Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 27 years ago today one of the greatest ever British indie albums was released

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And on it a song with the finest opening line in the history of pop music:

Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills n Bellyaches. The song in question is Kinky Afro and it starts with "Son I'm 30. I only went with your mother 'cause she's dirty".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcn4UG6Jd0s

The success of this album ultimately caused the ruin of Factory Records but even Anthony H Wilson never begrudged the band for that. Bloody love this album. It's the very pinnacle of when indie collided with dance. Did anyone else see them at the Brighton East Wing around that time when Sean had a big sweet jar full of spilffs?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wonderful album, the sound of a long hot summer coming of age for me. What a time to be young.

Will give it a play tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Reading Ryder's autobiography at the moment.

Glad I lived through the late 80s/early 90s. Amazing music.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Wasn’t it ‘Yes, Please’ that ultimately broke Factory? I think it was they recorded in in the Caribbean or some such.

Yes but this album was the one that made the Mondays as a top band and the money for Ryder, Bez and co to develop such a huge drugs habit that Tony Wilson shipped them off to Eddy Grant's studio. If it had seen more modest sales, Wilson wouldn't have okayed such a huge part of Factory Records finances for their next album.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
And on it a song with the finest opening line in the history of pop music:

Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills n Bellyaches. The song in question is Kinky Afro and it starts with "Son I'm 30. I only went with your mother 'cause she's dirty".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcn4UG6Jd0s

The success of this album ultimately caused the ruin of Factory Records but even Anthony H Wilson never begrudged the band for that. Bloody love this album. It's the very pinnacle of when indie collided with dance. Did anyone else see them at the Brighton East Wing around that time when Sean had a big sweet jar full of spilffs?

Don't think they ever played the East Wing, certainly not after Pills. They played the top rank in November 89 when the Madchester E.P came out. Black Grape played the East Wing.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Don't think they ever played the East Wing, certainly not after Pills. They played the top rank in November 89 when the Madchester E.P came out. Black Grape played the East Wing.

You're spot on. Apologies. My memory must be shot to pieces. It was the Top Rank and it was way back in 89. My brother sent me this photo recently of gigs that we did together and the Mondays one is there. Was the Top Rank re-designed in the 90s because I remember the stage being much smaller for the Mondays gig than the one in 96 (?) when Black Grape played there.

hm.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Only on listening to Ryder on 6 Music a week or so back did I realise that Step On was essentially a cover version.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You're spot on. Apologies. My memory must be shot to pieces. It was the Top Rank and it was way back in 89. My brother sent me this photo recently of gigs that we did together and the Mondays one is there. Was the Top Rank re-designed in the 90s because I remember the stage being much smaller for the Mondays gig than the one in 96 (?) when Black Grape played there.

hm.jpg

The DMC, PE, Derek B was great value, just a shame so many cleared out before the headline act.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

hm.jpg

Like the sixties, if you remember it clearly you werent there :)

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
looking forward to watching The Mondays on Wednesday night in Scunthorpe.. And Shaun Ryder's book mentioned earlier in the thread is a great read, funny.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House

hm.jpg

The top rank became the event in late 89/early 90.

The east wing was a different part of the Brighton centre / kings west complex from the top rank / event.

I think!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The top rank became the event in late 89/early 90.

The east wing was a different part of the Brighton centre / kings west complex from the top rank / event.

I think!

Yeah, I think the last band I saw at the East Wing was The Fall around 1998/99 when they brought out the Marshall Suite. Pretty sure they don't do gigs there anymore. It was always a pretty grotty part of a grotty venue anyway so I don't miss it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yeah, I think the last band I saw at the East Wing was The Fall around 1998/99 when they brought out the Marshall Suite. Pretty sure they don't do gigs there anymore. It was always a pretty grotty part of a grotty venue anyway so I don't miss it.

I think you are right it was grotty, i went to a couple of raves there in the early 90's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here