Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
think an act of parliament would be required otherwise an anti-Miller will raise a court case. after all PM couldnt write the letter to leave without parliament say so. sooner MPs accept this and set about resolution the better.

Not sure that is correct. The ruling was that it should constitutional and following a democratic process. That could simply be a vote in parliament.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The UK is due to leave the European Union on 29 March, 2019 - it's the law, regardless of whether there is a deal with the EU or not. Stopping Brexit would require a change in the law in the UK. The European Court of Justice ruled on 10 December 2018 that the UK could cancel the Article 50 Brexit process without the permission of the other 27 EU members, and remain a member of the EU on its existing terms, provided the decision followed a "democratic process".

The result was the majority won and Article 50 was triggered as a consequence... Thats my last word on the matter Im bored or arguing with remainers who dont or wont understand the law.

Have a good evening.

The problem here is that you and your ilk throw the word democracy around like it’s a stick with which you can club baby seal remainers to death with. Unfortunately for you there are two types of democracy at play here, plebeian democracy vs parliamentary democracy. You’ve convinced yourself that plebeian democracy is the way for you because it supports your Brexit agenda. The thing is the UK runs on parliamentary democracy. Always has done. So when an act of parliament passes a bill to withdraw article 50, this is a wholly democratic process that falls in line with the ECJ ruling.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
That is quite insane if you think about it. Exactly what part of WW2 was "glorious" for anyone? To refer to an even that killed millions as "glorious" is delusional! But then that is brexit thinking all over I suppose.

Most if not almost all reasons for wars are through the lens of history are seen as at best spurious but the Second World War and our role within it was seen a the time as just and through the lens of history still just

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The problem here is that you and your ilk throw the word democracy around like it’s a stick with which you can club baby seal remainers to death with. Unfortunately for you there are two types of democracy at play here, plebeian democracy vs parliamentary democracy. You’ve convinced yourself that plebeian democracy is the way for you because it supports your Brexit agenda. The thing is the UK runs on parliamentary democracy. Always has done. So when an act of parliament passes a bill to withdraw article 50, this is a wholly democratic process that falls in line with the ECJ ruling.

If parliament is up for the fight and wants to take on plebeian democracy then bring it on. I dont fancy their chances much and dont believe they have the stomach for the consequences anyway.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think the people of occupied Europe felt a sense of some “Glory” after years of German aggression came to an end, I fully understand why a Fifth columnist would not understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that many of those heroes who fought saw any glory. They were just bloody glad it was all over and wanted to return home in the hope it never happened again.

What was truly glorious was the social transformation their return brought to the future treatment of citizens of their own nation. Our 'glorious' past was never that. Working class folk had to fight the establishment's wars to put bread on their kids plates and return home to nothing in reward. No longer- well, that's debatable.

So perhaps the Second World War was glorious- but not for the reasons knuckle dragging flag flying imperialists would have us believe.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Seaborne directors appear to the same as for Alboney ferries who also have no ships I would like to know who has shaes in either company

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I don't believe the BBC. I have proved at least one of their news items was a lie. They ignored my complaint when I contacted them to say so.

The BBC never reply to awkward questions. Only last week I enquired as to why they didn't report on the UN panel that sat on the 20th of December, looking into reports that the dubious Syrian White Helmets are involved in organ theft, staged attacks, links with Al Nusra Front and other criminal activities. We're told they're a humanitarian organisation, if there's any doubt it should be reported imo.

I'm still awaiting a reply.

Impartial? Are they bollocks.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know what the word MAJORITY means.

And I know what BETTER THINGS TO DO ON NYE means. I also know what living in SWINDON means. If you want a hint, it begins with L and ends in OSER.

Happy new year my friend.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Right, I may be a little thick (well a lot actually) but hopefully I’m acting as an advocate for all those too scared to ask, in case it made them look silly (take it as my New Year gift to you all)...

But why?

Why do we need a freight service run from Ramsgate in the event of a No Deal?

Is Dover being annexed when we leave, will the European companies take their ships, and the millions of pounds they make each year, and go and sulk with them in Calais?

Please enlighten me as I don’t get it!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Right, I may be a little thick (well a lot actually) but hopefully I’m acting as an advocate for all those too scared to ask, in case it made them look silly (take it as my New Year gift to you all)...

But why?

Why do we need a freight service run from Ramsgate in the event of a No Deal?

Is Dover being annexed when we leave, will the European companies take their ships, and the millions of pounds they make each year, and go and sulk with them in Calais?

Please enlighten me as I don’t get it!

Every single item that goes through Dover is covered by regulations relating to the Single Market & Customs Union. Border Force can check most lorries within seconds.
If there is No Deal, every single item becomes subject to customs and tariffs, none of which have been worked out yet. Each cargo, on each lorry, could take an hour just to examine their paperwork, and thousands of lorries pass through Dover every day.
Remember the queues when the ferries strike? That could become normal.
Now consider that quite a lot of goods are perishable.

This is only in a case of No Deal, but we are told, MPs won't let a No Deal happen, or will we? This government is saying one thing yet doing another.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Every single item that goes through Dover is covered by regulations relating to the Single Market & Customs Union. Border Force can check most lorries within seconds.
If there is No Deal, every single item becomes subject to customs and tariffs, none of which have been worked out yet. Each cargo, on each lorry, could take an hour just to examine their paperwork, and thousands of lorries pass through Dover every day.
Remember the queues when the ferries strike? That could become normal.
Now consider that quite a lot of goods are perishable.

This is only in a case of No Deal, but we are told, MPs won't let a No Deal happen, or will we? This government is saying one thing yet doing another.

Yep got that, so the French are quite happily going to let produce that their companies are selling go to waste, will that not have a detrimental effect on their own businesses and those of other European companies exporting to the UK?

Or is this all just more scare?

Just as an aside, what happened before when boarder checks were made? Did the country grind to a halt?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep got that, so the French are quite happily going to let produce that their companies are selling go to waste, will that not have a detrimental effect on their own businesses and those of other European companies exporting to the UK?

Or is this all just more scare?

It's nothing to do with the French or other companies. Trading agreements are in place now, and then will be ripped up, if there is no deal.

TM says she is very clear and confident her deal will go through, but is spending millions on contingency plans in case it doesn't. It appears to be a form of blackmail to other MPs that it's her way or chaos.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's nothing to do with the French or other companies. Trading agreements are in place now, and then will be ripped up, if there is no deal.

TM says she is very clear and confident her deal will go through, but is spending millions on contingency plans in case it doesn't. It appears to be a form of blackmail to other MPs that it's her way or chaos.

Ok I shouldn’t have said French, although obviously that’s where the final checks will be made. But are we seriously to believe that the European parties involved will happily see their produce go to waste?

As a further aside, apparently Ramsgate isn’t even capable of taking the type of ships required for large cargo landings (at present). Also 2 of the biggest contracts to bail us out of the mess are French and Danish, so good to see foreign companies gaining at our expense!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ok I shouldn’t have said French, although obviously that’s where the final checks will be made. But are we seriously to believe that the European parties involved will happily see their produce go to waste?

As a further aside, apparently Ramsgate isn’t even capable of taking the type of ships required for large cargo landings (at present). Also 2 of the biggest contracts to bail us out of the mess are French and Danish, so good to see foreign companies gaining at our expense!!!

No, they won't let their produce go to waste. They won't send their lorries over the Channel to languish in Dover in the first place, as they have 26 other countries they can sell to without any hassles, and that's not including those with trade deals who aren't in the EU.
In the meantime our transport will have to jump through hoops to get our lorries abroad. The government has made transport chiefs sign non disclosure agreements. I wonder why that is?

I recommend you find the YouTube video of Three Men in a Pub.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just as an aside, what happened before when boarder checks were made? Did the country grind to a halt?

It was a very different world. People bought most of the goods from local shops, which tended to have local suppliers. People ate seasonal food - the idea that we'd have strawberries in December would have been alien to most of us.

As we were pretty self-sufficient in food, had our own fishing fleets and a plentiful supply of coal, we needed to import far less. We now produce about 60% of our own food, so that alone adds to pressure on the ports.

On top of that, we had a big light engineering section, based mainly in the West Midlands, a thriving textile industry in the north and many motor manufacturers, again reducing the need to import. The car industry would have bought pretty much all its parts locally, for example - it's very different now.

You also have to consider that we had many more docks about 50 years ago - London docks handled about 40 percent of the UK's trade at one point - that's all gone (my father-in-law is an ex-docker and will tell many tales about the heyday of London's docks). Other docks have gone or have been scaled down so the traffic we have coming through ports now is concentrated on a few pinch points.

And don't forget, before we joined the EEC, we were a member of EFTA, so we already had a free trade agreement in place with many European countries as well as trade agreements with the Commonwealth.

You can't really turn the clock back to what it was like then, it was a very different world.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The BBC never reply to awkward questions. Only last week I enquired as to why they didn't report on the UN panel that sat on the 20th of December, looking into reports that the dubious Syrian White Helmets are involved in organ theft, staged attacks, links with Al Nusra Front and other criminal activities. We're told they're a humanitarian organisation, if there's any doubt it should be reported imo.

I'm still awaiting a reply.

Impartial? Are they bollocks.

The BBC lost its indipendace finally during David Cameron's first term in office when he installed Pattern as DG and he in turn moved out all editors who were not sympathetic to the centre right while telling everyone how left wing the BBC another case of the Establishment control

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here