long you plan on living.

I doubt you'd get more than 50 years out of modern architecture.

Well my telegram from the Queen, (or l guess King by then), will be 12 years old when the Amex reaches it's half century, so it will most certainly see me out!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Expanding the stadium to say 40,000 would be impossible without massive structural changes to the stadium and improvements to the current travel plan, so it wont happen. But getting it to somewhere around 35,000 I think is possible with additions like a small second tier added over the north and south stands, possibly adding a new front row along the west & east upper, and a bit of a re-think on the north east corner to make better use of that space.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Expanding the stadium to say 40,000 would be impossible without massive structural changes to the stadium and improvements to the current travel plan, so it wont happen. But getting it to somewhere around 35,000 I think is possible with additions like a small second tier added over the north and south stands, possibly adding a new front row along the west & east upper, and a bit of a re-think on the north east corner to make better use of that space.

Thought this came up at the Fan’s Forum every time, and the answer is always the same.........

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It would appear possible to add a small second tier at the south, and possibly the north (exec type boxes) and go safe standing below . . . .maybe take us to mid 30's

If we continue to grow into a regular top ten PL side, then as has been suggested, redeveloping the derelict retail park in Hove efrom Goldstone lane to Sackville road, into a modern city stadia called 'The Goldstone ground' with underground parking, hotel etc would be my preferred option.

I'm sure most local residents would prefer that the the shit that's there now

I wouldn't let Dick Knight, or any of the Falmer For All team see that second paragraph if l were you. After their many years of sterling work, obtaining planning permission etc. etc. they may feel a tad upset.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The stadium is fine. Just want a hotel built near the ground with a huge bar area.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
It would appear possible to add a small second tier at the south, and possibly the north (exec type boxes) and go safe standing below . . . .maybe take us to mid 30's

If we continue to grow into a regular top ten PL side, then as has been suggested, redeveloping the derelict retail park in Hove efrom Goldstone lane to Sackville road, into a modern city stadia called 'The Goldstone ground' with underground parking, hotel etc would be my preferred option.

Problem with this is there is a planning application to build some flats/houses on the Peugeot dealership on Newtown Road. Once that's gone it's hard to see how you could fit a large stadium on the site without that land.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

This isn't going to happen. Infrastructure can't cope with thousands more.

Additional corporate facilities said to be coming above North Stand. (Previously discussed in this thread)

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
I wouldn't let Dick Knight, or any of the Falmer For All team see that second paragraph if l were you. After their many years of sterling work, obtaining planning permission etc. etc. they may feel a tad upset.

I wouldn't be so sensitive, I think everyone is delighted with Falmer and happy to have a proper football ground.

However, opinion can be expressed- of course the Goldstone location is far more convenient for people live in Brighton and the station (Hove) would be able to larger volumes of passengers v Falmer. A move like that (to Goldstone) would never happen as that retail park is pinned in by road from all sides and local residents would probably have opposition.

I think the only disappointing factor is that we could never find a site located in a location accessible to most residents, this would have definitely helped if we were to ever fall down the division but I think that comes down to lack of viable sites and planning permission.

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
This isn't going to happen. Infrastructure can't cope with thousands more.

Additional corporate facilities said to be coming above North Stand. (Previously discussed in this thread)

Bit disappointing- if there was any expansion it should be to seating, the North is the only atmospheric area in the ground.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But the 2 giant arches would be in the way, which are anchored into hundreds of tonnes of concrete underground. All 4 roofs are dependent upon those arches.

Yes but an independent stand built as a second tier wouldn't obstruct the current groundings. Man City and Liverpool have proved this.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes but an independent stand built as a second tier wouldn't obstruct the current groundings. Man City and Liverpool have proved this.

If money were no object then anything is possible. Exactly how do you build an independent stand within the stadium, one that wouldn't obscure the view of those at the back of the north or south and one that doesn't mean those at the back of that upper tier can't see the goal at their end! Also, not very cost effective to spend millions on increasing capacity by just a few thousand. Not quite sure how you envisage what they did at Liverpool and Etihad as being similar to Falmer!

Besides, we don't need a bigger stadium, we're only in our second season in PL, not won a cup or even threatened to.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is it possible to upgrade Falmer station even further?

I know they upgraded it so it can handle 8 car trains, but would it be possible to upgrade it by even more?

What would be the point? Southern would only find an excuse not to run any extra/larger trains anyway.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Is it possible to upgrade Falmer station even further?

I know they upgraded it so it can handle 8 car trains, but would it be possible to upgrade it by even more?

The platforms at Falmer could be extended eastwards to 12 car length with little problem (ideally though you'd want to extend the Brighton platform westwards so that people used the full extent of the platform, but that would mean moving a signal and therefore greatly adding to the cost).

Rolling stock availability aside, the real problem is Lewes. The twice hourly Brighton-Lewes shuttle uses platform 5 and that is only long enough for 6 cars so this would diminish the value of lengthening the platforms at Falmer. Any 12-car through trains would have to use selective door opening at Lewes and have extended dwell times when busy. Remodelling Lewes to accommodate longer trains would cost tens of millions.

Dr. No

Nov 28, 2016

No.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The platforms at Falmer could be extended eastwards to 12 car length with little problem (ideally though you'd want to extend the Brighton platform westwards so that people used the full extent of the platform, but that would mean moving a signal and therefore greatly adding to the cost).

Rolling stock availability aside, the real problem is Lewes. The twice hourly Brighton-Lewes shuttle uses platform 5 and that is only long enough for 6 cars so this would diminish the value of lengthening the platforms at Falmer. Any 12-car through trains would have to use selective door opening at Lewes and have extended dwell times when busy. Remodelling Lewes to accommodate longer trains would cost tens of millions.

That would pretty much be a 'no' then. :O

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We’re booked for our first stadium tour later this month. Looking forward to it.

The same old debate, but I wonder if there’s space for several more rows at the back of the NS (taking away office and plant space)? I realise the cost will be far greater than the small increment in revenue, but to increase capacity and to scale up the home end in proportion to the huge WS and ES.

Pretty much this.

Sure, if we remain a PL fixture for the forseeable we could easily envisage 35-40k almost every week, but the times we can't fill it will look shit.

Regardless of increasing capacity, I have (long before we were promoted) always wanted a bigger 'home end' and that remains my one true disappointment with our ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here